Probiotics any as good as Primal Defense? cheaper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, May 21, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    well,.... I guess those Primal defense probiotics were helping me more than I thought~
    I took them for over 6 months and saw a slight improvement in my IBS.

3 weeks ago I ran out and I'm having a bad time or flare up with IBS,...gas and cramps!! (way worse then normal)
    The high cost of the PD is hard on me.
    Is anyone familiar with a GOOD probiotic at a lesser cost?
    Thanks for your help~
    Tandy
  2. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Primadolphilus Reuteri by Nature's Way. It helps to rebuild the intestinal lining, so it is good for "leaky gut". It is not expensive if you buy it from Vitacost or Swanson Vitamins.
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I apreciate the suggestions.
    I do think the ones with FOS are suppose to be better.
    (??)
    Jarro does have one with FOS and its reasonable in price,...I may try that one.
    I'm still researching different brands,costs,strains of bacteria needed.
    Wish they had a good probiotic w/ digestive enzymes in one product.
    Thanks again :)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even after two and a half years on ABX, my stomach flora is in good shape because I've been taking probiotics for years. The Jarro is the best one I've tried.

Love, Mikie
  5. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Have you tried the Primal Defense? If you have, then I guess you like the Jarro-dolphilus better.

I like the Primal Defense, but like Tandy, I would love to have something just as good that was cheaper. I've never tried the Jarro- dolphilus, but have heard really good things about it on this board. If it's just as good, I'm changing!

Thanks,

Phoenix
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have heard good things about it but because I'm so happy with the Jarro, I keep taking it.

Love, Mikie
  7. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Sounds like it's worth a try since it's working so good for you. When I finish my bottle of Primal Defense, I'll have to try it.

Love,

Phoenix
  8. renjanson

renjanson New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here. This is my first post. Have had CFS for almost 2 years now.
    My new doctor told me to try Bio-K. Just wondered if anyone has tried it. It's a 3.5 oz. drink.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

But will search more info on that~
    Thanks!!
    as I said,....
    I'm 100% happy with the Primal Defense,..its just so darn expensive!!
  10. cressida

cressida New Member

Bio-K is probably the best out there, but it's mighty expensive. They did a study on it in a hospital where people who are on heavy antibiotics develop c-difficile (a flu-like illness which actually causes quite a number of hospital deaths). The hospital reported that all cases of c-difficile were eliminated with patients using Bio-K.

I always use it after a round of antibiotics and it really helps restore the good intestinal flora. I couldn't afford to take it regularly though, but it's fast and effective when you really need it.
  11. CountryRocker

CountryRocker New Member

There's an inexpensive probiotic by NOW that works well. They rate as one of the top of the line and 100 capsules are less than 6.00. Our local grocery store sells them in the health dept. and you need to keep them in the fridge.
  12. renjanson

renjanson New Member

Thanks for responding. I am new to taking probiotics and I am not familiar with any besides Primal Defense.
    After I take this round of Bio-K, maybe I will try a cheaper one for awhile and see how it goes.
    The health grocery store we have in our area is expensive anyway. I have compared their prices with some other things I was buying and they are high.
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

I looked up and read on the NOW ones.
    They do seem very good~ or at least has everything in them that I'm looking for.

Thanks for mentioning them to me.
    They are very reasonable in price too :)
    Take care all