Private Profiles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jorgie, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

Profiles can now be made private. Under the About Me Button it says Make Public and if you click on it is turns to Make Private. So if you wish to make your profile private you may now do so. I should also add that this will hide your profile from everyone.
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Now, that doesn't make any sense: why would I put in a profile if no one at all (my friends on this board) can see it?

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If you profile were private then you could use it for whatever purpose you chose but could not share it with others.

Our profiles are in no real way private now. There is only the illusion of privacy. Anyone with a hotmail address can sign up, log on and view everything.

I think the new set-up helps people to remember the reality of the message boards. This is not private. Your friends here are strangers who may be who they purport to be or may not be. I am quite sure that there are "members" who work for insurance companies, researchers, LTD carriers, etc.

This is not private.

We will actually be safer when that is made more clear. Your privacy is an illusion.

Stay safe,
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I definitely agree with that...!

but I also don't understand why my profile is hidden if I choose to share info. Why have one at all? Is it still an option even for new members I wonder? After all, it is up to everyone as to what they put into it - or to leave it blank .... and it's been fun to share pictures etc.

I guess that means we'd have to repeat info we don't mind sharing ad infinitum in posts, rather than just saying 'read my profile' for details?

Hope this is just a 'bug' that's being worked out...
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If you read Jorgie's post he makes it clear that you can choose to make your profile private or public.

I guess I must have confused you. So sorry.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

before I posted, Rafiki, I tried clicking on my own profile as well as others, and none came up.

I didn't see where to make it public, tho I could've easily missed it. I find the new site a bit too 'busy' and will take some time to get used to it. OR maybe there are still some bugs to work out... that'd be the easier answer for me at least.

7. findmind

findmind New Member

I still don't understand what is meant by "you could use it any way you choose" (paraphrased). Why have it at all?

I took my profile out a long time ago when I learned one could google their username and read everything ever written. I am subsequently much more careful about revealing too much.

Thanks for the explanations!