Probiotics two part question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I was on an A/b for 7 days, went off of it, and started taking Probiotics

Yesterday (silly me) decided to read the directions and see that is says "refrigerate after opening" YIKES!
    Now I am worrying that since I didn't do so, there are all these "moldy" bacteria floating around in me LOL Do you really have to refrigerate probiotics??

Anyway, I still have this rotten UTI and doc ordered another round of A/B which I DO NOT want to take!!!!!

Anyone get rid of an A/B without a/b???
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can buy probiotics which do not refrigeration but if the directions state to refrigerate, you should do it. That is the optimal environment for them. I agree that if they haven't been exposed to light and heat, they are probably OK.

love, Mikie
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...a well-respected MD, told me that even the refrigeratorable (is that a word??) type can be out of the refrigerator for a couple of months without harm. I asked this because I was going on vacation and wanting to take them with me but knew I wouldn't always have a fridge handy.

I have since used a stable type, I-Flora by Sedona Labs, that I like and doesn't require refrigeration. But yours should be fine.

4. Dianneweiland

Dianneweiland New Member

Hi, Empower...
    I take Swanson's "Soil-Based Organisms" with 72 Trace Minerals, which have more probiotics than any others I've ever tried, don't require refridgeration, and ever since I've been taking them, I haven't had a bout with diarrhea, constipation, or any kind of digestive "distress" at all, which is wonderful! I gave some to my sister when she was visiting me from Oregon, and they also worked wonderfully for her. She doesn't have Fibro, as I do, and I also have CFS. They come in capsule form, and I also have my husband take them, who can digest Anything, but his diet is terrible. He is the picture of health, of course, while I, who eat really well, have the pain and sleep problems of Fibro, plus an inability to exercise without "Payback". I also take Cranberry capsules, since I used to get UTI's all the time, but haven't had one since I started taking these. I hope this is helpful. This is my first "post" here, although I've been getting the ProHealth newsletter for years, since I got Fibro/CFS back in 1995 and had to quit working and go on SSDI. That's another story, though.
    take care, Dianne
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks all

I called the mfr and they said that if you take them every day, no problem without refrigeration, but if you only use them now and then, and have them for several months, they should be refrigerated

I just don't know if I can do without taking the Cipro

I am having less and less UTI symptoms now