Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Oct 8, 2007.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

As some of you know, I have been looking for a job. I was down-sized over 4 yrs ago from a job that paid very well.

Job searches are some of the hardest work I've ever done. And most discouraging.

Today I was offered a position in the school district. It is 6 hrs a day, 9 months at 1/3 of the hourly wages I had been making. It is in food services (lunch lady).

It is not enough for me to survive on. I know that but it has insurance that I desperately need. I feel I need to take the job but I also know I will keep looking for a better job.

Is that fair? Am I being too proud to accept that now, I am only worth 1/3 of what I was 4 yrs ago?

I have sat home and cried all day, just thinking about what to do.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Do you have any other applications in that might offer you something better? If so, can you stall for a little bit on the lunch lady job to see if something else pops up?

If not, I guess I'd go ahead and take it for the insurance.
    And just keep looking for something better. Nothing says you have to work there forever if you do accept the job, right?

Take Care!
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks Kellyann.

I have tons and tons of applications out. I just haven't gotten any responses. It is so depressing.

I can't really stall but I still have to pass a criminal background check and something else. If it's a credit check, I might not pass because I have finally gotten delinquent on a couple of credit cards. And I owe the IRS for back taxes. Another story, another stressor.

Also, when I talked to the head of food services, she said they had several different schools with openings, so they would have me go to each school for a week to see which I liked better (elementary, middle or high school) or if I liked it at all. So I guess I do have an 'out'. But I can just hear my dad talking in the back of my mind "if you have a job, you better keep it".

Maybe it's not my dad... maybe it's my alter ego??

I will probably work there since I need any money I can make, and like I said, insurance is a key issue.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

insurance, you'd better take the job and keep looking, right?

Anyway, people aren't worth what they earn. Look at the CEOs of companies that are losing money. Like auto manufacturers. The CEOs still get paid millions a year.

Look at the lousy movies where in the stars got paid millions.

Look at the sports figures. Their teams lose most of their games, but they get millions anyway.

It's all just part of the crazy world we live in.

5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

to make up the difference so you can keep your insurnace.

i'm sorry

6. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm sure alot of us can relate to the pride thing! the suggestion i have is that although you might feel like your not going to make what you used to,,,,,The inc. is a very Valuable benifit!

Plus getting back into the work force will Heighten your self Esteem and you will feel better Mentaly about alot of stuff!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Also less time to sit around and worry right? a step up as mentioned above and yes Keep lookin' for the next Higher paying job! The only way to go is UP!

Goodluck Dear!,,,,,,,Sis
  7. laceymae

laceymae New Member

My best friend is a lunch lady...she loves it. She really gets so excited about Her Kids.

I thought her daughter would be really embarassed. She was in high school at the time her mom took the job. She thought it wa so cool.

Don't know what state you are in, but here she has really good insurance, a supplemental flex plan also that pays for all over the counter pharmacy needs(bandaids, alcohol,etc) she doens't have to go to work when the roads are bad...and has almost three months off in the summer with pay.Also has state retirement.

8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

For your comments and ideas. I accepted the job today, got finger printed, got the work uniform (YUCK! I have to wear a visor) and tomorrow I go for my strength test, to make sure I can lift the case goods. Honestly... I might not pass it...

And the position is for a substitute food handler so I won't be working every day and at all the schools in the districts.

I know it's easier to find a job when you have a job. I will keep applying for other work, and follow up with the jobs I've already applied for.

Insurance is just so important to me right now. I need help with my prescriptions, I haven't had all the annual check up's I need for 4 years. I want to go back to my shrink.

I admire the women and men who work in food services in the school systems. It is a lot of work, and not always appreciated by the students and parents.

SO . . . .

I am going to do this, I am going to be grateful for it is, and I'm going to keep looking. One thing I learned from my last company, no one should ever feel secure or content. Nothing is forever or certain.

9. poohsmom

poohsmom New Member

You do what you have to do. You keep this job and in the meantime, keep looking for something better. Eventually that new job will come along, and in the meantime you have kept yourself afloat!
  10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Sounds good, that will be working and helping feed students. Should be interesting to see the personalities,etc, of kids. Probably appreciated more than realize now.

I work at a small hospital and the kitchen people are appreciated and seem pretty happy and have a lot of freedom to try different recipes and they will do small favors. I'm known as Mr Whitebread because I don't like the whole grain bread (it has sugar-corn syrup added!).

I do wish that jobs and "usefulness" and salary were a little more related. For some reason, full grown men bouncing rubber balls are considered "heroes" and paid hugely. Oh,well, why should I expect something to make sense in our crazy world:) Sometimes I wonder about the Holiness of the concept of "job".

whoops,.....a grumble: Probably the people who do least damage to our planet and to me are the guys that just sit on street corners and drink wine. Just one of my weird perspectives.

Hmmm, your previous job vanished and a new job has now been created. Someone is now making a bigger profit and our wonderful economy is creating jobs! Wheeee.

Whoops, I probably ranted a bit. Hope all goes well, and, yes, shoes are very important. Best of luck your mr Bill.

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2007]
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm so proud of you for taking the job! I had to giggle at the visor comment! Lolol! Hey we are here for you Girl!,,,,,,,,,,,,Goodluck tommorow!,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,Sis
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I will keep you in my thoughts as you start this new job...and hope that you can find something else soon that will meet your needs better.

Insurance is a big deal and I'm glad you will have it and get some medical help you need.

Take care...I'm praying this will be a positive experience for you. I have a friend who has worked in the food prep for schools for years...she loves her kids. May a real surprise (a good one!) be in store for you.

13. budmickl

budmickl New Member

For your encouragement and words.

I passed the physical this morning so I can probably work tomorrow. I need to call them back.

I know I can the job. I know it's better than what I have been doing (nothing, and spending up to 29 hrs a day on the computer). And I know that I need to keep looking for more gainfully employment.

It is sort of overwhelming to know I have to start being responsible again.

I will keep you posted on how it goes!

14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I think you might be surprised and really enjoy your new job! I know I wouldn't mind it one bit! I love working with kids! The hardest part will be the heavy lifting, I bet. I m so glad you passed the physical!

You go, girlfriend!

15. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I think my problem is mentally, knowing I can't live on the hourly wage they pay, and that I have been off work for 4 yrs. Going back to the real world of being depended on by other, actually getting out bed every day and showering every day.

About the physical.... I passed it but oh boy, let me tell you.... I can't hardly move. My body hurts as bad now as it did when I walked down 34 flights of stairs. I literally rolled myself out of bed just now. During the night, I was able to get up and take some Tylenol but I didn't get any relief.

Even when I'm not having depression issues, kids can get me in tears in a heart beat. Seeing their little faces with sadness, crying out for attention, whatever. I have always been that way. I told the lady who interviewed me that my only hesitation in doing the job is wanting to solve each child's problem and take them home with me.