Problems with Bladder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

For several years I have had problems with Interstitial Cystitis and have been able to somewhat control it through diet. For the past month I have had bladder symptoms and even though I am following a very careful diet I cannot seem to get relief from the symptoms.
    Symptoms are frequency, sometimes can't empty the bladder, discomfort in bladder area and irritation and sometimes burning in vaginal area. I saw the nurse practitioner last week and she said that I had a trace of white blood cells in urine. So I took Cipro for 5 days and stilll have the symptoms.

Do any of you have these problems and how long will a flare usually last. Even though I am trying to eat only things that wouldn't cause the symptoms the symptoms are still there.

Can anyone help, please? Thank you so much.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Marlene - White blood cells in the urine can also be caused by the IC, not necessarily from a bladder infection. The NP should have sent your urine sample to the lab to be cultured. I would go back to her again and ask that she do that.

Have you had a bladder dialation (sp?) done? I had that done 10 years ago and it pretty much cured my IC. I still have to be careful about what I eat, however, when I do eat an offending food, it is only a problem for a day or two and then clears up.
  3. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I didn't know that IC can cause the urine to have white blood cells. I will call the NP. I have not had a bladder dialation done. I didn't realize that would cure the IC. I am ready to do whatever it takes because I am feeling rather miserable. Thank you again for your reply.
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

cranberry and aloe vera keep a bacteria normally found in our colon: E. Coli from being able to stick to the bladder wall.

Dr. Teitelbaum says that CFS ppl need to treat for candida continuously.

The bladder dialation will have to be done by a Urologist. Might be wise to just go see one, since they specialize in the Kidney, ureters, bladder system. Bring along a copy of the lab reports from the NP. If you have it, ask the Medical assistant to mail it to you or just pick it up.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

If you have tried everything else and it maybe doesn't work, try NADH 10mg in the
    am with a glass of water. The mannose in it is what does the trick for me. And the
    cellular energy is a big help too.

It's pricey but after 4 bladder dilatations, this is what stopped the cycle for me.
    Not a bladder problem since.

Sorry you are having such a time!

6. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Since this product NADH is for energy, do you know how it would work to relieve the symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis? I will order some from Pro-Health soon, but was just wondering how this product works. There are so many ingredients in supplements that cause a flare-up of IC that I have to be really careful about what I take.

Thanks for any help.
  7. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

but it doesn't have any mannose in it.

Aloe vera is a great source of mannose.
  8. spacee

spacee Member

I should have used the word D-mannitol, sorry. That is what helps my bladder.

I have had rare mast cells in my bladder biopses and given the diagnosis of IC.
    Wether or not I have it is not clear to me.

I could not eat anything acidic. And was to the point I could not travel to my
    mother's house by plane cause I could not get to a tub.

I have not had that painful experience since the NADH. I did not start taking
    the NADH for the bladder but for energy. It took me awhile to figure out
    that it was the D-mannose in it that was the help.

Hope something helps you, it is a terribly painful condition!
  9. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

How were you diagnosed? Did you have a cystoscopy? If so (and that's the most reliable way to prove that it's IC) you probably had your bladder stretched, as most docs do it right then. I have IC but have been in remission for the most part for some years now...get occasional problems but nothing like before. I tried Elmiron but orally it caused too many side effects so I ended up going with bladder distillations. I had a series of them...the doc injected the Elmiron directly into the bladder along with another med, can't remember what. It took about three months to notice a difference. If it ever got as bad as it once was, I'd go that route again as miserable as it was.

In addition to diet, I was told to avoid any towels, underwear, etc w/ dyes, as that can cause problems. For me it does. Also, stress, ha ha, of course. I can eat some of the foods I once had to avoid but still watch what I eat. I used to take Prelief. That helped somewhat but I had to stop calcium intake so I stopped buying it.

Hope you get some relief soon.
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have an appointment with my doctor for the 25th this month because I constantly feel like I have a urinary tract infection. I called the office and talked with a male nurse. I did tell him I wasn't sure if I had an infection, or if it's just my FM flaring up on me, so I just wanted to get a urine culture to see what that says.

Who diagnosed you with INterstitial Cystitis? If you have that, then I would think an antibiotic wouldn't help, but I'm not sure. I always thought that you had to have a certain kind of bacteria plus white blood cells in order for them to give an antibiotic? Not sure. I don't do well on antibiotics and never have. My diet has to be very bland, no sugar, or only a little bit of sugar, no white stuff like pizza crust or flour in order for me to feel like I don't have an infection, so strange, I just think it could be fibro, or maybe something else. I get burning and a dry feeling too, hate that, but I don't have it all the time. Hugs, Chelz.
  11. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Mannose is 10x more potent than cranberry juice at keeping bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall. Clear Tract is a mannose supplement and I have had great success with it.

Have you been diagnosed with IC via scoping or is your doctor just assumng that must be the problem because you have symptoms and your urine cultures are negative? It matters. Also are you pre-, peri-, or menopausal. I ask because with low estrogen levels, the bladder can become irritated and you can display symptoms of UTI but not have a an infection and a negative culture. In this case standard of care is local use of very low estrogen, ie. vagifem, estring or cream.