Pretty Much ANYTHING Can Trigger Our Illnesses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is always a steady stream of questions about whether someone's surgery, auto accident, flu, childhood abuse, emotional stress from a divorce, child birth, etc. could have triggered their illnesses.

ANY stress on the body, be it physical, mental, or emotional, can trigger our illnesses. There are some people who do not remember any preceding stress, but that is in the minority. Most of us can remember something which triggered the downfall of our health. Many of us can also recall a few symptoms from childhood which we now know was an omen of things to come.

Of all our problems, stress is the worst. We simply MUST find a way to reduce stress in our lives. That may mean making some pretty drastic changes in our jobs and relationships. It may even mean moving, but it must be done or we will just get sicker.

I believe we are gentically predisposed to our illnesses and that a stressor. or multiple stressors, just overwhelms our immune systems. The real question is not what triggered our illnesses, except in the case of chronic stealth infections, but how we are going to treat them and what changes do we need to make.

Love, Mikie
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

it can run in your family?

I think my father may have had FM or CFS, but was never DX'd. He was always in a lot of pain but the doctors never found anything. He passed away over 20 years ago and of course FM was never heard of back then.

laura
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Mikie -- I agree that the stress is something we must limit to the best of our abilities & learn new ways to try to deal with it. I do think this is a big challenge.

I am trying to consistently meditate & it really does help. I haven't gotten really good at it yet and haven't been so good about being consistent, but when something really upsets me I've been trying to do it and afterwards I feel much better . . . its almost like taking a step back and slowing down your brain . . . then you can think more rationally and objectively about the situation.

In the coping corner there is a good article called the "Glass Cage" which speaks of one woman's recovery. I found it inspiring (although I don't think she took much medication and some people cannot do without it). She basically talks about learning to change and lose the emotional baggage of all of the stress & to take care of your body so it can heal itself.

In some ways I think coping with the stress better is really the key . . . it is just so difficult to change. I think we all become programmed to just do and do and do, until we can't take anymore & literally collapse.

Terri
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I do believe there is a genetic connection. My Mom had FMS, I have CFS/FMS, and both my daughters have FMS. I think at some point a stressor triggers the illnesses in genetically predisposed people.

Meditation is good as is Tai Chi, Yoga, and visualization. I mentioned here a while back that my therapist was using hypnotherapy to help me learn how to be a well person again. I now use visualization to blow off my problems and stressors. It is faster than meditation, which I also do, and it easier once one gets used to it.

Remember the old song about "pack up your troubles in an old kit bag and smile, smile, smile?" Well, you can visualize packing up your troubles in anything you want to and just send them on their way. In therapy, I learned how to self-hypnotize and can go into the trance or relaxation response in seconds. It's really helpful.

Love, Mikie
  5. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hi Mike,

I totally agree....seems when I am REAlly stressed I get worse, like bad flare ups[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  6. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

I found that when stress hits, my body decides to quit. It also makes the depression worse, and takes awhile to get it back into control. Lots of people in my family and my boyfriend just don't understand that when a cold hits, the normal achy, stiff feeling is enhanced by 100% for someone with FMS. I do know that studies show that there IS a strong belief that FMS is hereditary. My doc wanted to know whether it ran in my family, but I was adopted from South Korea when I was 4 months old and don't know of my family's medical history.

So is it true that FMS decreases our immune systems? (therefore we get sick more easily than other people?)