Prior to getting ill were you under severe or longterm stress?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Mar 28, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Maybe stress is the connection we all share? Just thought I would post this to see how many were under severe stress or longterm stress before getting ill. I know I was and I got sick at 18, so maybe that is the connection. I had a rough childhood, family isssus (suicidal mother, etc)Stepmother that didn't want me living w/her...College, kicked out of house, all right before I got sick...Anyone else??
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2006]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Some of it Money but a lot of other things too.As a 2nd grader.I spent the whole year without smiling.

As a high schooler I couldn't stay awake past 10pm.Even as a baby was an extremely light sleeper.I was always that way

.As for childhood and beyond,my younger siblings looked to me for answers as my mother was always working(no child support.That's all I will say because thinking of it makes me anxious.I think it's probably a combination.The susceptability to it and a trigger (for most of us stress.Linda
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

I certainly had stress from my job, but I enjoyed it. For the seven years prior to getting CFS, I'd been on call 24x7, one week on and one week off. This meant that I regularly worked through weekends, overnight and could be woken up at any time of the night to deal with problems.

Although it was a pain in the behind, I didn't really feel it as stress because I enjoyed the job. Family and friends would regularly say "That job's killing you" as I disappeared out of a pub or a dinner to answer the pager, but I didn't see it.

However, all the docs I've seen identified that as the main predisposing factor, leaving me open to CFS once I experienced a trigger event (a 24 hour stomach bug).
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

In his book, Dr Poesnecker says that some peoples adrenals are not very strong to begin with and all the stressers lead to adrenal burnout earlier than others. I think maybe this is what happened to me since I got sick so young...Maybe that is the start and then everything goes crazy from there..

Or maybe the HPA axis gets dysregulated from the chronic stress and then it all snowballs out of control.

It will be interesting to see how many of us were under a lot of stress when they got sick

Take care,
    suz
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I had a lot of stress before the CFS and still do..I thought when I got older things would calm down but they only get worse..

Some of my stress were of course children, My son was in a accident his best friend was killed, my son was charged with involuntary manslaughter and to this day will not drive unless he has to which he had bad injuries and left with a bad leg..But Thank God he is alive..My son-in-law was killed in a car accident and my husband was in a bad accident that left him blind in one eye and the doctors say he is a miracle..All of this happen in 98 in one month..

Then my mother became ill I watched her die for 3 years My grandson was in a bad car wreck which left him with a bad leg..My granddaughter car accident broken back. My daughter became addicted to vicodine sent her to rehab and she is still on methadone. and I could go on and on..

I was trying to take care of everyone and work 2 jobs but just kept going then in 24 hrs it was all taken away and haven't been the same since CFS found me..

Not sure if stress is a factor but I just can't handle it like I once thought I did..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  6. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

As a child and as an adult. In my 50's now and I have often wondered if stress is the cause of my Fibro. I have never been able to relax. Pat
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I cant handle stress at all anymore, used to be when the basement flooded or if there was an accident I would be able to get enough cortisol to make it through and get done what I had to. Now I just shut down and have to crawl into bed when severe stress happens. I think I just cant get a response from my adrenals anymore...I just shut down. I barely have the energy to make it through the daily processes of eating, bathing, brushing teeth...It's unbelievable how week and tired I am these days at 28 years old...
  8. lana33

lana33 New Member

I have to agree with most other posters. I had a very stressful life. There were times of severe stress but all together it was a lot of stress.

One example: When I was going thru school as a child and teenager, I had to listen to my parents argue all times of the night. So I stayed wake. Also very sensitive (me). I remember one of my teachers telling my mom I slept in her class. My mom came to me as if she had no idea why I would sleep in class, DUH! LOL

But I do believe a lot of us were predisposed to being stressed easily even though what we were stressed about, anybody would be.

Hugs,
    Lana
  9. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I've often wondered if stress is a big factor in our having FMS. I have had stress all my life, sometime before I was diagnosed with FMS I had 3 years of constant daily stress. So I certainly believe it plays a part in it.
  10. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Anyone else?
  11. atpeace

atpeace New Member

My childhood and young adult life was great....not stressful at all.

But, then I went thru a period of prolonged stress (1990-late 1994). I first noticed my FMS symptoms in 1994.

I have always felt that the emotional trauma I went thru probably triggered my illness. Who knows for sure, tho.

Lori
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

last year then one month later I came down with cfs.
  13. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, my childhood was very stressful. I had a alcoholic father and a mental ill sister. It was tough. My adult life too has been very stressful. I really think I had Post-tramatic Stress after all that. I had so much anxiety I felt sick.

The last six years have been very stressful. I lost many relatives including my dad to cancer and heart problems. Being so sick is the biggest stresser of all.
  14. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I've read that a combination of a "life altering event" (stress), Energizer Bunny type lifestyle, and a virus or injury are the common factors that set this off. And after reading that report on mycoplasma, I think we can add that to the receipe for what we have. Just reading that article in itself causes stress--and anger.

Foggygirl
  15. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I also had a very stressfull childhood.Things I dont feel comfortable talking about at this time.Still stressfull in so many degrees.
    So sorry you had such a rough time of it.
    Take care of yourself .
    Jordane
  16. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

I have had to struggle all of my life. When I was in 3rd grade, my doctor said I had chronic gastritis that caused stomach pains. He warned that it could turn into an ulcer. He said he only saw this in adults under stress. My family could not understand why a child would be under stress.

At that time I watched my great great grandmother suffer daily. I was always scared about that. Then something traumatic happened to me in 8th grade. I won't say what it was, but I never dealt with it. Add to that constant money problems and a lack of social support and here I am.

CFIDS came on after a stomach virus.
  17. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Took care of my sick parents who were poor for 7 yrs. .......... Don't regret a minute of it.......... but boy it was hard to see my Mom loose her leg to diabetes and my Dad have a heart disease ....... Dad had 5 bypasses ...Then in and out of hospital for 4 yrs about every 3 months with congestive heart failyor............. ............I Worked a full time job in management 50 to 60 hrs a week......

Very stress full.Dad died 3 yrs ago on my sons 22nd birthday,,,,,,,,My son had such a hard time dealing with this........Mom was diagnosed with cancer the same day......Was told there was nothing they could do for her....Doctors said she would only live about 4 months......She went six months .....It was 6 months to the day that my Dad had died....

Right after all that I started to get sick........I was only able to work one more year before it got so bad .....I could no longer handle it......I had 250 associates I had to deal with every day.....I could no longer walk.....I was taken out by rescue and brought to the hospital.......

I was admited.....My doctor told me that what happened in the last 7 yrs had caught up with me.......She was Right I now have FM and CFS among other things....

Stress yes played a big role....

Sue
  18. piebear

piebear New Member

Oh yea big time!!

I had a wonderful childhood. No complaints there. The stress started when I left home to go to college and got worse a year after.

Bet64, your situation sounds a lot like mine. My dad died young just 4+ years ago of a sudden heart attack, and I was left to look after my Mom by myself, on top of having a husband out to sea for 6 months right around the time of 9/11 (hes in the Navy)! And I should mention I was very close to my Dad. His death hit me so hard. I still can't cope well with that. I miss him so much I can't breathe sometimes.
    Since losing my Dad there have been soo many things to deal with. Too many to explain. I was extremely stressed for years. You just push it aside in order to cope.

Finally the big stressors let up in 2004 but the emotional scars continued. All the pent up emotions finally started coming out. I started actually grieving for the first time since all those years of crap happened to me.

Around that time or after I started to get sick a lot. Every few weeks it seemed. And I had more and more aches and pains and was tired. Then boom! One day I had this horrible pain and it just wouldn't go away. And I've had all the fibro stuff ever since.
    I strongly believe all those years of stress finally caught up with me. The mind is a powerful thing afterall. Oh yea its possible there are other factors but I think all that stress played a huge part.
    And you know I still can't handle stress well, the only difference being, now I am forced to learn to cope or have bouts of pain!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2006]
  19. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

No stress in my life here. I had been 'playing hard' on vacation the week that I came down with the 'terrible flu' that started the CFS.
  20. dizzidally

dizzidally New Member

From being less than 6months old was when I believe my stress probably started. A father who worked all day and night (family business). A mother who (according to my grandma)probably had post-natal depression. When a baby my mother would leave us alone at home,myself aged under 6 months and my 2 older brothers aged 4 and 7, all day. This had been going on for quite along time my grandma thought because of the physical state my nappy area was in, red raw and bleeding. My gran said I never cried as a baby, because I had cried so much whilst alone that I had learnt that crying didn't get any attention (certainly done enough crying in adult life to make up for it though). I would be left with a bottle of milk propped up against the cot in my mouth which of course didn't stay there and nevertheless I wasn't fed all day. My grandma (fathers mum) said to me when I was older that she had a feeling that there was something wrong and decided to turn up at the house and found the 3 of us there. My 2 brothers hiding under the table terrified. Not long after my mother left with another man. Didn't see her again until I was sixteen years old, and never again since.
    Brought up by my gran and grandad after mum left. My dad remarried, my stepmother had a daughter from a previous relationship 2 years younger than me, but I never lived with my dad, just visited, where I was bullied by my stepsister. My grandad died when I was seven and my gran was living on borrowed time since I was 2years old, she had a complete heart block and was fitted with a pacemaker. Growing up never knowing when my gran might die, left me feeling uneasy. Always a shy and nervous child, and I still am as an adult. Always the odd one out at school. At college I was admitted to hospital due to stress because of the work load and pressure of the exams.
    Can't stand confrontations, I just shake and start to cry. My gran survived until I was 28yrs old, I am now 36. Since her death it has been a downward spiral eversince. My husband is an ex army man and very hard in nature, so I wasn't allowed to grieve properly, just get on with it. Trouble in my marriage (physically), ok now though. Nearly lost my dad twice in car accidents. A job that has unsocialable hours which was mentally stressful and physically demanding. A new partner a work last year who was also trying to bully me out of my job, untill last August when I became unable to work. Still waiting for a diagnosis of fibro.