Pressure Pain in Head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by basketcase0576, Dec 19, 2005.

1. basketcase0576

basketcase0576 New Member

Hi All,

I am new to the board so a big hello to everyone.

I am 29 years old and 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been very lucky because although I was bed ridden in the beginning by changing my diet, slowing down my pace of life, supplements and a combination hollistic therapists I have managed to continue to work and live my life as normal as possible.

Stress does play a major part in how I feel and I have had a very unsettling year with loosing my beloved Mum to cancer, financial issues etc etc.

Although in recent months my health has been much improved and my boyfriend and I decided to take the plung and book tickets/visas to go to Australia for a year. We felt that the warmth, change of lifestyle and being away from the pressures of day to day life would give me the chance to deal with all my emotional issues and hopefully help me regain 100% control over my health however with just 5 weeks before we leave I have started developing new symptoms.

About 5 weeks ago I started getting pains and pressure in the right side of my head above my right ear and to the back of my right eye. At first they would just appear several times a week and then would disappear however for the last week it has been a continuous pressure pain in the side of my head which paracemtol just will not touch.

At times the side of my face will go tingly and feel numb. My teeth, ear and eye ache and my vision starts going funny in the one eye. I also feel at the time that I am going deaf in my one ear whilst this pressure is active.

My neck is occassionally sore with this pain and it tends to travel down my right arm and cause numbness in my little finger. Sometimes my leg will feel odd and abit numb aswell.

I have been to see my Dr and whereas I was hoping that he would just say a trapped nerve or tension headaches he has now put me into a state of panic by referring me for a MRI scan on my brain. I am having to pay for this privately because I am due to go away so soon but I am terrified.

My massage therapist is determined that it is tension as the pressure points in my head are so sensitive and she is determined that it is something to do with Fibromyalgia pain but my Dr is reviewing the possibility of Brain Tumours or a bleed on the brain.

Does anyone else suffer from similar pressure pains in their head? It is not like a normal headache it is just extreme pressure and very uncomfortable.

If anyone can advise anything it would be a big help.

Many Thanks
    Charlotte

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

It may be something simple like Temporal Arthrits. Push on your temple then go back about an inch or so. Does it hurt there. Does your eye hurt and it feels like the part that connects to the back of your eye hurt. Do a google on it....Geoff
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I too have had scans for my headaches and hopefully yours will rule out any major issues that may be going on. My headaches were similar to yours in their location and my dr was looking for what Goeff suggested in his post above. It was actually what I was thinking as I read your post.

I hope you get to the bottom of this by the time you leave on your trip! It sounds like you will be having a wonderful time.

I will be thinking of you and wish you the best. Again, welcome to the board.

Kelly
  4. lcaldwell

lcaldwell New Member

I have had these "pressure headaches" too. I once thought I was having a stroke. Tests did not display anything wrong. It is a weird sensation that would always through me into a panic.

Follow your doctor's instructions and get other things ruled out. I hope all goes well.
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have all of what you are describing!!

I just always think it is my TMJ. My joint in my jaw. I have been going to a dentist to have it treated. I wear a splint at night that he made for me.

I was going for a while then something happened and it got way worse. So now he took the splint and I am to not wear it and go back here in a couple of weeks to see how I am doing.

I also go to my chiropractor for it. They both say I have all the symptoms of it. Is it really hard to open you mouth very far??

Do you get a worse headache after eating something that is hard to chew? What about if you were to chew gum, would you get a headache? Are your headaches worse when you get up in the morning? Cuz you have clenched your teeth all night. Does it feel like you have a band around your head?

My pain is all worse on the right side too. I think I hold all of my tension there.

Not saying that you should skip the MRI. It's always good to rule everything out. I really should go have one done myself. I have never had one.

I would love to know what you find out. Cuz I feel the same way.

Good luck and welcome!! You will find a lot of wonderful and very helpful people here!

SherylD

6. basketcase0576

basketcase0576 New Member

Hello again to everyone..

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who replied to my post, you have all been a big help and support.

Secondly, apologies for not replying sooner. Later that day after I put my post on the board, I took a turn for the worse and admitted myself to hospital. I spent 4 days before Christmas in hospital whilst they did a number of Scans, Xrays, Blood Tests etc etc.

Fortunately, the CT Scan etc came back as clear so no signs of tumour etc which was what they were worried about.

From my X-Rays on my neck they said that my neck was in complete spasm and the muscles were pushing the discs together which was then trapping nerves... hence the pain in my head and also down one side of my body.

I have had a couple of massages since and this is slowly improving the tension in my neck but unfortunately this whole incident has left me in panic rather than being relieved.

I have been having terrible trouble with anxiety where I am terrified or going to sleep each night. Every single ache or pain I get I am convinced that I am going to die. I have started getting panic attacks again aswell.

I only have 3 weeks now before I set off around the world and I am scared stiff that I am going to get ill whilst I am away and what I will do if that happens because I wont have the security of home or the Dr's that I know.

I am sure in my mind that being away, better weather and not having daily stresses will actually do me the world of good but that anxious side of me is telling me that is will all be a disaster and I have even started worrying about getting DVT on the plane.

I know all of my worries are irrational but I cannot seem to talk myself out of it.

7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Most of the time mine are sinus related too. I really hope you don't have a Brain tumor. I'll be praying for that not to be true. I hope you feel better and also that it's just sinuses or something simple like that. I too love your username. I think we all feel like basket cases sometimes.
    Hugs,
    Angela