Problems with ants

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I hate those crawly things. I discovered a bunch of ants around my kitchen sink tonight. I sprinkled them with baking soda and then doused them with vinegar--makes a mess but it does help to kill them.

Any other ideas out there? I can not use poisens.

2. findmind

findmind New Member

LOL, not funny, I know, but I got a long thread going on the FM/CFS board over a year ago, and had sooooo many suggestions!

The one that worked, and still does, is to use bay leaves; break them up and drop them wherever the ants are; they hate them, and disappear.

While they were really bad, coming in cracks in the undersides of my old house's cabinets, I sprayed oven cleaner! It dried to a "crystal" and the ants did not come thru there anymore!

I drop crumbled bay leaves between the stove and counter and behind the stove and in the bottom "pans" drawer. Also under and behind the microwave.

One has to wipe them up and put new ones down every couple of weeks, as they dry out, but a minor problem to me.

Good luck!
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

There are 2 kinds of ants:
    ants that eat sugar based stuff, and
    ants that eat oil or grease based food stuff.

In the grocery store, there are little ant bait traps that the ants take the bait back to the nest. I like this kind of bait because you don't have to clean up a bunch of dead ants. It gets ALL of them because all of the ants in the colony are poisoned. Ants also don't like Boric Acid, but I don't know if you have animals and I don't know if animals like Boric Acid. My last dog would eat ANYTHING!

I'd go with the bait traps from the grocery store because the bait is confined in a vial so other animals can't eat it.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

bay leafs for now and tomorrow I will go get some ant traps.

Thanks for your help!!
  5. pasara

pasara New Member

put spearmint leaves all around the sink area. also plant tansy and spearmint outside around house and you will not get ants. they don't like these plants. pennyroyal too, though if you have little ones not good, since a poisonous plant. tansy has always worked great for me.
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

There is also something called antkill. It comes in a little bottle. I purchased it in the grocery store when I was in Florida several years ago. I put a couple drops on an index card and place it in the ant trail. The ants drink the blue fluid and take it back to feed the colony. It works very well.
  7. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

if you have (or can get) boric acid. In a small plastic or glass container mix about a teaspoon of boric acid into about 2 teaspoons of corn syrup (Karo syrup) or honey. Punch quite a few holes in the lid and then close up the container. If you have kids or pets, you should probably tape the lid on with heavy tape.

Then set it out where the ants will find it. They'll carry it back to the queen and in a couple of days it will kill the whole colony.

My mom has used this recipe for years, and I've had good success with it myself. I once talked to an exterminator about ants, and he said this mixture is very similar to what they use when they're called to a house for an ant problem.

Best wishes,
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we use Ant Spray and spray it round the outside of the house and it always works.

I like ants but not in my home. If you are doing the spraying, wear a mask.

I dont like the idea of killing off the ant colony - every creature has a purpose and ants work their little behinds off.

[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2008]
  9. Doober

Doober New Member

having the ant problem, but they only come into the house for such a short period and then they never come in again.

It seems like I find them in the house for a 3 week period and then they are gone. It must be the transition from being under ground for so long and the summer months.
  10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

For about a month now, when I turn light on in kitchen at night, I see a couple dozen large ants on the floor by the refrigerator.

Not sure quite what to do. I have a bunch of ant poison devices, etc, but the ants don't seem to bother anything and are gone in the morning.

Maybe they keep away the tiny ants that get into everything.

I guess following the ant trails back to where they come into house...and sealing the spot....might be best way to deal with ants.

Just an aside: The Army ants of South America seem to have had a major "image improvement" recently.

Instead of being deadly, ferocious, creatures as depicted in movies, it turns out that natives can rather like the army ants.

Anyway, the ants come through for a day and naturally clear out all the spiders, fleas, scorpions, in a house and leave everything very pleasant and clean for the natives.

Hmmm, maybe I could rent out army ant colonies like bee colonies are rented?:)

Your Mr Bill

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know you do not like poison but these tiny clear plastic ant traps really work. The ants go in and take the poison back to the colony. It stops them once and for all. The poison is contained in the traps and not on other surfaces.

I live in FL and the ants try to come in during our summer rainy season. I keep the traps under the stove and some kitchen shelves. If ants try to come in the windows of other rooms, I will place a trap on the floor and soon, they are gone.

If we really get a bad infestation, I will spray around our bldg., but that's a last-ditch solution and it isn't permanent. The traps really do work.

Love, Mikie
  12. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I wonder if anyone has tried one. mr Bill
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

an anteater would get along. Nice idea though.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When my daughter's pit bull/chow chow was a puppy, she would go outside and stomp on the ants and lick them off her paws.

Love, Mikie