Problematic HCG after miscarriage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stacybell, Jan 29, 2007.

1. stacybell

stacybell New Member

Hello,
    I tested positive for pregnancy on Thursday, 18 Jan. My HCG count was 161. On Sunday, 21 Jan I experienced slight bleeding. On Tuesday, 23 Jan my HCG count was 210. On Friday, 26 Jan I experienced heavy, dark red bleeding, and cramping. I was told to expect to miscarry since my HCG was not rising properly. The bleeding stopped on today, 29 Jan. More blood was taken from me today (29 Jan) and my HCG count was 330. I would be about 7 weeks prego.
    Does anybody know what could be going on? The doctor wants to do a D and C. I have heard this process leaves you feeling empty, and I don't want to do it. Does anybody have any comments about a D and C? Also, the doctor suggested some sort of needle which will extract my uterus. This doesn't sound like something I want to be involved in either.
    Does anyone have any idea what may be going on with me, or any advice as to what I should do now? Any response is appreciated!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2007]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

All I can say is that when I found out I was going to miscarry, the doctor gave me the choice of having a D&C or letting themselves work out naturally.

I chose the latter and believe that it was the right decision. I was about 2 1/2 months into pregnancy and the placenta was pretty fully formed, but it wasn't a difficult experience. Surgery would have been much more emotionally traumatic as well as stressful on my body.

I don't know whehter in your case you have a choice, but with the bleeding stopped it sounds much more likely that you do. I'd want to know whether I had the option regardless of what I decided.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Miscarriage is, I believe, very common in CFS but it's still hard.

Best, Lisa

Note To All:

My intention in posting on this board is only to share my own experiences, provide observations about other people's experiences, and report comments offered by MD's and other medical professionals.

If I seem to be offering medical advice of the sort that an MD should, this is unintentional. Please don't follow it.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

First, I'm very sorry you're having trouble with this pregnancy. I, too, have had some ODD pregnancies, I will share with you.

1st Pregnancy - 1982 - Positive I was pregnant, but tests were NEGATIVE. I KNEW I was pregnant. Finally, a POSITIVE test, then, had bleeding, cramping, like you, but not heavy. The head of the OB practice saw me, did exam, said I was having a miscarriage. I KNEW I wasnt. Waited 3 days to see my own doctor. She knew things didn't add up right, did ultrasound. She dx. an ECTOPIC pregnancy. Went in for surgery to terminate pregnancy and repair the tube. I was devestated and asked her to try and transplant embryo into uterus. She of course, said they couldn't do that YET. As it turned out, I had ALREADY MISCARRIED on my own, and the side where they THOUGHT was an ECTOPIC, was an OVARIAN CYST and there had been an ECTOPIC PREGNANCY on the other tube !(Which was what they saw on the Ultrasound) (Meaning the REAL ECTOPIC didn't show up on the ultrasound) So, had I gone in and had the D&C the first doc wanted to do, I would have had MAJOR complications with infection down the road, and who knows what all.(As they would no have known about the CYST and ECTOPIC)

2nd Pregnancy - Normal pregnancy, but had light bleeding in the early months, and felt EXTREME cramping each month when I would have had a period. Normal, uneventful pregnancy, delivered 9 lb. 2 oz girl.

3rd Pregnancy - At almost 3 months, my ultrasound showed no fetal heartbeat. Doc wanted to do D&C. I said I would wait until it happened naturally. (Just in case my baby might live) It did miscarry one week later. Had bleeding and cramping and went to ER. Did D&C.

4th Pregnancy = Had trouble getting pregnancy this time. I told DOC I wasn't ovulating. She believed me, did Endometrial biopsy. Yup, I was right. She gave me CLOMID, a fertility drug. I KNEW I was pregnant right away. Asked for pregnancy test. She was hesitant as NO ONE gets pregnant on first month of fertility drugs. Test was positive. She was as happy as if she were my mother. I was EXTREMELY sick the entire pregnancy, fever, felt like dying, but, medically uneventful. Delivered 9 lb. 9 oz. boy.

We called it quits after all that. Go with your gut instincts, and what you feel is right.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

With my first pregnancy, I experienced heavy bleeding during my second month. I ended up having a healthy baby girl. I was told that bleeding sometimes happens. That was in 1968.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My miscarriage sounds exactly like your third pregnancy.

I didn't have to have a D&C though.

I knew I was going to have a miscarriage because an ultrasound a couple of weeks earlier said that the fetus had failed to form to any significant extent. Shortly after that, I got spotting.

One evening, I got a lot of cramping and the placenta was expelled. I bled fairly lightly for a few days after that, then it went down to spotting, then stopped completely.

I acquired CFS (with the "killer flu") during that pregnancy and think an operation of any sort would have been bad for me. The way that it ended up happening was not physically stressful at all.

Obviously, sometimes D&C's are necessary. In my case, it was not.

I have a very very very good OB/GYN, by the way.

Best, Lisa

Note To All:

My intention in posting on this board is only to share my own experiences, provide observations about other people's experiences, and report comments offered by MD's and other medical professionals.

If I seem to be offering medical advice of the sort that an MD should, this is unintentional. Please don't follow it.