probiotic side effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

i've been trying get myself off nystatin and get on the probiotics bandwagon, but they make me so nauseous. at first, i thought it was the brand - country life - but i bought jarro-dophilus today which is a board favorite (enteric coated!) and it makes me just as nauseous, if not more so! what's up with that? anyone experience this with probiotics? does this side effect go away?? i eat a pretty decent diet, do my best to avoid sugar, dairy and wheat but balancing the gut is proving to be way tricky for me. is it just a matter of getting used to the probiotics?

eddie
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think it IS a matter of getting used to them. I had this problem, too---with me, I wasn't exactly nauseous, but I definitely had a stomach ache after using them, every time like clockwork. What I did was use the type that are capsules (like Jarro) and empty out most of the contents, maybe leaving just a quarter of the powder, and replacing the capsule end. If you are careful, you don't have to waste the rest! You can buy the "empty" capsules they sell at most health food stores, and make 4 capsules out of one original one. Some labor involved, but cutting down the amount like this made it possible for me to get past the stomach aches.

I used 1/4, then 1/2, then worked my way up...didn't take me more than a couple of weeks. I also took them with food at first (different brands have different recommendations on that...some say on an empty stomach, some brands say take with food).

Anyway, I'm now able to use 2-3 a day, and I recently switched to another, strong brand with no problems at all. Once I got used to them, it was fine.

Stick with it, though....I think you'll get past this!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is considered better to take them on an empty stomach but until you get used to them, try them with food.

Love, Mikie
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been taking Jarro on an empty stomach in the morning and have had no bad experience at all.

Sonya
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i definitely believe in the need for and benefits of probiotics and want to make them a permament, ongoing part of my health regime. i will try them again with food, the applesauce idea sounds great! maybe once i get used to the jarro i can even go back and finish the country life brand which i paid $30 for!!

eddie