Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Do you take these on a regular basis or only when taking antibiotics?? do you notice any difference?
  2. luigi21

luigi21 Member

regular basis, yes i saw a difference, i suffered constipation, so my probiotics came with physillium husk, which turns into a jelly like substance, helped my colon.
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Yes: probiotics have been a great help to me.

I have [had] lots of trouble with acid reflux, awful pains that radiated to my back and enire chest. Anyway, I stared with acidophilus, three per day.
    It took about three weeks to notice a difference and now I rarely have that kind of severe pain, also the constipation is quite a bit better.

So, give them a try, I don't think it can hurt.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In our 30's, our bodies have fewer and fewer good bacteria to balance out the bad bacteria which can lead to gut disorders such as Leaky Gut Syndrome, a serious condition. As we age, it is more and more important to supplement with probiotics. PBS has an excellent program on this. Our immunity begins in the gut. I found out I wasn't taking nearly enough of the probiotics and nearly enough different strains.

Now that I have Sjogren's, I don't get enough digestive enzymes to process my food and I have gut issues from that. The probiotics help with this too.

Just eating yogurt isn't enough. A really good probiotic every day does make a difference. I buy mine here.

Love, Mikie
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Just so you know, there is a subset of people with ME/CFS who cannot tolerate probiotics. I was really surprised when I tried them that I got considerably worse. I tried several different ones and I gave them plenty of time in case my reaction was just due to die off......I never had stomach issues until the probiotics and since them my stomach has been horrible and just continued to go downhill.

I found several discussions on the phoenix rising site that I wish I had seen before trying them, because I now know that there are a lot of PWME who also cannot tolerate them.

Not saying that to tell you not to try them, but just to let you know to be careful and aware of the possible issues.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was taking them on a consistent basis and I did see some improvement for my IBS.

I am seeing my Gastroenterologist's Nurse Practitioner next week. He recommends the ones that are stored in the refrigerator and can be written as a prescription as some health insurance will cover them.

You can't get them over the counter but you don't necessarily need a script, but that is the cheaper way to go.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That there are people who cannot tolerate probiotics. I'm lucky in that they really help me. That said, however, I tried one brand of yogurt which really upset my stomach.

There are good OTC probiotics. You get what you pay for. Cheap ones usually only have a couple of strains. Good ones have lots of different strains and FOS to ensure they populate in the gut and are not destroyed in the stomach. I actually take two different brands and I keep them in the fridge.

Love, Mikie
  8. thanks! I buy them and forget to take them but am going to try taking them on a reg. basis as they do seem to help . And I do buy the good ones at the health food store , the refrigerated ones.