Probiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spoonerpaws, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Are Probiotics safe to take?

What exactly are they?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are absolutely necessary to our health. At about age 35, the body stops producing adequate good bacteria in the gut. This can lead to Leaky Gut Syndrome which causes food allergies and lots of other problems.

The Jarro-Dophilus sold here is the best I have found. They need to be refrigerated after opening. I have been on antibiotics for more than a year with no ill effects to my gut. I've been taking probiotics for years.

Love, Mikie
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

If you have IBS, leaky gut, or in fact any gut problems then look into using probiotics.

I started back on them, again, but had to go carefully. Found the bifidus strains gentler, apparently one study done on IBS showed this to be the most popular. Now Im on a bit of a cocktail which is right for me.

It's taken years for me to get my son to use them, he did eventually agree to take them. He's no longer ill but he has been left with awful gut problems. He used a very strong supplement, had diarrhea for a few days but now that has settled down.

If you've had lots of antibiotics then it's very likely that probiotics will help.

Cheers Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2003]
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

.....If you've never taken probiotics, give your body time to adjust to them. I have leaky gut syndrome, and started taking probiotics (along with a specific diet) to help heal my intestines. At first, they made me sick to my stomach. But I kept with it-----I took them WITH food initially, then WITHOUT food (which is the ideal way) eventually. After about two weeks, my body was used to them & now I tolerate them fine. Everyone doesn't encounter this, but I know some people here have-----but stick with it, as Mikie said, they are essential for good bowel function & to keep your immune system healthy.

Good luck,
    Pam