Problems tolerating sleep meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Sep 13, 2006.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Well, I've tried a couple different things in the last couple weeks and am getting worse, not better. Last night I took my Skelaxin and within about an hour to hour and a half, I felt so dizzy, nauseous, like passing out. It was really horrible. Anyone else have this problem with muscle relaxants? I normally just take l mg of lorazepam around 9 pm and tolerate it very well. I didn't even have too much trouble adjusting to it in the beginning. A little groggy and hungover feeling for a couple of hours in the morning for the first month or two, but then it went away and I actually felt the best I've felt in a while. I wasn't well, but I wasn't dizzy like before and was tolerating doing things more for myself, shopping, driving, etc. I think I'm just going to have to go back to that med by itself.

Only problem, is the doc that I get it from is not wanting to renew my script anymore and will run out in January. My regular doc has a fit about taking lorazepam for sleep everyday, but what he doesn't realize is I suffer from anxiety and it really helps me relax and be able to function the next day. I wouldn't want to take anymore than I'm taking because I would probably feel oversedated then too and feel really weird. The benzos seem to be a bit milder than some of these other drugs with less side-effects.

Thanks for letting me vent and please feel free to comment.

GBHope
  2. GBHope

GBHope New Member

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Are you taking an SSRI such as Prozac, Lexapro, etc.? If not, you might try taking 5-htp. It's an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin. It helps with sleep and mood, but you shouldn't take it if you are already taking an SSRI.

Also, a natural remedy for anxiety which works well is the amino acid l-theanine. It helps your brain produce GABA, a natural tranquilizer. It's supposed to produce a state of calm alertness. The Japanese spike many products with it. I buy mine from Swanson Vitamins. Their product is called Suntheanine.

It would be good to have your cortisol levels checked. Mine were high and I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which made me calmer and also helped me sleep better. The testing was done by a saliva test. Naturopaths can order the test. I had mine done by Clymer Healing Reserach Center in Pennsylvania - they're on the internet, we did it all by phone and e-mail and regular mail.

So the l-theanine, 5-htp and Seriphos all helped me with sleep, anxiety and mood, without the side effects of prescription drugs. You might want to look into them.

Mary