Pretty nervous about colonoscopy Tues, UPDATE....It's Done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 22, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Edit on Wed, 10/25: I posted an update on the outcome of my colonoscopy. My update post appears on the top of page 2 on this thread. The short version: It was terrible.
    -------------------------------------------------------

I'm having a colonoscopy Tues. I'm kind of nervous about it.

The prep is the part that scares me most. You can't eat the entire day before the procedure--only clear liquids. I'm pretty much of a wimp when it comes to hunger! I graze all day long.

Then taking the Fleet phopho-soda sounds really icky. I'm hearing it really cleans you out. Anyone know how long that part lasts? I have to take it at 5 pm Monday, and it is supposed to start working 1/2 to 1 1/2 hrs later. Will I be up all night?

I also have an endocrinologist appt tomorrow morning (Mon). It will be a first appt with this Dr. I've been waiting for a couple of months for this appt. and am trying to not get my hopes up too much.

Anyway, back to the colonoscopy stuff--should I really pig out today so I'm not so hungry tomorrow? I guess it doesn't really work that way! Any suggestions welcome!

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi TwinMa - I had a colonoscopy a few years ago and the worst part of the whole procedure is drinking the liquid. I had to drink an 8oz. glass every 10 minutes until it was all gone.

You won't even remember the procedure because they sedate you.

Prior to preparing I would remove any hard to digest foods from your diet and switch to refined foods like cereals, breads, pasta and even soups or jello.

Love & Hugs!
    carolin

3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

took pills for his colonoscapy my brother in law did the drink he said it was awful. good think i made my hubby go at 40 the dr said if he waited until he was 50 he would have had cancer. my step dad died from colon cancer last year that is why i made him go. charlene
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

They recommend you take a pill now instead of the liquid as far as I understand it, so check on that will ya! You can also take the liquid mixed with soda BTW with no problem. Makes it easier to swallow(excuse the pun).

I agree, that starvation thing is the pits. I hope you have an early appt. as once I was scheduled for 11.30 and it was 4.30 before they did me and I was so thirsty I could scream. The actually forgot me I think.

However, the proc. itself is a doddle and over in a flash and pain free these days. The scopes get smaller and smaller.
    Good luck.

Love Anne
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

twinofdar - I guess that makes sense that you and Dar would have them close together, what with being the exact same age and everything! I checked on my instructions again and it does say to take the first dose at 5 pm. Then I take a second dose at 5:30am Tues. The procedure is at 9:30am. I bet it wouldn't hurt to take it at 4 pm instead of 5. I have to work on Monday, so 4 would be the earliest I could swing.

carolin - Wow! You had to drink a lot of fluid! I've heard of other people who had to drink something like a gallon of liquid before their procedure. Mine is just 1.5 oz at 5pm (I'll take it at 4pm) and another 1.5 oz at 5:30am. They do want me to drink 3 8 oz glasses of water before bedtime. Gee, I think that will keep me up all night peeing!

That is a good suggestion to eat easily digested foods today.

charlenef - The pills sound much easier than the drink, but I don't have that option. Good thing you got your hubby to go in at age 40. Did he have polyps or pre-cancerous growths? So sorry about your step dad. That's very sad.

cromwell - I do wish I had the pill option, but I don't. I had one person tell me that she drank the Fleet with liquid jello. That was the only way she could get it down.

Fortunately, I do have a fairly early appt. The procedure is at 9:30am. I have to be there at 8:30. Hopefully they won't forget about me!

[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  6. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

don`t be nervous i just had mine last fri and it was ok ,,

first time i`ve slept so good without dreaming,, it`s just

the taking all the med you have to drink to clean you out

and all my test came out ok,thanks to god!,,gmom,,,

i`ll keep you in my prayers,,you`ll be allright!!!
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

You are right, the prep is the worst part. The actual procedure is a peice of cake. They gave me demoral great stuff. Could have cared less what they were sticking up my butt!!

Anyway, I had two colonoscopies so far. My dr has me take the drink twice, just like you. I wasn't up at night that I can remember. But after drinking the second one in the morning, I couldn't be away from the pot for longer than I few minutes! It was hard to even drive to the hospital for the procedure. I was going right until they took me in the room. I was already pretty cleaned out, I was just passing clear stuff which the nurse said our bodies continuously make. That's why they have a suction thing on during the procedure. So the second time, I only drank a little more than half of the liquid in the morning but still drank the whole thing the night before. That made things a little easier and I was still cleaned out.

I think some drs have thier patients drink only one dose of the phosfo-soda. That makes more sense to me.

It used to be much worse. My mom had to drink this huge jug of liquid over the course of the day before. She said it was disgusting and it looked very difficult to swallow!

Good luck!! I hope you don't have any polyps because then you won't have to do it again for a long time!!
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

gmom605 - Glad your colonoscopy went well & glad your results were good. I like the idea of a good dream-free sleep!

mollystwin - Thanks for the good laugh! I don't often laugh out loud at something I read (I do smile alot), but your comment gave me a good LOL moment! Yippee for demerol!

I like the idea of not drinking the entire amount the morning of the prep. I'm supposed to drink 1.5 oz. Maybe I'll just drink 1 oz. I'm sure I'll be clean as a whistle either way. I hadn't thought about the ride to the hospital. It's 30 minutes away from where I live! Gee, maybe I'll get some Depends!

Okay, here's another question for you experienced folks. Should I put vaseline on my pooper before all the action starts? I just think of how sore I get when I have diarrhea. A little protective coating has got to help, right? I didn't see anything about that in the prep directions. Seems like it makes sense, though.

[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2006]
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- I have had so many, I have lost count. I am a rectal cancer survivor so I had one a year for 5 years now I go every 18 months.

I am a grazer too, but you can eat all the sugar free jello you want, just no reds or orange. I like the spakling white grape, you make it with soda intsead of water.

I also eat banana flavored popsickles. You can eat the whole box if you want. It helps with the chewing thing.

I mix the nasty drink with lemonade or diet 7 Up. I usually drink it an hour earlier then the instructions because I don't want to be up all night.

It helps if you don't eat alot the day before. If I have been constipated several days before I will take a laxitive on Sunday, then Mon the starvation with the test on Tues.

It just helps things move a little easier. But do drink all the water and then some.

I hope your Dr appt on Mon won't take long, take a water bottle with you and drink, drink and drink some more.

The test day isn't that bad, each Dr has their own way of sedating, some you are awake but relaxed. Me, I want knocked out because I have a unusal bend half way up and it was very painful for me. I know others who were awake and fine.

Then you will pass gas alot afterwards.

Good luck and let us know what they find. Are you having this done for a reason other than normal screening? Carla
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I was nervous before the one I had too but it wasn't even slightly as bad as I'd feared. In fact, I felt the best I'd felt in years after the "cleaning out"!

I was also concerned about not being able to eat but the liquid I was given to drink had electrolytes in it and I wasn't hungry or lightheaded in the slightest.

As for the procedure, it was simple. Once minute I was alert and the next minute it was over. I was groggy when I got home but a long nap took care of that.

My suggestion is that you relax, don't worry and know that it will all be over by Tuesday night.

Marta
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for your responses.

ckball - Sorry to hear you've had so many colonoscopies, but glad to hear you're a survivor. Thanks for all the tips on things I CAN eat. I LOVE banana popsicles! Root beer popsicles, too. Thanks for the reminder on taking water to my endo appt. Mon. I probably would have forgotten! This is just a standard scope because I turned 50. Yet another perk of hitting the big 5-Oh.

marta608 - I've been wondering if I'd feel better due to the "cleaning out". It makes sense. Clean out the garbage & you feel better.

One thing I plan to do is weigh myself before and after the big purge. I just wonder how full of s*** I really am! I've been told I'm quite full!

Thanks for all your comments. I'm feeling better about the whole thing now. You have ALL been very reassuring!
  12. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I have had so many I can hardly count them. The gallon medication is called "Golightly" and is sooo gross. To me it tasted like mucous and metal. I kept vomiting as I drank it. Now most docs prescribe what you have. My problems had alot to do with constipation so when I would take the medication I would go once or twice and I never woke up to go to the bathroom through the night. The first time it wasso funny. In the recovery room I was in a bed right next to the restroom. My husband and I heard the echoes of many passing gas during our stay. One woman went in and passed the loudest fart we ever heard in our lives...and it lasted forever! My husband looked at me and said wide eyed "I have never heard that sound from man or beast!" It was so funny. When she came out my husband quietly clapped for her in awe. Wow...made a rough time a funny time.

I do want to say though if you are the type that builds up a tolerence to pain medications let your doctor know that. I need to take very large doses of medications to get results. The last time I had one I woke up during the procedure which was very painful. My doctor apologized afterwards and assured me that next time he will give me a larger dose. Just a thought. But afterwards I never have too much gas nor any after effects. All I want is a huge hamburger and fries!

Take care....it will all go well.
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for your support!

livnlife - Hey there! I love that you put the little waving butt icon next to your message! Brilliant! It's the only time I've seen it used appropriately! Very funny!

mymichelina - Ewww...I'm glad I don't have to do the Golightly. That sounds nasty! Your recovery room story is a riot. Toooo funny!!! I can almost hear what you are describing....and it's making me laugh, too!

Good suggestion on the pain med tolerance issue. I'll definitely let my doc know what I take.

Well, I'm sitting here drinking my water and wishing I was eating my morning shake. I'm hungry already!

I'm about to leave for the endocrinologist appt and then I have to go into work. Then at 4:00 I'll take my first dose of Fleet. Oh boy. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day!
  14. lazygrant

lazygrant New Member

its not that bad really. i freaked out the following morning when i had a BM and it was white. they never told me to expect that. so.......if anything is white when you use the bathroom, don't panic.
  15. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I've read through these posts and there is an abundance of information here on Colonoscopys. I know alot about them but I've never had one.

I live in Florida and all my family and friends live in Massachusettes. I wanted to add a few things but most of all, wish you Luck!

My dad is 79 yrs. old and my mother is 78 yrs. old. My dad has had Alzheimers for about 7 years now. My mom took him for his first Colonoscopy last Thursday. Everything was fine except that his doctor found a polop (sp) and removed it. I talked to them on Wednesday afternoon and my dad was in the middle of drinking the liquid. I know that it was an awful lot and it had to be timed. My mom got dad popsicles and jello. The doctors office didn't tell her, anything but Red (cherry, rasberry ect...). So they ran back down the store and got different flavors.

To be honest with you, it was harder on my mother than my dad, due to the fact my dad having Alzheimers and gives my mom a very hard time about EVERYTHING, but forgets shortley after.

I've had a few endoscopys and diagnosed with acid reflex, which is under control with Prilosec. Dr. Perrotta is an Gasto...(sp) doctor and he is an excellent doctor. I did not have a primary doctor at the time the hospital diagnosed me with Fibro., and Dr. Perrotta took it upon himself to be my doctor through the course of being in the hospital, on Morphine drip for 2 months, until they found out what was wrong with me.

I'm sure you will be just fine.

Eileen
  16. forfink

forfink New Member

I agree. I started prep at 3 pm like the instructions said and was still up most of the night having to go every couple of hours, so a little shy of being too far from the toilet.
    Getting to the hospital at 6 am, I was still in the rest room right before the procedure. I't wasn't painful, just annoying to have to go so much.
    The procedure was easy, no pain, or ill affects after, I felt fine. Hope that helps. Must have eaten 3 cartons of jello. I'm with you, I love to eat, maybe not a lot, but feel better to graze all day on good food. That was the difficult thing not to eat.
    The drugs will do the trick, you will do great!!!! I had fun being in LaLa land, my husband laughed at my nutty behavior.
  17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi TwinMa!

I know you've gotten tons of responses, but wanted to add one more thing. Make sure everything you eat the day before is on the APPROVED LIST. Otherwise, the docs won't get a clear pic of your colon. I saw that you mentioned root beer popsicles and wasn't sure if that was something you were planning to eat.

Everything you eat and drink the day before MUST BE CLEAR. Sometimes the food/drink instructions they give you aren't specific enough or they accidentally leave something out, which happened to me.

I've had a couple colonoscopies and remember wanting to drink fruit punch flavored Gatorade and almost had some because the instructions didn't say either way if that flavor was ok. I thought, "what the heck", maybe I'll call and double check. Good thing I did because that flavor was too dark of a color (ie not clear enough) and if I had drunk it, I would have had to go through all of that prep work AGAIN. Yikes! :)

Typically, they want you to have 7ups, lime and lemon flavored jellos and clear broths the day before. They are clear enough for them to be able to see your colon the next day.

P.S. I'm like you in that I'm always hungry! However, that phospho soda they have you drink really empties you out and kills your appetite. ***Something that helped me with the Phospho soda: Taking sips of 7-up in between and sucking on ice.***

Plan to watch a favorite movie or something the day before to get your mind off of it. The Phospho soda REALLY will clean you out, as they say. How long that will last will depend on how much food you have in your system, but it unfortunately takes some time. Having a nice movie to watch and/or a good book to read will help get your mind off of it.

Let us know how it goes. You'll do fine!

Warm hugs,

Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  18. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Twinma, Just want to chime in too, concerning early prep. I had mine last summer and was instructed to start the liquid at 4 pm. This was too late of time and kept getting out of bed all night long.
    You will be fine during the procedure, they make you drowsy so you won't remember very much.
    Take care,

Laura
  19. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You guys are all awesome! I really appreciate all the good information you have given me!

This will be such a good reference thread for anyone doing a search on colonoscopies.

I'm done with my endocrinologist appt. That went better than I expected, but I'm still processing all the info she gave me. I'll post about that separately as I can.

Right now I'm at work. All I have drank so far is water and regular old filtered apple juice.

Amazing how much I've thought about food! I'm so geared to snacking on something the minute I get hungry. I don't eat big meals, and am rarely "hungry" due to the snacking. It's actually an interesting experience!

No root beer popsicles for me today. Maybe I'll treat myself tomorrow! Thanks for the pointer, though!

I wonder if I should hold off on the blue Gatorade? Maybe I will just to be safe.

I have some work to do before I can leave and start my prep, but I'm taking all of your advice and starting earlier than they said (they told me 5:00). As soon as I can get out of here, I'll go home and Fleet myself.

And, of course I'll weigh myself before and after! LOL!

Thanks again for all your wonderful support!

P.S. I just had to follow livnlife's lead and use the little mooning icon. How appropriate!
  20. sluigiru

sluigiru New Member

it's not as bad as it seems. drink fruit juice have broth or bullion with green or yellow jello during the day...with the phospho soda try eating a spoonful of lime jello before drinking - it helps the taste and oily feel.
    as for being up all night...it's like taking any laxative. you should sleep okay. good luck. it's an important procedure.