Probiotics question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ALEESLP, Jul 7, 2008.

ALEESLP New Member

Some have recommended probiotics to help with my significant gastro problems from the Valcyte. Does anyone have any specific probiotics they would recommend? I have seen acidophyllis in the refrigerated sections of my local health food store and I have seen unrefrigerated digestive enzymes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Lindaanne

Lindaanne New Member

Garden of life primal defense is an excellent product. Go to go to products on top of page to supplements. It's under digestion. Excellent product. My mother had a horrible case of c diff bacteria and that worked like a charm. has it or you could do a google search. Also taking metamucil daily is a good thing.
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I use what ever is on sale and it works fine. Have you been eating yogurt as well ???

Purtian Pride's is a vitamin company I use as well great prices-you can google them

many blessings

4. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

I would also recommend Primal Defense. Been taking them for years & have had almost no gastro problems while on them.
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I just wanted to add that probiotics have worked for me in a big way - helped with indigestion, I lost 25 lbs. over six or eight months of taking them, and I don't feel so terribly hungry in between meals, and can wait to eat the full five hours before I start feeling shaky and hungry again.

I've tried several different brands, but the ones that work the best for me have a higher count of the good bacteria per dose, and are refrigerated.

Hope you have as good a result as I have had!

God bless,

6. erica741

erica741 New Member

I've tried a few probiotics and Primal Defense is the only one I couldn't tolerate. I took it for a few weeks and ended up stopping due to major gas and bloating. I later saw a naturopath who said it is not a good product...something about it being soil based.

I'm currently taking Ultra Flora Plus DF (dairy-free) by Metagenics. You have to buy them through a doctor's office though.

Theralac and IFlora have also been recommended to me by doctors and the naturopath, but have not tried them because I think you have to buy them online?

I'd recommend trying some of the refrigerated ones in your local store. Bio-K Plus is good if you can take dairy.

General consensus from doctors, etc is the refrigerated probiotics are best.

[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2008]
  7. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Theralac or VSL#3
  8. star273

star273 New Member

I have a tried a few different kinds. I think the best kind to use is one that has to be refrigerated. I cant eat yogurt because of being lactose intolerant. I dont know what I would do without my probiotics. I use it everyday. It has been a lifesaver. Helps with IBS as well. Good luck!
  9. lca

lca New Member

I use iFlora that I order online. I don't have any problem with ordering and it gets delivered in about 2 days. I also use Rexall brand Digestive Enzymes with every meal. They just changed the formula and added probiotics to it. Great! The more the merrier. Eat the yogurt with probiotics too. All this in combination seems to help most.

Even with all this there are days when my stomach won't cooperate, so I watch what I eat and take more than one iFlora a day. Still nothing's perfect.
  10. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

Ideally, there should be several strains of lactobacillus and (oops, can't remember the other one) bacteria in the probiotic you take. When thrush flares up in my throat, I take a few capsules several times a day.

A nutritionist looked at all my bloodwork, and told me I wasn't digesting protein adequately. He told me to take betaine with meals, especially with meat. This cleared up my acid reflux & hearburn. It always returns when I stop the betaine for awhile. I also take digestive enzymes with every meal that doesn't contain any raw food.

A recent article here on said that a healthy small intestine contains 5 POUNDS of lactobacilli!

I've also read a few references lately that indicate it's important to eat "prebiotics" which are foods that encourage growth of the probiotics. I'm just not clear which foods those are, other than almonds - either ground or well-chewed.
  11. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

Great can find it in capsule form.
  12. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

I like this one although it does contain dairy and whey. Also, has a cheap pretty effective one 15 strains 35 billion per 2 capsule for 120 pills it's $28. Works well for me.
  13. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I ordered a box of packets from Eden Foods - mostly bifido strains and it was sublingual - worked great.

My next favorite is Continental Acidophilus (it is a liquid bottle in refrigerated section at health food store or maybe Whole foods.

Next best is Jarrow refrigerated capsules.

Some people take an antacid a few minutes before taking their probiotic in order to neutralize acid so more gets past stomach.

Some formulas are enteric coated to get past this problem.

Some people add probiotics to their enemas.