Problem of the Week

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybird1, Nov 6, 2002.

1. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Seems each week presents a new problem. This week's complaint is back pain. I've had hip and back pain before
    but with FMS for the last three days or so everytime I cough or sneeze my back muslces get harder and tighter. Anyone else ever had this? Trying to hold out until Nov. 19th when I have my next rheumy appointment.
  2. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Seems each week presents a new problem. This week's complaint is back pain. I've had hip and back pain before
    but with FMS for the last three days or so everytime I cough or sneeze my back muslces get harder and tighter. Anyone else ever had this? Trying to hold out until Nov. 19th when I have my next rheumy appointment.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I started with the upper back pain, shoulders, and across my chest. It seemed to take off from there to other parts of my body.

Have you tried a peroxide and epson salts soak? It is a big help with this pain. Its not a cure, but it sure will give you a goodnights sleep without too much pain.

Heres what I do;

3 bottles of peroxide (regular)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

Mix in a tub of water as warm as you can take. Soak for TWENTY MINUTES ONLY, it will make you feel weak when you get out of the tub, so you need to go lay down for at least a half hour.

Hope this helps a little. A heating pad will also help those muscles to relax.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

I have used to have this shoot me pains in my back. I have a heating mattress pad. I bought it from Sears. I would not be able or willing to live without this thing. It has changed my quality of life so much. Another thing I do is an exercise. My physical therapist showed me how to do this. I have a book called how to cure your back ache. But basically what it says to do is to lay on the floor on your stomach. Put your arms down beside your body and turn your face either to the right or the left. Just lay there for about 10-15 minutes. Get up and go about whatever you do and then repeat this exercise at least four times in a day. Do this for about 3 or 4 days and then take a towel and fold it and put it under your face so that your head is raised a bit and your back starts forming a concave shape in the small of your back. Use the towel for 3-4 days and then put your hands flat on the floor up beside your face and start to life the top part of your body off the floor and hold it for a few minutes. Rest and repeat several times.Do not lift your body more than 2-3 inches off the floor. You should be noticing by now that the pain in your back is lessened. I never go any further with lifting my body off the floor (2-3 inches). If I sleep every night (which I do) on my heated mattress pad, I hardly ever even have to do the exercise. But if I notice that my back is tightening up, I go through a few days of the exercise.
    I hope this might be of some help to you. Hugs, Rose
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

You've got a knot in the muscle. If you can, get a buddy to push on the spot and hold it for a minute. Cough first so they can find the exact spot. It will hurt like heck while they push. The buddy can move their hand a little while keeping up the pressure. The pressure forces fluids out of the muscle knot breaking it up. I get these all the time and do the treatment myself if I can reach the spot. A heating
    pad as hot as you can stand overnight really helps too. I have a love affair going with mine! Good luck!
  6. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

My back pain is constant and unrelenting. Some days just getting up is almost too much to bear. When I have to ride in a car or drive (please, anything but that!)the pain is almost unbearable. I squirm around and cannot get comfortable. I almost always end up sitting with one arm tucked into the small of my back - until it falls asleep, then switch arms.

Anyway, sorry to ramble - a lot of my pain is in my back/neck, then on down to my hips and legs. My arms usually do not bother me too much.

My best relief is a very comfy couch, favorite blanket, some herbal tea, and a good movie. I have pain killers but really try not to use them very often. Baths do not work for me at all, but that's another post.

Take care and hang in there,
    Sim
  7. tedebear

tedebear New Member

that someone else has excruciating pain while driving. It is very painful sitting in one position for any length of time. Even 10 minutes to the grocers, walking into the store, getting the groceries, getting back in the car, driving back home, putting the groceries away. What a job.
    Pain, pain, pain.
    Anyhow happy to hear I'm not alone in this driving pain.
    Soft hugs.

[ advertisement ]