Preventing Flares??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

i'm curious to hear specific ways to prevent cfs flares. i've found that in between flares i can live a somewhat normal life. during flares, it's game over. barring a cure, it seems the only way to move on from all this is learn to avoid flares. the most obvious way is to avoid stress and over-exerting; my latest flare was brought on by a night of dancing, which is a HUGE trigger for me, even more so than hiking or other activity.

so ...the scenario is: you've had your ups and downs, you've tried all the therapies, seen all the docs, you feel close to normal when you're not flaring, what supplements / tactics / philosophies do you use to avoid flares? we're talking preventative self treatment here.

eddie
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Do not over clean too much at one time. Do a little bit everyday. If you are doing something and your muscles are burning- you better stop or you will be very sore in the same spots the next day.

Try to stay low key-away from as much stress as you can. Don't try to prove to yourself that you do not have this dd and over do it- because it will knock you on your a--!!!

I have tried to prove to myself and tell myself that I can still do things that I should be able to still do at 29 yrs. old and then I am down for about a week. Anyway, I hope this helps you out.

Kriket
  3. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

What about relapsing from viral events? It's like having a bad case of the flu and it lingers for months. I'm in one now.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

CherylSue
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Maybe I just shouldn't be on the board today....

But I read that your latest flare was brought on my "a night of dancing" and I think, He/she can dance? At night?? Feels "almost normal when not flaring"? And it seems so obvious to me that a way to reduce your flares is to do less of whatever brings them on. Am I missing something here?

If I were you and I had "almost normal" times, I would be kissing the very ground I could walk on and being very conscientious about how my energy was spent.

You don't have a bio but you've been posting for two years so perhaps this is a relatively new illness for you? The best chance of recovery is in the first one or two years.

Good luck to you! Pace!
    Peace!
    Marta
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

... for your wise advice.

I drink plenty of water, and the pacing is how I get through the day. It's been two weeks, and I'm still slightly feverish, but the burning symptoms are lessening.

I'm too ill to go to an FFC center and too far away. My CFS doc believes I have an HHV6 infection that accounts for my remitting/relapsing CFS. He prescribes RX's, but I'm too sensitive to them and react adversely.

I checked out your herbal list, but from your experience, what attacks this virus the best? I've done the olive leaf extract thing, and that only helped once with a cold. I must have gotten used to it.

I'm back on ProBoost and Sambucol Elderberry extract, but I've been on that all year which kept me in remission. My body, again, must have grown accustomed to it. How do I fool these beasties?

Thank you for your input.

CherylSue
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

marta, i'm coming up on my third year anniversary since i got sick with the flu and never recovered. when i say i feel close to normal when i'm not flaring, i should add that i haven't worked in two years so i only feel normal within my envelope. i'll kiss the ground when i can work again without constant fear of a flare! the cfs viral episodes are much more debilitating to me than the fibro pain, which typically comes and goes no matter what i do. the rotating anti-virals is a good idea since i believe it may have been regular doses of samento that allowed me to live flare free for six months last year. as always, stormy is the voice of reason :))