Problems eating......Not eating?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Nov 19, 2002.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does anyone out there have problems eating or not eating?
    I know it must be the medications that cause this. I know that I take my meds AM, Noon, Eve, Bedtime and when I do I eat a little something to settle my stomach (have IBS and RSD too). Yet there are times I don't feel like eating.
    Responses would be nice. Don't know if it is just me.
    Thanks. Soft hugs.
  2. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does anyone out there have problems eating or not eating?
    I know it must be the medications that cause this. I know that I take my meds AM, Noon, Eve, Bedtime and when I do I eat a little something to settle my stomach (have IBS and RSD too). Yet there are times I don't feel like eating.
    Responses would be nice. Don't know if it is just me.
    Thanks. Soft hugs.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I get days where I wake up a little queasy in the stomach. I don't take pain meds but just the BP meds and asthma stuff is quite enough. I get IBS off and on and even after my morning BM I feel queasy. I find munching on little unsalted pretzels helps me. Then on the other hand there are days I can eat almost anything. My tummy is rather peculiar. I know IBS but what is RSD? I don't think you are the only one with this misery.
    I'm sure others will reply.
    Tania
  4. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I've lost a total of 38lbs. A couple of lbs a week. At least once a week I don't eat anything. On the days I do eat it's a can of peaches, or something very light. I find I can't eat "regular" food anymore. The thought of the Thanksgiving meal makes me ill. I don't know if it's due to meds or depression. Doc and therapist think it's due to depressin and sent me to a shrink about it, who did absolutely nothing, other than ask why I don't eat, to which I responded I don't have an appetite. So, I'm starting to get worried that I may have developed an eating disorder.

Hugs,
    Regina
  5. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

Personally, I will got a week or so with no appitite at all. Then out of the blue I will start craving things, things I don't even like to eat. I have gone through wieght gain and loss. I reacently lost 20lbs in two weeks. I needed to drop the wieght, but not that fast. Yesterday was the first time have really eaten in a week, and even that was only a little corn, half a piece of chicken and some mac and cheese. There was a time I could eat a whole large pizza myself; now I am lucky if I can eat two slices. My mother-in-law has a similar problem, but she is down to 100lbs. Her Dr. is worried and has told her to drink 6 cans of Ensure a day. If you are worried you may want to try some. They give you fat, cal, and vit. May God bless you and LOL.
    Lisa
  6. tedebear

tedebear New Member

for replying. RSD is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I got it after I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Constant burning, tingling and numbness and spasms increased in neck and shoulders. Not fun on top of the Fibro.
    Thanks again and very soft hugs.
  7. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

that is the question. I have a poor appetite and some days I have to force myself to eat. On days when I have more energy and am more active, I don't have a problem. I have lost 9 pounds in 3 months. I'm a small lady and don't really want to lose much more. I try using supplements to make up for what I'm not consuming.

Hope this helps. Lisa
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Is my problem. I have to force myself to eat. I keep putting it off like it was the worst job I had to do!

The Fibro did not cause this, nor did meds with me, I have been a poor eater since I was a child.

I don't know the answer to this, or the why. But it is miserable.

I remember my Mother giving me 'Tonics' to make me eat, but I don't remember them working.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I rarely have an appetite. As a matter of fact, I usually forget about eating altogether until I'm dizzy and have to force myself to eat. The sad thing is since I have gotten worse with fatigue and concentrating, I rarely even make dinner for my family...it's pathetic. I use to cook great dinners every night and keep a menu for the week. Now somewhere in the back of my mind I am just hoping the meals will work themselves out, this puts added pressure on my husband. I also find so many times my day just completely slips away and before I know it everyone else is home, starving and of course I haven't planned anything.

I hate eating, worrying about what to eat, what to feed my family, and whether I will have the energy to fix it.This also creates problems because then I am nauseous and don't want to take my supplements which I desperately need.

Makes me feel bad and neglectful.
    Susan
  10. fibolady

fibolady New Member

who would have an appetite when they are hurting! i too have to force my self to eat during flares, and sometimes just getting soup down is hard. i too, have lost a lot of weight for my small frame, and don't not want to loose anymore.

i have found that as the years go by with the fms, my appetite has decreased each year. before the fms, i ate ALL the time. i lived to eat! what a difference now.

i have found that giving up gluten has helped my IBS a great deal, but it has not improved my appetite. since i can't eat dairy either, trying to fatten up on milkshakes won't work.

of course, i am going through some stressful times now, so maybe when things are better i will get some appetite back. looking at a big ole piece of chocolate cake doesn't even make me want a slice, now i know something is wrong!

warm regards, fibolady
  11. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I have lost my appetite and the only time I have one is when I get my monthly visit.

I haven't really lost weight and I should have cause I don't eat and I have an active job.

I forget to eat until I have hunger pains. Then I eat something small and I'm fine for hours.

I know I don't eat right. I don't have the energy to cook and just usually grab whatever is at hand, bread, apple, soup etc.

I take zoloft, ultram, and bextra(no more of bextra after Shirls post today, I'm allergic to sulfa). I wonder if the meds are making us not quite so hungry or maybe taking the meds together and the combination has that effect.hmmm!

For the fight,

TAMARA!
  12. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

i also find it hard to eat it makes me tired when there is things to do .i have no appite at times i will not eat and drive some where i think i might fall a sleep .do eat supperthen i am out for a few hours .i dont like the weight loss at all . for me meds do not work . just some herbal stuff for my stomach if the fog is not there. i do drink beer i know that it is not good for me but it does dull the pain a bit. also i do not drink and drive norma