Preventing crashes with a Pedometer: What's your number?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cfsgeorge, Apr 9, 2009.

1. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

I've been using a pedometer(~$10) which measures the number of steps you take. I could not accurately figure out how much physical exertion(walking) makes me crash or PEM/DPEM. It drove me crazy and miserable with the up and down unpredictable crashing.

Using the pedometer has been the most accurate way for me to test my walking limits and to prevent crashing. I want to share with you my numbers to help you figure out your numbers.

100 steps=1min 1000 steps=10min( based on normal walking speed)

Most days i'm housebound and laying on my back getting up only to goto the bathroom or kitchen. I average about 700 steps(7min) over my waking 16hours before i goto sleep. I was shocked when i first saw 700 steps because it sounded like alot, but it's only 7min on my feet over 16hours. When i am "crashed"/PEM, i average about 400steps(4min) over the 16hours i'm awake. On a very good day, i can walk 4 residential blocks back and forth(8blocks) which is about 2000 steps(20min).

I have a good day 1X or 2X a week. So now, i know that on my "good" days, i can walk up to 2000 steps or 20minutes continuously. A year ago, i couldn't even walk 10minutes w/o crashing. I improve my walking distance very slowly about every 4months. However, I am still unable to walk 2500 steps/25min w/o crashing so i am stuck at 2000/20 right now.

I also tried 2000/20 on a "normal" day, but i cannot walk the 2000/20 without DPEM(delayed) which crashes me for about 2 days. I will only go out and run short errands on my good days knowing what i know with the pedometer. Just going to the supermarket or the doctor's office will easily run up the pedometer 1500steps or more. I'm fine running 1 or 2 short errands on my good days as long as i know that i can't pass 2000 steps on my pedometer.

For comparisons, healthy sedentary people who do not exercise averages 10,000-12,000 steps per day.

I encourage everyone to get a pedometer. It has really helped to prevent crashing myself and to accurately track the status of my physical improvement. Those are my numbers. What are your numbers?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I found that the cheap $10 pedometers tend not to be very accurate. The cheapie pedometers were only counting about every fourth step. I ended up purchasing an Omron pedometer which is a bit more pricey, however, you set your stride length, thereby getting a much more accurate step count.

My average step count lately has been approximately 3500 steps per day. At no time am I getting any aerobic steps in (10 minutes of continuous walking). I still have a long way to go before I will ever be able to do the recommended 10,000 steps per day.
  3. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

"At no time am I getting any aerobic steps in (10 minutes of continuous walking)."

However little you do you are aerobic. You are aerobic 24/7 except for when you are anaerobic.
  4. consuegra

consuegra New Member

Thank you for an excellent posting.

Using a pedometer to gauge one's "energy envelope" is a practical step towards betterment. It is a real objective measurement. It is important to use an accurate pedometer. Many pedometers are not accurate. Dr. Benjamin Natelson writes about pedometers and establishing your "energy envelope" - and then how to try to expand it - in his fine book Your Symptoms are Real. Dr. Natelson recommends using a Yamax 701 pedometer. I find this is to be a good one.

Thanks again,

BILLCAMO New Member

But not for me...........

Blessings ,