Problem: LabCorp bills :(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i have about $3000 in unpaid LabCorp bills i cannot pay. i am in canada and pay out of pocket for american healthcare.

i know that labcorp reduces bills by 20% if you use your VISA and pay everything upfront, but do you guys know if there is a way to make it even less?

what will they do if i dont pay it?

thank you
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Does your insurance not pay any lab work? Talk to who bills for lab ask if there is a program that can help.

3,000.00 is alot for lab work. Were these tests oked by you? If you dont pay they could send you to collections. Review your bill make sure you are being crrectly charged.

Does Canada have a medicaid program? Are you still working?

sorry I know thats lots of questions. hope they help.

good luck
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Sue,

Aw, that is too bad you have such a huge bill. It sounds like a real burden. Many US insurance companies seem to knock a lot off the LabCorp rates, according to their "allowable" charges for the various tests. But I guess you are caught because you live in Canada.

It's always best to talk to your creditors. If you explain your situation to them, and agree to pay as much as you reasonably can each month, they will probably work out a payment plan for you. Even if you can only pay $10 a month, it shows you are trying and are not a deadbeat. Things will go better for you if you don't look like a deadbeat.

I hope they will be flexible and work with you according to what you can do. They are such a big company that surely they will have run into your situation before.

Good luck.
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

thanks guys. i will call labcorp tomorrow and see what i can work out. between the NYC docs, all the tests, and my current doctor, we have spent a small fortune. there isn't too much left!

i have recently applied for disability and i hope that it will come through...but i hear it can be a very long process.

i remember someone on this board telling me that they didn't pay their labcorp bills for over a year because they couldnt afford it and eventually the lab reduced the bill by 50% i think....

i wonder if i should wait and see what happens...

5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Hi ladybugmandy - I was told that as long as you were making a payment MONTHLY on ANY medical bill - even if it is only ONE DOLLAR, they cannot do anything.

6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Hi Sue :)

I would think in this economy LabCorp is used to getting requests for help, so your chances should be good that they will negotiate - or at least agree to very low monthly payments.

It sounds like a good idea to go ahead and apply for disability, I know that must have been hard on you psychologically to decide. Is Lerner giving you any more of an indication when he thinks you could see significant improvement? I am guessing that Lerner will help you in getting disability, yes?

I pray that we all have enough money to get the healthcare that we need - with all of our medical problems I hate that we have the financial stress as well!

Hugs, Kristina
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2009]