Priced reduced Generic drugs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by llama, Oct 13, 2006.

1. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the recent announcements of retailers reducing the prices on generic drugs.
    Is it only for people without drug coverage insurance?

I thankfully have insurance through my spouse as I'm unable to work. But as a lot of us know that if you're on many meds just the co-pays can knock your socks off!

Between the monthly premium and the office co-pays and prescription co-pays it is nearly equivalent to our car payment or sometimes more if its been a bad month health-wise. Sorry to be venting but sometimes I get on a roll and just can't stop myself!

I'd appreciate any input.....thanks.......Jill.......
  2. llama

llama New Member

3. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your response. Maybe I'm not quite getting the whole picture here but most of my co-pays are $20-30 for each drug. If I can get a 3 month supply for $12-15 how am I not benefitting?

Again, maybe I'm confused, boy sure wouldn't be the first time for that to happen. Did my example make sense?

Actually, I do have a couple meds that are like $7-10 dollars. Well, I guess, I'll just have to call K-Mart and ask them, they have a program all ready in place in my area (Cincinnati) and I know my BIL takes advantage of it. Sounds like the Wal-Mart deal is starting in Florida, so who knows when it'll be in my area.
    Thanks again.........Jill..............

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The co-pays are horrible and I can only get one month's supply at a time. I just pay cash at Costco and it's cheap.

Love, Mikie
  5. llama

llama New Member

Thanks ladies,

Well, like Hayleycole said, you'll just have to go with whatever works best. I really won't know until these programs are implemented, although, as I mentioned before by BIL gets a 90 day supply at K-Mart for 15.00 sounds great to me.

Maybe if I ever get my SSDI awarded and be rich again (yeah right..hehe) saving every little penny won't be such an issue but for now I'm just hoping and praying that we don't get into serious financial trouble waiting while SSD plays their mind games with you!
    Thanks again.........Jill..............
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

haven't tried a generic for your medication, ask the pharmacist if you can try a few generics along with your regular med. I have had terrible luck with generics and haven't found even one I can use.

Even my pain med comes in a generic so at our pharmacists suggestion I tried it. I didn't remember that I had changed but had a really bad pain month. Before the month was over my husband reminded me we had gone to the generic. I called the pharmacist back and got a different one and I asked her if they'd had any complaints about the generic. She said "YES, only use the brand name on that medication. We've had Many complaints!".

So I'm just suggesting you try these generics, no matter how much you save, if they don't do the same job they aren't worth it.
  7. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

I've heard that same sentiment from other people, that often generics don't work as well.

Luckily, they seem to work for me. I'm on about 12 meds and about half are generic. I'd get them all changed to generic if I could but of course some are too new and the patent hasn't expired yet allowing other companies to produce their versions.

With as many meds as I'm on (plus diabetic so need testing supplies, syringes etc)I could never afford the full price of the brand name meds. If a generic exists for that med. my insurance will cover it, but if you really want the name brand you'll pay out of pocket costs.
    One of my types of insulin alone is 230.00 a month! Thank God insurance will cover it.
    Thanks for the reply...take care of yourself..Jill.....
  8. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Unable to pay COBRA for continued health insurance I am uninsured. I called up my local Walgreens to get a refill on Trazadone 300, 30 day supply. Was told with a smile I was given the "non Insured" discount for a total of $142.
    Well..obviously not being able to afford it, I left. With no prescription in hand. Remembering the ads about Walmart in Florida having a list of generics being offered for the price of $4 a piece, I called my local Sam's club. They said they didn't have the same program, but were definitely cheaper. She told me the same prescription would be $13.50!!!
    I was amazed!!! I called the doctor to make sure this was the same med and he assured me it was just another generic, and not to worry.
    Can you believe the pharmacy profit????
    Braidie
  9. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

So glad to hear your good news! Drug prices are out of control. Thank God, it appears that maybe someone "big wigs" have finally decided to extend a little mercy to us. So many of us simply can't begin to pay full price for all our drugs.

Glad you were persistent and found the good price!

Thanks for the reply.......Jill.........