Probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dmariesmith, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dmariesmith

dmariesmith New Member

I started out dealing with still constipation. I went from negative 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat!!! One day I woke up and IBS was my every day. I don't have it bad as some, I'll get a few sharp gut cramps and I NEED to go. And it (sorry for graphics), is water. Afterward, I'm fine. Nothing in particular seems to be a trigger except eating! Has anyone out there tried Probiotics and had any success? I'm asking before I try it and possibly flirt with disaster!
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have not tried probiotics, but my FM Dr said Irritable Bowel Syndrome is always caused by foods/ingredients. If possible, it is very helpful to have delayed food allergy testing(ELISA). I am doing the elimination diet and now that I'm challenging foods back in my diet it will pinpoint exactly what food caused what symptom. If you cannot do this I urge you to keep a detailed food diary. It isn't always a food, but an additive or ingredient. With a good diary you should be able to link it to these episodes. Then remove the suspected food/ingredient from your diet and see if you improve. It can, of course, be many foods that you are sensitive to, so look for different foods in your diary that seem to be related to bathroom trips. Common ones are milk(casein, whey, lactose, etc hidden in many packaged foods), wheat, eggs, soy, sugar, corn, etc. Good luck!
  3. dmariesmith

dmariesmith New Member

I have not tried them yet, but I have been reading about them - and actually have been using them with my show dogs and believe they have helped them with stress and nervous bellies...I was wondering if anyone else had tried and had luck with using them.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Probiotics are a must have if you have any kind of condition that affects the GI tract in any way. the question is which one, there are so many. You can start w/ eating a tbsp of plain (at least 2% mf) yogurt 1-3 times daily. You can also use vinegar, lemon juice or aloe vera as probiotic too.

I can't stress enough how effective protein digesting enzymes can be for IBS relief though. They help both ways, w/ constipation and diarrhea. The relief is quickest for the diarrhea part. I buy mine here at Prohealth. I've tried many brands, but the ProEnzyme P I get here are just the right strength and the best price too. You contribute to FM/CFS research w/ every purchase you make too.

Jeanne
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I had cancer last year and went through months of chemotherapy, plus some of the strongest IV antibiotics out there; naturally, my stomach was pretty messed up afterward. I started Probiotics (which I had taken before but was banned from using during my cancer treatment) and within two weeks, my stomach was fine. I had been experiencing both bouts of diarrhea and constipation, a lot like IBS. My stomach had taken a real beating, but Probiotics got it back on track right away.

I use I-Flora by Sedona Labs, you can order it on the net from several sources. My naturopath highly recommends this particular brand, and I've been very happy with it.

Good luck, I hope you feel better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. pat460

pat460 New Member

IBS is my every day as well so I can definitely relate. Probiotics has helped me a great deal. I would recommend them to anyone with IBS. Eating Activia yogurt is how I started out because I didn't want to spend money on probiotics unless I really thought it would help me. I noticed a difference after a few days of eating the yogurt so I started taking probiotic Pearls. I can eat spaghetti now without even getting heartburn, when I was to the point of eliminating tomatoes from my diet because of bouts of diarrhea. The gas and bloating are much better too.

I'm also going to start taking digestive enzymes as well. While my IBS is much improved, I still have occasional alternating episodes of constipation and diarrhea. I'm hoping the enzymes and probiotics together will get rid of the IBS completely. As the other post said, a food diary may help a great deal until you get the IBS under control. Also, I'm sure you already know to stay hydrated.

I did want to mention though, that the 2nd bowel resection I had was due to a partial blockage. Diarrhea, which was like water, was the main symptom. It caught my attention when you talked about that in your post. So I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, to have some tests and make absolutely sure it is IBS. Symptoms of IBS can also be symptoms of many other bowel conditions. I lay in a teaching hospital 4 weeks before they diagnosed my first bowel blockage. The doctors used every kind of enema they had ever heard of and told me every morning "Honey, we think you're just constipated". They tried to send me home but, I refused to leave! There was crap, smelled and tasted just like it, coming up so I had a tube down my throat and into my stomach pumping it out.

Sorry, you probably didn't want that much info. Anyway, I say if you're sure it's IBS, then try the probiotics. It can't hurt and will most likely help.

Good Luck, Pat
  7. dmariesmith

dmariesmith New Member

Thank you Pat, Pam, and Jeanne! I sooo appreciate your input. My Dr said to try fiber drinks too...but he also said that could make it worse, because I would have to play with the dosage...Sorry, just wasn't thrilled with making THIS worse! I am going to get some digestive enzymes and probiotics! I'm so glad I found you guys!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And read our old posts. Probiotics should, in my opinion, be a daily part of our regimen. Good health begins in the gut.

Love, Mikie
  9. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

You might want to Google "paradoxical diarrea" (sorry for the spelling). Especially if you are taking any medications like painkillers, antidepressants, blood pressure meds. I thought I had diarrea for months until I learned about this and was very glad I did. It turned out I was constipated and this watery stuff is part of that.

Good luck. I think the probiotics are a great way to go along with magnesium, fruits and vegetables and those fiber drinks but first, like Pat said, make sure you don't have another problem.

Good luck.