Probiotics = herx ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanel06, Jun 13, 2006.

1. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

A week ago Tuesday I had a horrid stomach pain attack. Charley-horse like cramping in my stomach (upper) and back lasted for 30 hours straight.

Here I am, a week later. Food is rather limited to whey protein, canned peaches, and soda crackers. I try some soup occasionally, but it doesn't stay in me for long. Part of the limit to the food is self-induced because I'm terrified to eat something that will disagree with me LOL

My right side under my ribs is still twinging occasionally. With some small stomach twinges. Back twinges, which may be related to the stomach or could be general aches and pains, it's honestly hard for me to tell.

So, I started probiotics finally on Saturday. I've been having some digestive issues for awhile and was already planning on starting them. I'm taking both probiotics and digestive enzymes. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning I felt fairly good. Yesterday afternoon I was feeling lethargic, and was having some breathing issues (too tired to breathe feeling), but felt better after some sleep last night.

Today I feel very lethargic. Stomach twinges are worse - right side only. Dizziness (my classic CFS symptom) is here. And I could go to sleep.

For my stomach problems, I'm beginning to suspect gallbladder. A small part of me wondering about pancreas involvement (reasons for this are somewhat... unusual, but I can explain if anyone really wants the weird details). And I have a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon to get her to check it out.

I'm wondering in the meantime if the probiotics could be causing a herx reaction ? Or if my general lethargic feeling and head towards a crash is separate from that. Perhaps related to the stomach issue.

Long, rambling, I know Sorry about that ! :D

Shannon L.
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Hope you get some answers. I'm going to start the Probiotics tomorrow. I've had stomach issues for awhile but its gotten worse the last month or so. I'm hoping the probiotics will help. Sorry you are having a hard time with them.

Maybe including the weird details may help someone give you advice. Sometimes its those weird details that help someone identify the potential problems.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.

Sincerely
    JL
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Shannon, I'm so glad you're going to get your symptoms checked out. I worry when we assume every ache or pain is CFS/FM.

There's another thread going on I think, about probiotics and I'm just as confused as ever. The point was made that they'll cause a herx only if you have Candida. Timing was also discussed. Before meals seems to be the popular opinion but I've had bottles of probiotics that say "with food" and others that say "1 hour after eating" so I have no clue.

So now I've added my confusion to yours. How nice is that?

Marta