Problem Solving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by revlcb, Mar 27, 2007.

1. revlcb

revlcb New Member

The last time I was in a flare I experienced this and am going through the same thing now while in this flare.

I don't seem to have the mental ability, or it seems too difficult or overwhelming to even attempt to read or solve a problem.

I might want to read something but if it seems too in-depth, I just can't read it. It's just too much. Almost as if it takes too many brain cells then it's just not going to process.

For instance, some of the medical findings in posts here on this board. If the wording is too deep, then it seems to be @#$%@%$^ $%^*^& $%^@&%#& $^&&*&^( %^**(

These things dont' bother me in the least when not in a flare. Anyone know what's going on other than...it's the FMS?
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I don't have the problem with reading, my problem is with speech. I cannot recall the names of things, such as "computer". Instead, I'll go through this whole set of descriptions such as, "that thing with a screen and a keyboard that you communicate with people on".

Anyway, I know what you mean. Don't know what causes it. I'm sure it's brain related though.
    Mini
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Oh, yeah!!! I have the exact same problem for months now. I feel considerably better than I did last fall, but I still have GREAT difficulty trying to read.

Even reading your post wasn't that easy.

I can't read a paragraph that's more than a couple of sentence long...and if it's detailed, FORGET IT!!!

So, there's no telling how many ignorant responses I've had because I couldn't really read through the post thoroughly. Sometimes reading makes my head spin!!!

Sorry you're going through this, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

TerryS
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

It will strike out of nowhere, flare or not but it only last a day for me. When it happens I just try to do something else instead of watching t.v. or reading anything or even cooking. I can't do any of that while in a fog. When my husband gets home from work, I just tell him that I am in a fog and he knows now what to expect and he is just wonderful about it. I will go for a walk or clean my house, something that doesn't take much brain power. Hope it passes soon for you.
  5. JessB

JessB New Member

I have the same problem with both the reading and speech, I know by the third word whether something I am reading will make sense, if not I give up. Same thing with words, I can pretty quickly tell whether I can carry on a conversation, whether it be speaking the words or understanding someone else. I just ask my family to wait until later because things are not making sense. They are pretty understanding.

I try and do things "no brain needed" too. I am not sure about the walking though, I would be afraid I would get lost, seriously. So when I can use my brain I do what I can, and when I can't I just avoid as much as possible.

Personally, I have not found anything that helps with it, other than avoiding noise and relaxing. It seems to be worse with over stimulation, like kids making noise.

I figure it is the FM, I did not have the problem before, but it has gotten worse as the FM gets worse.

Wish I could help. Keep Hope.
  6. revlcb

revlcb New Member

the speach problem but I thought it actually was a brain thing. Saying the wrong word...sometimes I don't even realize I've done it until someone questions me. And I too avoid over stimulation during a flare.

Something odd today that I haven't noticed before. While in a meeting today, I mis-heard something someone said. When I questioned it, I was corrected. Then there was a portion of the meeting where we were brain-storming and when one man spoke I heard "^&*(($^#$ we'll work on the event." I had to inturrupt him to have him repeat himself. I was paying close attention, I know that I've not been my sharpest lately so I kept reminding myself to focus.

Maybe like our oral/mental this is auditory/mental. It's a thought.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2007]
  7. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Minime, I do the same thing, as a matter of fact I could of wrote your post. Not being able to find the word was the first cognitive symptom I had.

Recently however I have had trouble with reading anything that is too in depth just like revicb has described.

My cognitive problems happen anytime my body is fatigue or I am hurting or mental tired/fatigued. I don't have to be in a full blown flare to be in a fog.

Half the time I don't realize I have said something wrong until someone corrects me or looks at me strange.

It can be embrassing at times when I am out with my husband business associates and I'm trying not to be a idiot.

froggy
  8. netnut

netnut New Member

I have word finding problems, spelling problems (thank heavens for spell check) and I have lost my ability to do math. I used to be able to do fairly difficult math equations in my head pretty quickly...but now I cant even add simple numbers together much less subtract. Fractions are out of the question.

If I am trying to cook something and double the recipe I have to just put in two packages one at a time. I cant do it like I used to in my head.

Sometimes it feels like alzheimers.

9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am similar to you with my fibro/CFS. I cannot even begin to concentrate until after 3 pm. I stopped feeling guilty about it because it does not help. I also have insomnia so taking sleep meds and sleeping in does not help matters.

I have a business and it has been a struggle. I do read on the internet alot and also crosswords, etc. to keep my brain working.

On this board, I can't read a post if they do not make paragraphs. When someone posts a long narrative and there are no breaks, I can't even begin to read it - I start over and over.

I also have a low, very low tolerance for anything stressful. I'm very impatient etc. Often I use the word overwhelmed....

10. JessB

JessB New Member

Math used to be easy for me too, high level even. I recently went to a parent-teacher conference with my son and found out 5th grade is even too hard to do in my head.

Me, too, with the impatience and overwhelmed feeling, whats up with that, I was not like that before, but I also use to be able to speak a complete statement without having to describe simple objects.

You know it is bad when your 3 year old completes your sentences. Yikes!!

Revlcb- Yes the speech thing is literally "all in our heads", along with the reading. It is the difficulty of finding the correct word in our verbal lexicon(basically our mental dictionary) Same thing with the reading, we see the word but the place in our brain that connects it to its meaning, isn't connecting right.

There's been research on this type of thing, mostly on kids and how they learn language. Let me do some looking maybe they actually learned something that can help.

Keep Hope.
  11. tngirl

tngirl New Member

its not usually too bad, but when I was taking Lyrica it got awful, I couldn't write legibly and mixed numbers and letters together in words. Cound't think of the correct word and had more difficulty concentrating.

Going off the lyrica helped me. I still have this to some degree but it's very minor right now. Thank Goodness!
  12. tngirl

tngirl New Member

its not usually too bad, but when I was taking Lyrica it got awful, I couldn't write legibly and mixed numbers and letters together in words. Cound't think of the correct word and had more difficulty concentrating.

Going off the lyrica helped me. I still have this to some degree but it's very minor right now. Thank Goodness!
  13. revlcb

revlcb New Member

I often feel overwhelmed but luckily it only lasts a few minutes. When I realize that all the junk(work issues) that makes me feel this way isn't really important, I can usually let the feeling go.

I've found that stress is a huge factor in how ill I feel - not to mention all those nasty symptoms that go along with FMS. Stress is what usually takes that beggining of a flare and builds it into a steamroller. So I don't find it odd that during this flare I'm again experiencing some really odd and nasty symptoms.

Common vacation!!!
  14. Engel

Engel New Member

I gave up on recreational reading years ago ... I have such a struggle just reading and comprehending every day things. I am going bacck to work and I don't know how I will manage :-( .