Probiotics Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Oct 2, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Good morning all, I've read so many good comments about probiotics that I decided to give them a try.

I purchased a product called SupremaDophilus, which says it contains 4 billion viable cells per capsule. So, my first question is, does that sounds like a good product?

Second, the bottle says to take one capsule daily, with a meal. With our illnesses (I have CFS), do we stay at one capsule or slowly build up to more?

Third, how long should it be before I notice some type of improvement? A week? A month?

Many thanks,
    Twerp
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not familiar with this brand. The best brands usually have several strains of good bacteria and are guaranteed not to break down in the stomach but to be able to colonize in the intestines.

Mine say to take on an empty stomach but I haven't noticed a difference with food.

As to whether you will feel a difference, it all depends on the condition of your digestive system now. A person in pretty good shape may not notice a difference, but probiotics are still a really good idea. They can help prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome. It may take a person with LGS quite a while before the gut becomes healthy again.

Keeping a journal might help you to know if the probiotics are helping. Sometimes, healing is so slow that we have to look back a while to realize how much something has helped.

I take the Jarro-Dophilus and the directions are to take one to three capsules per day. I only take one but I've been taking probiotics for years. I would say to start out slowly and see how you tolerate the probiotics. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Twerp:

I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned in your post, however it sounds very similiar to the ones I have taken over the years... I take 2 a day as my brand which I get at Viatmin world indicates 1-2x per day.

I can't remember how long it took to start helping Im going to guess a couple of weeks as you are changing the bacteria in your gut to "good " bacteria, so don't give up if its not working right away.

I can tell you one thing at least for me amd hopefully other board members will agree that it really does aid in digestion and decrease any IBS, as yor gut now has a healthy colony of bacteria as opposed to bad bacteria.

If I stop taking it I notice the difference in as little as a week. To the best of my knowledge there are no side effects. Remember much of the food we eat is processed so we don;t get the natural benefits of eating liking past generations..

Good luck,

In wellness,

Suz45
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

recommend much higher doses than is marked on teh bottle. I notice in his book, Teitelbaum says to take probiotics up to 6 times a day..

(pls check this .. i am speaking from memory).

Also, Lisa Petrison said in a recent post that her doc Dale Guyer in IN said CFS patients needed mega doses.

Pls check her post.. she gave a precise figure.

I've been taking probiotics for 4/5 months now.. changing brands occasionally.. In that time I have improved... but I'm taking a lot of stuff, so difficult to know if they are helping or not.

Delia
  5. twerp

twerp New Member

I really do appreciate your inputs. The stuff I'm taking is put out by Arizona Health Foods (I'm in Phoenix). It says the capsules are "enteric-coated" to protect against stomach acid.

It contains:

lactobacilli acidophilus (1 billions viable cells)
    lactobacilli rhamnosus (.5 billion..)
    lactobacilli bulgaricus (.25 billion..)
    bifidobcterirum longum (1 billion..)
    bifidobacterium bifidum (.5 billion..)
    enterococcus faecium (.5 billion)
    streptococcus themophilus (.25 billion...)

That last one sounds a little scary....

Thanks again, and hugs,
    Twerp
  6. twerp

twerp New Member

I appreciate your input very much. Please let me know what you find out at the Dr.

Looks like I may need to slowly build up my dosage.

Hugs,
    Twerp