Pristiq, new medication for fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jun 20, 2008.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Hi, I haven't posted for quite awhile. Hello again! For the record, I have fibro, was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I manage it pretty well most of the time, but there's always room for improvement. Lately there's been lots of room to improve.

My doctor gave me samples of a new medication today, called Pristiq. It regulates serotonin and norepinephrine, is supposed to help with pain and depression. I'm more concerned about pain lately, but help with both wouldn't hurt.

I was on Cymbalta for about 2 months, stopped it in mid-May, and will NEVER take it again. Ever.

My concern is whether Pristiq has similar side effects as Cymbalta? Has anyone here taken it?

I'd very much like to hear about your experiences, as I am trying to decide if I should try yet another medication. My experience with Cymbalta was so unpleasant, I am a little 'gun-shy' now.

2. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I looked it up and it looks to be an antidepressant in the SSNRI category, like Cymbalta. It has been used for Major Depressive Disorder and early Menopause. I didn't find anything about using it for FM.

I agree with you on Cymbalta as I took it a suffered for it. I was so bad on it that my doctor took one look at me and started ordering tests, B12 shots, and pain shots.

My eyes were even red rimmed and hurt because of it. I would never take it again.

Like you I am gunshy about any new medicine unless I truly feel that it may help the pain. The problem is that they really haven't come up with a suitable medication that works on the central nervous system for pain.

The only things that they have that are close are mood altering drugs like anti-depressants and lyrica/neurontin. None of which have worked for me.

I have heard that Elavil and Pamelor, the old tricylic anti depressants work better on pain than the newer ones. If you haven't tried them, it might be worth at least giving it the 6 week trial.

I have also heard that muscle relaxants are the way to go, but I have not had a doc brave enough to put me on them yet.

Hope this helps you in some small measure.
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would contact your pharmacist and ask him these questions. Pharmacists are a excellent resource to guide you on these meds.
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

According to an article dated August 2007, Wyeth, the manufacturer of Pristiq, was not permitted to market it for FM pain relief, as in trials it performed as well as the placebo. In addition, there are concerns about heart and liver health. However, it is marketed for depression and menopausal symptom relief.

I'll research further, but not tonight! Scary stuff...

5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I still recommend you ask your pharmacist. They can contact the drug company and find out information if they don't know. I have used my pharmacist alot over the years and find they are usually more than willing to help.

Also, they are good at reviewing your current meds and letting you know potential drug interactions.

6. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Hi Bethm,

When I heard that the FDA had approved Cymbalta for FM - I asked my doctor if I should make a switch from my current anti-dep - EffexorXR. He mentioned that Cymbalta and EffexorXR are both SNRI's and deal with serotonin and dopamine in the brain. Once you reach a certain dosage on the EffexorXR, it will help with pain as well as depression.

To make a long story short - he upped my dosage on the Effexor XR to 225mg. This happened less then a week ago, so I haven't noticed any real pain relief as of yet - but hope to in the near future.

As with all the anti-dep's there are the horror stories of side effects and bad reactions. I have had no major issues with EffexorXR except for the usual minimum weight gain. The dr. said I may notice some increased "sweating" with the new dose - but that should subside as my body adjusts.

Good luck.

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2008]
  7. Dixiepeep

Dixiepeep New Member

i am on it too but i have not taken it long enough to tell the difference. i am trying to give it time to work but I am not very patient
  8. Dixiepeep

Dixiepeep New Member

Cymbalta made me sick all of the time
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I want to focus on controlling my pain levels with changes in nutrition, herbs, and other lifestyle changes. I hope this works. I'm just really tired of the side effects of prescription meds. I'm very sensitive to everything, and if there is a side effect, I'll find it. I'm not ready to give up my Darvocet yet, but I'm ready to make some changes and see what I can do to improve things.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

THanks for supplying this information as it might be something that can work for people.

Unfortunately, I can not take the SSNRI's but can tolerate the SSNI's. But I also know people who have had good results with the SSNRI's.

Cymbalta almost made me manic. These kind of meds. do not agree with me.

I know how frustrating it can be to find the right meds. or combination of meds. to get better. We just all react differently to different meds.

But at least, by you giving us this information, you have added another option that may help some.

We need all the information we can get.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  11. BethM

BethM New Member

and thankful for the replies and help in return. It takes a village, and we are that village!
  12. simonedb

simonedb Member

dr cheney says its not safe for true cfids persons to take these meds, that they might help some people in short run but in long run will fry your brain and make things worse.
    He says its safe to experiment with meds that are on sedating side like tricyclics, benzos, some painkillers etc but not snris or ssris or stimulants.
  13. bevcat

bevcat New Member

My daughter was changed to Prestiq from Effexor CR because she became real shaky and "weird" feeling if she missed one dose of the Effexor.

She was on Prestiq for about 2 months and it wasn't helpful at all-- not for her CF or depression. She was extremely tired all the time and ached constantly. Two weeks ago, she had to take a day off from work because she was so tired and in pain. She never felt like that when she was on Effexor.

She went to the doctor on Friday and had her prescription changed back to the Effexor CR. Hopefully, she'll feel better soon.

As for me, I chose to go on Cymbalta instead of Lyrica-- I didn't want to deal with the weight issues associated with Lyrica. At first I was on 60mg of Cybalta once daily and I noticed no change in my condition. My doctor then increased my dosage to 60mg 2x daily and I noticed a significant improvement in my fibromyalgia pain. I still have bad days every now and then, but nothing like before. I've not had any of the side effects with Cymbalta, so I guess I'm lucky.