PROBIOTICS help athletes produce interferon against EBV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, May 21, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I got the following research from one of the Lyme yahoo lists I'm on... (interesting that this was picked up from a newspaper in Vietnam since the research was done in Australia and published in Britain.)
    --------------------

Thanh Nien Daily News. Vietnam
    May 18, 2006

Probiotic restores immune response in athletes

Decreased production of the natural virus-fighter, interferon, in fatigued athletes can be restored to normal levels with a "probiotic" pill containing microbe Lactobacillus acidophilus, a new study indicates.

The drop in interferon levels may play a role in the defective immune response against Epstein Barr virus (EBV), previously described in fatigued athletes, lead author Dr R. L. Clancy, from the University of Newcastle in Australia, and colleagues note.

Most people have been infected with EBV; it can cause a number of diseases, including mononucleosis, and it has been implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome. However, the virus is usually kept in check by interferon.

As reported in the British Journal of Sports Medicine for April, the researchers tested for EBV in 24 saliva samples taken from eight fatigued athletes before and after receiving a 1-month course of the probiotic capsules. In addition, interferon levels were measured in blood samples.

Prior to treatment, five of the subjects had EBV in their saliva - that is, they were shedding the virus because it was not being reigned in; after probiotic treatment, just one showed signs of virus shedding.

As noted, interferon-gamma secretion was decreased initially, but returned to normal levels after treatment.

"This study shows for the first time reduced interferon-gamma secretion in fatigued athletes, a defect that was reversed after treatment with the beneficial microbe L. acidophilus," the researchers state.

"The relation of these findings to other groups with chronic fatigue illnesses requires further study to clarify mechanisms and define therapeutic guidelines," they add.

[This Message was Edited on 05/21/2006]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Very interesting article, thanks for posting this.

I really appreciate all of your research.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Makes you really think about the gut being so critical to immune function!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've always said that good health begins in the gut and recommended probiotics, but this is evidence that the probiotics really do work. Thank you so much for posting this.

BTW, my daughter in Atlanta was bitten by something and got very sick. It produced a rash but the doc said the rash isn't Lyme. It has spread in her body. She is on Prednisone because her immune system has gone into overdrive, producing swelling. With our family history of these illnesses, the doc felt he had to use steroids to avoid triggering an autoimmune illness. She was very sick but is feeling better. The doc is running several tests for Lyme but he said he is sure it isn't Lyme. They need to treat the yard because I think the dog is bringing things in on his coat. This makes me worry for the baby.

Thanks again so much for posting this.

Love, Mikie
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

so I hope they can help . The interferon mentioned in the valcyte article ( jarjar) is beta seron , a drug used with MS . The people I know who took it felt really sick all of the time .
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

that is weird and scary how your daughter became ill! I hope they are running tests on the other tick-borne diseases to see if she has any of those!

AND for other possibilities of vector-borne diseases, one just never knows! I hope she gets better quickly!

My DH stopped for the night in Texas once, got up in the middle of the night and said he remembers feeling a light 'scratch' on his foot as he walked to the bathroom...

2 days later at home, his foot started to swell and he became ill. He ended up having to go to the hospital to do IV abx for about 4 days as the swelling started to go up his leg! Nobody ever did figure out what it was due to tho.

Re green food -- I have known people to get diarrhea from taking the chlorella-containing ones... not sure if what y'all are talking about has this?

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They drew a lot of blood from her to test for things. There are a lot of insects in GA and people seem to react differently to insect bites. Everyone thinks we have so many bugs here in FL, but they do spray around our buildings and I never have anything worse than the ants which march up the palm trees and onto the roof (they plant the trees too close to the bldgs).

Did I tell you that I looked in Carrollton last time I was up to Atlanta? It's another very nice little Southern town. It's smaller than Athens and not nearly as much to do but housing is really cheap. It has a charming little downtown area. I love both Rome and Athens but at this point, I think housing costs are going to be my main consideration. Right now, the condo market here is in the dumps so I'll likely have to wait until next fall and pray for an easy hurricane season.

Take care and thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

seems like all of us are always between a rock and a hard place... one either has bugs or has to tolerate bug spraying... SIGH! Yep, there are some interesting bugs here, and probably all over the SE. And the hitch-hiking ones are the worst!

In my opinion, Athens is quickly being overbuilt with new homes, condos, and apts; so many older homes for sale seem to be languishing... So you may want to take another look whenever you're ready and see what the situation is at that point.

I have seen some really good deals, and also a friend is trying to buy 3 homes from a contractor who stopped for some reason... have been seeing other places where construction has stopped as well.

In the meantime, I will hope & pray that the forecasts for another active hurrican season don't come true!

Take care,
    Victoria
  9. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks for posting this!!

Very empowering :)

scapper

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I haven't given up on Athens. I believe it has a really bright future and it would be the best place for appreciation on a home, despite the current slump. I've pretty much resigned myself to sitting out the summer here. Thanks for the prayers for a light hurricane season. We've really been hit hard here for a couple of years and could use a break. The brush fires have already used up the Red Cross' budget for emergencies, leaving nothing for the coming hurricane season.

Love, Mikie
  11. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

check out Watkinsville , and if you have not toured
    Madison , GA , get there ASAP ! The housing is pricey ,
    but you have to see it ! I have NEVER seen anything prettier.

You might also check out Jackson or Monticello, Ga , which are gorgeous ! The real estate is reasonable there .

If you end up in Athens area, I had a fantasic integrated medicine doc ( Dr Kirk Melville ) in Watkinsville .
    I love Watkinsville .

I am back in Texas , but really miss GA . However, I do not miss Peachtree City or Newnan - the growth was spiraling and traffic was a NIGHTMARE! also , housing costs were ridiculous .
  12. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

13. victoria

victoria New Member

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dancing, these are towns in GA. Geez, talk about your small world. I had not idea TX had the same named towns.

Ann, thanks for the hints. Right now, trying to sell a condo in hurricane season, with the real estate bubble burst, and insurance rates going out of sight, I may just be stuck here for a while. As long as my home isn't ravaged by a storm, it's not a bad place to be. Still, I love GA and would like to be closer to my kids.

Love, Mikie