Primary EBV infections reactivating HHV6: case report

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lichu3, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Nice to see someone paying attention in Japan.

A report of a young person with primary EBV infection (mono) having probable reactivation of HHV-6 by titers. Unfortunately, the report is in Japanese and can't tell if she developed CFS.

If people were CFS were able to get such testing done at the BEGINNING (within weeks) of their illness, it might help nail down the cause.

Hope to see more of this in the future.

Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 2008 Jan;82(1):47-50.Links
    [A case of infectious mononucleosis due to Epstein-Barr virus with suspected reactivation of human herpesvirus 6][Article in Japanese]

Shizuma T.
    Department of Internal Medicine, Kikuna Memorial Hospital.

A 24-year-old woman hospitalized with fever, general fatigue, and upper abdominal pain was found to have liver dysfunction and an increase in atypical lymphocytes in peripheral blood.

Serum immunological studies showed positive Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) VCA IgM antibody and human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) IgM and IgG antibodies, and negative EBV VCA IgG and EBNA antibodies on admission.

Liver function was back within normal limits 8 weeks after onset, EBV VCA IgM and IgG antibodies were positive, EBNA and HHV-6 IgM antibodies were negative, and the HHV-6 IgG antibody titer was 8 times higher than that on admission.

This case was diagnosed as infectious mononucleosis due to EBV with suspected reactivation of HHV-6.

2. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

thanks for this article. when i look at the lab results from the mono i had 15 years ago, it said i was positive for "mononucleosis".....but CMV and HHV6 can cause a mononucleosis-type illness i am wondering if they tested for EBV of if they just looked at lymphocytes? (if this makes any sense) it didn't even show any antibody levels!

4. victoria

victoria New Member

I really wonder too... I had mono for a year back a good 33 or so years ago, from what I understand, testing then couldn't really differentiate between cytomegalovirus or mono.

One of the things I noted in reading was that the CMV's sore throat was not painful, (altho my tonsils were swollen, it didn't hurt at all, just couldn't swallow) ... also had meningitis & hepatitis.

I've never tested positive for 'mono' since, I was repeatedly tested for the next 10 years as I always had problems since then...

last time was in 1991, and have no idea for what else I was tested then... but I have also found very little info regarding the type of meningitis associated with CMV or EBV anyway. I wonder if HHV6 does too?

To top it all off and further complicate things, I'd gone wilderness camping in Ozarks 2 weeks prior to finally getting really ill and ending up in college infirmary, and had had a tick on me for who knows how long - it was in middle of my back, and didn't even see it til my roomate did after I got back!

So many variables...

all the best,

5. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member