Private Disability Question Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. HppeandMe

    HppeandMe New Member

    I need some advice. I am so ready to file for disability physically. I am a Realtor and I am going to finish up with one transaction that I have started and try to sell my own house. Do you think that I can begin applying now for the private disability that I purchased or should I wait until I am completely finished working? I won't be able to go to long without money. Furthermore, I hear that you get private disability faster than regular disability. Has anyone found this to be true? How long should I expect? I am so confused! I really want to begin the disability process but I am afraid they are going to say but you are still working even though it is the bare minimum.

    Thanks in advance for the advice!
  2. yuckie

    yuckie New Member

    I'm in the process of trying to get both private and social security disability. I can't help you with your specific situation because each company is different. Take a look at your disability insurance agreement and see if they give you some details about the timelines. My guess is that you will need to prove your disability which will include a doctor saying that you are unable to work anymore. In the meantime, I'll bump this to get it back on the first page. Hopefully, someone will come along with more information. Good luck!
  3. sunshine8957

    sunshine8957 New Member

    first to see what there requirements are. Talk with your treating doctor about your inability to work anymore and get copies of all medical reports, x-rays, mri's etc. to have on hand. You want all of your medical diagnoses listed on the doctors form.

    I know you said you do no have a lot of money to hold you over, but as anyone who has battled it out with SSDI, that can be a 12-18 battle - so you need to be aware of that ugly truth.

    I wish you much luck with your disability claims and hope they move along quicker than for most people!

  4. sarahann61

    sarahann61 New Member

    I don't know where you are from, but you have to be unable to work for 6 mths. , before applying.........Or, at least you will not get any money , until 6 mths after you were unable to work.

    Then it is a lot of paper work. and then wait, then they send you to their Drs. I was sent to a foreign Dr., in a run down office.. He was old, and could barely get around.

    I had said, I was forgetful, so they sent me for a psycho evaluation, and several other Drs. Then they waited awhile, then turned me down.... So, I hired a lawyer, then they sent me the paper work to fill out, again. It was the paper work I had filled out before. It is a good idea to make a copy, of everything you send you send them. I was telling the truth before, but the questions are complicated and don't apply, every day. Some days are better, than others.. Questions on how long are you up each day?, how long do you sit?, can you bend?, can you tend to your own grooming?

    The lawyer told me that they usually turn everyone down the first time, because they are hoping you will get discouraged, and drop it. You will have to prove, you are unable to do the work, that you are now doing..

    I don't mean to discourage you, just wanted you to know, it is a battle. I hope your Dr. will support you, and your family. It was about 18 mths. after I quit, before I got a check, then I got the back pay. But, had to pay the lawyer a big % of it. He had not done anything, but send the paper work in, that I filled out. But, it was prob. because, I got the lawyer, is why they approved me the second time............

    Good Luck, I hope it works out for you............
  5. 1sweetie

    1sweetie New Member

    What company are you dealing with???

[ advertisement ]