Problem with jaw after dental treatment -TMJ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JQP, Jul 22, 2003.

1. JQP

JQP New Member

After being sedated for some dental treatment, my mouth got harder and harder to open without pain. Thinking it was from the injection in the muscle, I left it for over a week, but when it got to the stage that I couldn't open my mouth enough to eat cereals without making sure the spoonful was level, I decided to go back.

It turns out that because he put a support in my mouth to keep it open (and stop biting his fingers, I might add :))
    that the muscle and jaw were bruised and swollen.

Yesterday I went back again, although it was better, but thought I would anyway just to let him tell me it was! Turns out that it hasn't healed enough and he is now sending me to consultant at hospital. And there was me thinking I was making a fuss!

He seems quite concerned about the fact that opening my mouth, not only hurts, but I describe it as one part pushing against something that will not move. Bit like opening a door when something is behind it.

I'm now concerned that this is another part of my body that has been damaged by the medics, and I collect another consultant! What happens if it doesn't get better. The other question is - is this TMJ??

Happy days

Jacqui

2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

My first guess, Jacqui, would be that some muscle or tendon or something maybe got displaced from the position of your jaw. It's probably good that you're seeing someone about it, though! Hope whatever it is isn't fixed soon!
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

jaw, locking open and locking shut. I have to massage the sides of my face and eventually it will usually start moving. I just had a dental appointment about a week and a half ago and I'm still having the problem. When I chew my jaw clicks everytime I move it. I also have problems with getting numb, I have had this for over 40 years now. I know that there are some dentists who specialize in working on patients with TMJ, that might help you.

Dara