PROBIOTICS If You Have Tried Them Did They Work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, Oct 13, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I've been considering trying probiotics. For those of you who have tried them what has been your experience, good or bad, and what symptoms have they helped if any.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2006]
  2. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

Everyone should take these because they are good for your health. They keep the good flora in your intestines. Just think of your intestines as the brain of your body. Just about all bad things happen to you start in your intestines. I take them everyday. Go to the health food stores and get good ones. Primal Defense is good. The best ones always need to be refrigerated...Good Luck Barb
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I use them when I am on antibiotics but when I try them other times I get terrible cramps and the runs.

I can only take one and it does this no matter brand.

Some people swear by them though and have no issues.

Love Anne
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Shooting star:

I have been taking probiotiocs for several years now, The difference for me has been very tremendous. I used to have terrible IBS, I tried prescription meds which only helped in the short term.

I think my digestive track is much healtier now than in past years.

No problems here as far as side effects that I can recall, I take them twice a day.

Make sure you buy a good product, so you get enough good bacteria in your system.

Suz45

[This Message was Edited on 10/13/2006]
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I use the primal defense.
    If I could find a good enough quality probiotic that was cheaper,..I'd switch only because the primal is expensive.
    (my opinion)

Taking probiotics has helped my IBS alot,
    and helps me with my Endometriosis pain a little.
    Less cramping and gas,and alot more regular.

After much research I'd highly recommmend that everyone take them.
    Hope this helps~
    Tandy
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Theoretically they're good. It's hard to really tell, for me. I have a recurrent yeast problem, and so I do take them. whether I'd be worse off if I never did is hard to say from personal experience, though.

My (extremely good) doctor is recommending 10 billion organisms per day. This is the equivalent of 10 regular capsules from most brands.

Pure Encapsulations has a new product with five different strains of probiotics. I don't know if this is similar to the probiotic that's poplar on this list (can't remember the name). It's nnot too expensive and has 10 billion in one capsule. Only health care practitioners are supposed to stock this brand, however.

7. dahopper

dahopper New Member

.....I just found out I have Lyme and my doctor put me on Doxy (200mg x 2) So should I take Probiotics? My doctor gave my husband some Super Probiotics made by UltraCeuticals but did not give it to me. Can I take it and it not hurt the effect of my antibiotis ? Thank You for any help or advice. Debbie
  8. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I'd had a few good days, and here I am again not so good again.

I have times when I feel sickish, feverish feeling but am not running a temperature, and feel like something is totally out of balance, headaches etc. I've wondered if it might be food sensitivity, but have tried eliminating various things with no consistent results, so wondered if probiotics might help. This has been going on for years off and on and I'm not sure what causes it. Might be worth trying probiotics, and I hope they help.
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

When you're on antibiotics is when it's most crucial to be taking probiotics. (I've never heard anything to the contrary.) Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria, and so you want to put the good ones back in. That won't keep the bad ones from being killed.
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

When I took probiotics, I developed little pus pimples on my skin, including zits on my face and a sty on my eyelid. I was told that this indicated an under-active liver, so I am now doing a liver cleanse. When that is done, I will try the probiotic again.
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I started taking Probiotics a few months ago and now I probably will never stop.

They've changed my life drastically. I've had a severe case of IBS-D for over 18 years. All the meds the doctors gave me eventually quit working or didn't work at all.

About 8 years ago or so a doc put me on Immodium to take in the morning before my first meal. First it was 2, then 3, then I moved up to 4 a day when I started taking the magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement that I learned about here.

For me it was worth it and although I was the best I'd been in the IBS-D regard, it still wasn't enough.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I started Probiotics....at first it changed my bowel habits. Twice a day, every day.

Yet once things evened out, I now only go once a day and completely like a "normal" person. Dr. Mehmet Oz would be so proud of me!

This changes everything for me....when you start your day with IBS-D, it takes everything out of you...no pun intended. It makes you exhausted, drained and just plain worn out.

No more....and it's a huge relief.

Hugs,

Nancy B

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Help prevent Leaky Gut Syndrom, a serious condition which can make a person really sick. At about age 35, our bodies produce less and less of the "good" bacteria which help us digest our food. We need to supplement this bacteria with a good probiotic. I take Jarro-Dophilus sold here. It is a very good probiotic.

Immunity begins in the gut and keeping it healthy is the first line of defense against infections.

Love, Mikie
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....for months during chemo for Leukemia. With a disease like this, you can't have ANY bacteria introduced into your body for fear of causing infection when your white counts are so low (the chemo kills the cancer, but takes everything else out with it). So I couldn't have any fresh fruits or veggies (could harbor bacteria) and yogurt with live cultures, probiotics were strictly forbidden.

As you can imagine, after months of chemo & strong antibiotics to guard against infection, my gut was a mess!! Never had had IBS before, but I sure had it now.

As soon as I got the green light, I started probiotics again. I use I-Flora, by Sedona Labs, but there are many good types out there. Within three weeks, I was MUCH improved.

So I'm a real believer in the power of probiotics!

Hugs,
    Pam
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Except for times when I've taken an antibiotic, I've found that for me nothing works quite as well as being aware of my diet, eating slowly and not chewing gum. I think it depends on what type of help you're looking for.

Marta
  15. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I had asked this question once before but still did not sink in. My husband has some so I will start taking his.
    Hugs....Debbie
  16. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Mikie - I looked up leaky gut syndrome and suspect that may be my problem here - who knows - with all the varied symptoms that pop up it is not always easy to come up with a specific cause. I just ordered some Jarro-dophilus and am hoping that might help.

I am careful about what I eat, and know that makes a difference, but something is still off here.

It is interesting that various treatments seem to help some tremendously and not be tolerated by others at all. I really appreciate everyone's input. This board is so supportive. Thank you.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2006]
  17. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Yes, probiotics help me with everthing in the gut to bm movements staying regular. If you get your gut right better health will follow. I know I would be much sicker without probiotics.
    Dee50
  18. cats3

cats3 New Member

I take probiotics for my IBS and they help. My doctor recommends probiotics.

I get mine from Jigsaw Health (online) called Essential Blend Probiotics.

19. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Probiotics make me feel worse. So, I eat plain Stonyfield yogurt and stay away from sweets and chocolate. Flaxseed for breakfast occasionally is enjoyable. I don't seem to have a problem with my gut, so this works for me.
  20. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

It is important not to take your probiotics at the same time as the antibiotics. My probiotic bottle says "Do not take within 2 hours of taking antibiotics". Otherwise, they'll be "fighting" the effects of each other. But, yes you should definitely take the probiotics to replace the good bacteria that the antibiotic kills.

Lolalee