Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simpsons, Jan 22, 2009.

1. simpsons

simpsons Member

20 January 2009

I found this press release posted on the one click wesite The link for the actual paper is at the end.

Dr Sarah Myhill MB BS
    Upper Weston
    Powys LD7 1SL
    Tel: 01547550331 Fax: 01547550339

The International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine has published on line details of a biochemical test which measures energy supply to body cells and therefore fatigue levels in people with Chronic Fatigues Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME). The scientific paper entitled ‘Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Mitochondrial Dysfunction’ is available here, Int J Clin Exp Med (2009) 2, 1-16.

For treating the fatigue of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, doctors have been hampered by the lack of a good test. This scientific paper clearly shows that the fatigue of CFS/ME is a symptom of mitochondrial dysfunction. Mitochondria are the biochemical engines within every cell in the body, which supply energy to that cell. What is shown by this paper demonstrates that the more fatigued the patient, the worse is the mitochondrial dysfunction and vice versa. This means that we now have an objective measure of energy supply and therefore a test for one immediate cause of CFS/ME.

This test has resulted from the brilliant and pioneering work of the internationally recognised Dr John McLaren-Howard of Acumen laboratories. He has taken results from cutting edge research biochemistry and applied them to the clinical conundrums thrown up by the illness known as CFS/ME.

This test can help distinguish between those people who are fatigued because of a biochemical problem in their mitochondria and those fatigued for other reasons. Other reasons include dietary causes (allergy and carbohydrate intolerance), hormonal reasons (such as borderline thyroid and adrenal function), poor antioxidant status, chronic insomnia, psycho-social causes such as anxiety and other causes.

Many doctors are already using this test and hundreds of patients are already taking the necessary nutritional supplements to support mitochondria. Many of these doctors and patients have observed significant clinical improvements. For some their health is so much improved that they have been able to lead normal lives and return to the workplace.

Dr Myhill, one of the authors of the paper, says “This test represents a huge breakthrough in the diagnosis and management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. This illness has already been classified as a neurological disease by the World Health Organisation under ICD 10 G93.3, but many doctors continue to treat CFS/ME as if it were a psychological condition. This has been enshrined in NICE Guidelines for treating CFS/ME because their recommendations are for psychological treatments including antidepressants, cognitive behaviour therapy and graded exercise therapy. This is completely inappropriate for patients who have mitochondrial pathology and indeed is likely to make the mitochondrial pathology even worse.

“A useful analogy is to compare your body with your the car. The mitochondria represent the engine of that car, the diet represents the fuel that goes in the tank, the thyroid gland represents the accelerator pedal and the adrenal gland the gearbox of that car. Using cognitive behaviour therapy or graded exercise to treat a patient with CFS/ME is akin to beating up the driver of the car when actually the car needs a re- conditioned engine, suitable fuel in the tank, resetting of the accelerator pedal, a new gear box or whatever. This test invalidates the psychological model of CFS/ME and clearly establishes this illness as having a physical basis. Sufferers of CFS/ME have known this for many years but now we have the biochemical basis to prove this.

“This study clearly shows that CFS/ME has a physical basis with the potential for correction through physical and biochemical interventions. Clinical experience has shown that the package of supplements to support mitochondrial dysfunction is effective and this will be the subject of further studies.”

From left: Dr Norman Booth, Dr Sarah Myhill
    and Dr John McLaren-Howard

Dr John McLaren-Howard is seen here receiving the Maberley Medal from the British Society for Ecological Medicine for his outstanding laboratory work in the field of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine. It is his brilliant work and skills which have made this research possible. He has developed many known biochemical research techniques and pioneered new tests for investigation of patients with fatigue syndromes and related disorders. These have proved vital in ascertaining the cause of disease. The ATP profile featured in this scientific paper is just one example of many cutting edge research tools which he has applied to establishing disease causation.

Dr Norman Booth is a retired physicist from Mansfield College, Oxford University. Dr Booth has been responsible for ensuring the necessary academic rigor to ensure publication in this scientific journal. He prepared all the necessary graphs and illustrations which clearly show the relationship between mitochondrial function and levels of fatigue.

Dr Sarah Myhill is a clinical doctor with a special interest in the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome/ME. She was responsible for collecting the original data from her patients, and from the biochemical tests, and noticing a relationship between the two.

We are all especially grateful to those CFS/ME patients and non-patients who all co-operated fully without whom none of this would have been possible.

- ENDS -

> > NOTES TO EDITORS < <

For further information, please contact
    Dr Sarah Myhill
    Telephone 0154755033

2. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

The trick is getting your blood drawn and the samples there in acceptable condition.
  3. consuegra

consuegra New Member

I have shipped blood samples three times to Acumen via Fedex. Fedex has paperwork that needs to be done correctly and it has to be sent to a special address and not the P.O. box of Acumen, to which Fedex will not deliver. Each time it arrived in a condition that Dr. John McLaren Howard could do the necessary work on it and Dr. Sarah Myhill includes a quite long and specific analysis of the results. I would recommend this test if you can afford it. Dr. Myhill's office, contacted via email, will send the necessary test kits. One sample goes to Acumen and one goes to Biolab (for co-Q-10). I think they are handling a number of international shipments from the U.S. without complications.

4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, Simpsons! This is great news. I'm especially happy for our members who live in the UK!

5. simonedb

simonedb Member

this news can't hurt, cool

i have suspected mitochondrial tying in, but my question for u guys, is what if you have tried the often rec'd supps and had bad reactions to them? i find it hard to tolerate a lot of the ones rec'd for mito. i think if i kept messing with the doses i might eventually find a fraction of a fraction ok but i lose patience and organization in the process.
  6. simpsons

simpsons Member

simon i rather fatigued right now but straight away i can say you can get q10 from eating food with it in pork i think has the highest content its also found in fish.

perhaps you need to find a really good supp company that is completely natural and free from any artificial additives such as pesticides?

i found dr mclaren howards advice of eliminating chemicals from my environment has helped a lot with many symptoms as they were blocking my mitochondria. things such as toilet cleaners shampoo's airfreshers purfumes even soap. i have to have completely natural products. this has helped with the sensitivities that i have to almost everything. dr mclaren howard said that the chemicals blocked the mitochondria function,

also food intolerances are very worth looking at i cut out wheat and when i slip up i find the muscle pain and exhaustion lasts for days and i relapse the same with diary. although cutting them out completely is not a cure it certainly helps a lot.

The blinding migraines that were almost always present ready to kick off at the slightest thing and once they started often lasted for up to ten days, have got so much better. although if i use a shampoo with chemicals in it can come back almost instantly. also food has many chemicals in form of e numbers etc and microwaved food is also a no no dy myhill says it destroys the nutruients in food.

so my advice is that you try as dr mclaren howard advised me, cut all chemicals out of your life if you haven't done so already and detox yourself. Then you may find that your body is not feeling under permanent attack and may calm your system down.

then perhaps very very slowly at much lower doses than recommended introduce supps. magnesium can be found in food there is a plant that my herbalist told me was very high in magnesium which i can't think of the name begins with p. you can add it to salads etc. perhaps someone with less brain fog could help with which of the supps can be found naturally

[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2009]
  7. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

Which lab drew your blood, and how did you get it shipped?

I am not a do-it-yourself phlebotomist!
  8. quanked

quanked Member

what is the cost?
  9. simpsons

simpsons Member

i am in the uk so cannot answer where you can get blood drawn in usa. the details of cost for the test are on the web site of dr myhill at the bottom of the post.

i just got my regular dr to draw the blood and as mentioned above dr myhill will send you the pack that you need to take to your dr.

hope this helps

10. hensue

hensue New Member

So they do not do it in the US? Are you saying our blood has to go overseas?
    I am brain fog please keep it to me in simple terms. My son who is just fatigued and gaining weight. Would this tell him if it is chronic fatigue, thyroid or what? As for me i would love to do it if it would help!
  11. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

This test is exciting news and I would love to have it done, but it does sound a bit complicated getting blood there in good condition from the USA.

Does anyone know what the recommended treatment is if dysfunction is found? Is it the same supplements, etc. that we have already been trying??

I'm wondering if we can't get the test performed, if we can try the treatment and see if there is improvement....

[This Message was Edited on 01/23/2009]
  12. lea

lea Member

cover this test?