Prickles Doctor (Pls. change Drs.)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Feb 18, 2007.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

He recommends

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy... I looked it up.

is a form of psychotherapy that emphasizes the important role of thinking in how we feel and what we do. Cognitive-behavioral therapist teach that when our brains are healthy, it is our thinking that causes us to feel and act the way we do. Therefore, if we are experiencing unwanted feelings and behaviors, it is important to identify the thinking that is causing the feelings / behaviors and to learn how to replace this thinking with thoughts that lead to more desirable reactions.

There are several approaches to cognitive-behavioral therapy, including Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, Rational Behavior Therapy, Rational Living Therapy, Cognitive Therapy, and Dialectic Behavior Therapy.
    ================
    Another site i read mentions so many of "us" had childhood abuse, including sexual. They are trying to sound as if they have it in hand and know more than they do.

Hey I never even got spanked, well once for a dangerous things I did, I was not sexually abused either. But if they found a way for me to get well...just open their door and stand to one side....as many would be there. I am not against therapy at all. I am tired of this. I did try it and was told that I was okay....mentally. That was after many sessions. She said that I was not creating my illness.

Hey, I eat green beans, drink water, have colored my hair, used make up, roller skated when young. Mmmmm. Take a poll and see how many of us did/does these things. It would have a higher percentage then the abuse issue. I feel for anyone that went through that, but I do not think it causes our illness.

LETS DO SOMETHING NEW..with the public....when speaking of Fibro ME/CFIDS. lets not mention that many doctors do not beleive in it. Okay back and forth here, but lets change the message to the public, even our family and friends,and ONLY speak of what the illness does to us. Lets stop the message that it is mental. It would be more productive and instrumental to leave that part out and focus on what is real. What is real is how it affects us and that more research is needed.

Anyone, including your Dr., if they mention mental...smile and say....Oh, they used to think that was a possiblity..and talk about other things.

Blessings.........Susan

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Prickles I am so happy that he is not your Dr. I am sure you had a great childhood as you have loving supportive parents in all ways. It shows.

Stovetop, I liked all you had to say here. How in the world did you comeup with that unusal name? For sure we will never forget your name. Makes me want to change mine here. But not sure what it would be. LOL.......Susan