Prickles... Can you help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BobinGermany, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with FMS and I believe I have CFS also but have not been diagnosed as yet on that one. Can you please give me a list of diseases/illnesses that you think I should be tested for and ruled out such as Lyme, etc? I am working on getting tested now for the Lyme and will have my doctor send me for a sleep study soon. I asked you for this information as you seem well studied on the subject. Of course I welcome information on the above from anyone that has knowledge on the various things to test and rule out.
    Thank you in advance,
    Bob
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I would suggest you be tested for thyroid problems, diabetes and anything else an Endo can test for.

I live in Stuttgart, have FM and have been in a flare that started in July of 04. Really bad, housebound/bedridden for much of that time.

Last fall I got worse again and found out I was hypothyroid. This year it was pre-diabetes and hypoglycemic. Symptoms for both mimic FM.

Where do you live in Germany? I'm in Stuttgart.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. I had the standard thyroid test from my doctor in the last 6 months and all was normal according to my doctor. Are there any special test for the thyroid? One doctor said that I had type 2 diabetes in June of last year. I tested my blood as recommended every day, several times a day and it was always in the normal range so I stopped the medication. I am an alcoholic and was in the hospital to get off of that mess :) I wonder if it was caused by stopping the alcohol and my body returning to normal? By the way I have been alcohol free since 6/1/06! I feel alot better without it.. And don't miss it one bit. I was thinking one day.... I said to myself... Hey! with fibro I can feel bad all by myself, I don't need to drink to feel bad so I just quit! As for testing I am very lucky as my doc will do or order anything that I want. I just need to know where to start!

I live in the Southwest area of Germany. In Rheinland Pfalz in a small town called Ruelzheim. We used to live near Frankfurt but it took my wife 1 1/2 hours to and from work everyday. So we were searching closer to work and found this little town and love it totally! We have 1 stoplight and they turn it off around 2 am! <smile>

Thanks again for the information and let's keep in touch. We can chat about or aches and pains and Germany :)

Hugs.
    Bob
  4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi!
    Thank you so much for the information. I will go to your site later today and do some reading there. With all of the different possibilities where should I start? Like I mentioned I am starting with a lyme test and a sleep study. What should I get tested after that, I mean is there a logical order for this? I have lived in Germany for 5 1/2 years now and have not made it to the Black Forest or much of anyplace yet due to the fibro. I have crutches and they help some but not enough. I have alot of pain in my hips and lower back when I walk. I need a wheelchair to do that. I feel alittle weird in a wheelchair. I have used them in the airports and it seems like people look at me thinking "He looks normal.... I wonder if he is just lazy".... I did live in Virginia Beach when I was in the US and I do remember getting bit by a tick on day when I was out hunting.
    Thanks again for all of the information and I wish you a pain free day today!
    Hugs,
    Bob
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

With prior alcohol problems, I'd also ask them to check your liver and to see how your body uses glucose. Might want to add insulin resistance to the list.

It's possible to be way out of whack from that alone.

Congratulations though for stopping, you're right...with all we have going on with our bodies, you don't need those problems too.

Also regarding Lyme, my husband tested positive for Lyme last year here in Stuttgart although none of the docs are treating him for it.

He isn't an 'outdoors' kind of guy, I mow the lawn etc...but he hasn't lived anywhere to get Lyme BUT here in years and years. You don't have to remember a tick bite or rash to have Lyme Disease. He's doing better on the supplements that I make him take and I've got him on Stephen Buhner's Lyme Protocol and it's helping.

Your town sounds wonderful too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi All,
    I hope you both had a good day today. I want to thank you both from the bottom of my heart for helping me. I have had this DD for many years before being diagnosed in 2003. I just went along and treated the symptoms and pain and never thought about trying to find the cause of it all. But the reading I have done on here has made me do alot of thinking and I am beginning to embark on my journey to get better. Prickles, When were you last in Germany? We are usually a little warmer down here in the southern part. The weather has been around 10-15C here. No real winter yet!

Thank you both for your help and I will let you know if I find out anything interesting!
    God Bless,
    Bob
  7. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

It sounds like you have your hands full with school! German AND business. I have been here 5 1/2 years and still struggle with the language. With the fibro, etc it would be hard to enroll in a German class so my wife is going to get me a tutor. I know hundreds of words but the Grammar is hard!

The weather here is 16C today! I cannot believe it. Feels like spring outside. I sure hope we all don't pay for the nice weather now in February...<smile>

As for smoking I have seen a few changes since I have been here. And alot of the Germans are working for more laws to ban smoking at least in some places. I do have to say it is the only place that I have ever been that has cigarette machines on the sidewalk!!!! :)

I wish you a pain free wonderful day and I thank you again for helping me with the information...

God Bless,
    Bob