Probiotic question????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jul 17, 2006.

1. I know there has been alot of talk about how good probiotics are good for us. BUT Can they get rid of yeast infections taking them on their own or not, does anyone know?
  2. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I don't think so. You might what to have a look at information on candida and it's treatment if you have not already done so, that should give you the info you are looking for.
    Personally i went on a cleansing retreat and it has done wonders for my digestive system and i took probiotics afterwards.
    Hope this helps
  3. cleansing retreat? Whats that? Eliminate sugars?
  4. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

It was a week of detoxing- lots of vegetable juice, supplements and drinks to clean your intestinal tract- and colonic hydrotherapy (not as unpleasant as it might sound) along with some exercise and saunas. The idea being that it cleans up your digestive sysem as over the years everyone, however healthy, accumulates a lot of debris stuck to the walls of the intestines. This helps you absorb nutrients more efficiently and gain more benefit from them. It can eliminate candida (yeast overgrowth) and i believe can help with other issues too.
    It really helped me, i felt amazing afterwards as a lot of toxins were eliminated from my body during the process. It is not a miracle cure for CFS or anything but i felt it gave me a good basis to build on and incresed the effectiveness the approaches i am taking to help myself, such as supplements, a healthy diet and herbal remedies. It seemed to help my pain alot as well, they felt this might be due to eliminating some toxins and being able to begin correcting some of the mineral and vitamin deficiencies i had. Basically i think it increases the effeciency of your body to deal with things.
    There are also specific diets that you can follow for a time that are supposed to help with yeast infections. I don't know quite what your issues are, but let me know if i can help any more. I hope this has been useful.
  5. I don't think I could do that, I imagine it would be good for a person though to do once in awhile, also to lose weight.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Wish I knew the answer :(

My guess would be No ......
    I don't think probiotics can kill off yeast alone.
    Since its not an antifungal.
    I think probiotics just make MORE friendly or good bacteria in the intestinal tract.

When probiotics are used with an anti yeast med I think the results are way faster and better.
    They kinda enhance each other.

Thats my understanding anyways~
    You can get yeast buster supplements at any vitamin store/online.
    I hope this helps some,...
    untill someone SMARTER comes along :) LOL
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. sascha

sascha Member

no, i don't think probiotics can get rid of yeast on their own. the best approach is to eliminate sugars from your diet, including high-glycemic foods (foods with high sugar content, which includes refined carbos that act on the body like sugar); also fermented foods and yeasts in breads are not good (so no alcohol, mushrooms, -what else is fermented..i can't quite think); take yeast-killing supplements and rotate them as the system can stop responding to the same kind if you don't switch); coconut oil is anti-fungal, and it really has helped improve my candida condition, but make sure to get omega 3 fatty acids (like cod liver oil/ground flax seeds/flax seed oil) with the coc.oil; AND take plenty of pro-biotics to restore friendly bacteria in the gut.

stevia sweetener can be used in place of sugar. i put it in unsweetened cranberry juice, for example, and it makes a great drink when i add sparkling water to it with ice.also works fine with cereal...

sascha