Primrose oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allie42, Aug 22, 2005.

1. allie42

allie42 Guest

This would sort of be a question for women in the over 50 set--I think.

Do any of you take primrose oil (capsules) sometimes called Evening Primrose.
  2. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Not necessarily for the over 50 set, as I have a friend who takes 1500 mg a day to combat depression. I am trying it now, and have only been on it a few days. Would like to eventually come off of the synthetic AD's.

Looking forward to hearing others responses.

Misty
  3. allie42

allie42 Guest

I smiled, Nanna, when I read that it's good for withdrawal and hangovers. Who'd a guessed? Anyway it works for me, though I'm not withdrawing that I'm aware, and I stay away from the stuff that gives one hangovers. . . . .

Just thought that was interesting.
  4. redwing074

redwing074 New Member

My doctor just suggested I start taking it along with other things to help with regularity. It's been 4 days now, and so far it hasn't done ****. No pun intended. lol
  5. allie42

allie42 Guest

Primrose would not help me with regularity either, I can tell you! I take it at night because I do seem to sleep better when I do. I have to take "other stuff" for the ++++!

God bless,
    Allie
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It you have PMS, bad cramps, etc. aka- estrogen dominance symtoms, then primrose isn't for you. Primrose and flax are estrogenic, salmon oil isn't. Primrose made my estrogen symtoms worse, a doc recommended them for my period problems, the usual one horse show - estrogen fixes everyting mentality.

I tried flax, it constipated me worse than anything. At one time even a few in a multi grain bread. I'm better w/ it now, but I just found out it is very estrogenic. No wonder it gave me the worst problems when I was out of control estrogen dominant.

Jeanne
  7. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

was the key to her beating CFS. She used to take 17 capsules a day!!!!......and is now down to taking 4 per day.

I tried taking 4 per day but they make me nauseous due, I think, to the fact that I am missing my gallbladder and have a difficult time metabolizing fats.

Now I just take 1 per day and alternate evening primrose oil, fish oil, COQ10 and vitamin E oil...and it seems to be working out OK.