Problems switching from Brand Klonopin to Generic??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Feb 23, 2010.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

My insurance company is threatening to more than triple my co-pay if I don't make this switch.

I'm extremely sensitive to changing meds; especially my main one that I've taken for years.

Any feedback appreciated.
  2. spacee

spacee Member

You probably know that Dr. Cheney says his patients do not do as well on the generic.

That said, I take the generic. I take it at 9:30 pm and still don't go to sleep until 11:30 or 12.
    I usually take .25 of xanax to try to help my brain go to sleep. See how well it does? Well, it does seem like my brain is more of a restful state with xanax .25, instead of full alert.

Could you maybe try 3/4 tab of the brand name with 1/4 tab of the generic. Do that for at LEAST a week, maybe one whole month. Then go down to 1/2 of each.

Definitely a very gradual tradeoff with possibly xanax on hand if you need it.

Don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere (if so, probably here) that generics do not have to have the full strength of the brand name. Something like 80%.

Good luck to you!!

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oddly, I found that I could take one Klonopin generic (Teva) but not others and not the brand name. There definitely is a difference.

Sorry not to give you good news. Can your doctor write a special dispensation for you to send to your insurance company?

[This Message was Edited on 02/23/2010]
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

I dont know about you but I am highly allergic to some of the fillers in these generics.

Klonopin generic I tried all and pay a hefty price for the real drug.

I hate the generic it does not work.

We are very sensitive so sometimes we have to get the real drug. Due to the reaction of the fillers if you get my drift.

5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I had my Dr. send a letter of medical necessity, but won't hear back for a few weeks. I remember trying the generic years back, and it just didn't work at all; can't remember the exact side effects. Probably allergies to the fillers.

I also remember others talking about how the generic was not nearly as strong.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just praying I get a positive "yes" for the Brand.
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I have the same problem/different drug with my insurance. Mine is all generic versions of a drug, even Excedrin.

From what I have read on this board here, alot of us have the same problem with generic drugs.
    They just don't have the same punch.

I had to have a new RX written for Ambien from my Dr. and have him label it NO GENERIC. I phoned my pharmacist to ask them what if any the difference was between the versions and she told me they are 98% the same. Well I have to tell you, it must be that other 2% that was working for me.

I too have to pay the additional cost and it is 3X more than generic. The insurance companies say that there is NO difference it's only that the patent is off of the original version and now other companies can make the drug at a cheaper cost(they aren't paying for the research to develop it). It's like saying that the local burger joint can make the same version of a BIG MAC. It's just not the right recipe.

Sorry for you loss :)
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

Recently my insurance changed and I noticed my klonopin was different.
    It is not working as well and actually giving me more problems.

The pharmacy just said its a different brand! Ya right. Years ago I used to have doc write no generic for meds. I had forgotten about this.

Also very sensitive to meds which I argue with my doc about. It is the fillers they use.

good luck
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

How many mg do you take? I take lmg 2x day; at night only as it'll put me to sleep during the day. If I've been overstimulated, I'll take another one.

Just interested in how much others take.
  9. spacee

spacee Member

I take 1.5 at 9:30pm.