Problems with UNUM Insurance??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with UNUM insurance and disability? I have been awarded my disability from Social Security, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, and Long Term Disability Insurance Company. Yet, UNUM still says I'm not disabled. I think I have to die before they will determine I'm disabled. What's really surprising is that my claim against UNUM is not for any monetary gain, but only a waiver of premium on a life insurance policy. If I had the money and the strength to fight them I would hire an attorney and sue them for all the anguish they've put me through for the last two years.

Dara
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

but when I was trying to get my disability approved by Standard, I heard lots of bad things about UNUM--no LTD insurance company is good, but they're the worst. I think there might even have been a class action lawsuit or they were investigated by the US Dept of Labor, or something. You might want to do a web search.
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

But, you know even after I saw that I honestly thought that if I was ever granted my SSD then there would be no way they could still turn me down. Silly Me... I did do a search on them and there is some information on there regarding class action suits that were done a couple of years ago. I need to check into it a little deeper, I don't know how that works. Do you just jump on the band wagon and join the class action suit??

Thanks for the replies.

Dara
  4. starbuckboy

starbuckboy New Member

Hi Dara. I too was denied disability by Unum Provident about 5 months ago. I of course appealed and they are supposed to respond to your appeal within 45 days per federal law. But as of today, I still haven't recieved a response.

So, I'm going to roll up my sleeves and keep fighting these corporate bullies. It's completely a moral issue for me now, but I sure could use the money as well. I'll keep you posted on what transpires.

Also, would you mind letting me know what you find out about that class action suit? Thanks. -Jeremy

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2003]
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

with UNUM being a moral issue. In my case, it doesn't even involve me getting any money, it's only for a waiver of premium. But, now it's the principle of the matter, who do these guys think they are anyway?

I did a web search under UNUM class action and it had lots of links, I'll go back to it later and see what more I can find. I'll let you know. Wouldn't you think the Insurance Commissioners would be doing something about their underhanded way of doing business? They remind me of the Insurance Company in the book/movie "The Rainmaker". Now if I could just get Matt Damion to represent me, wouldn't that be great???

Good luck to you, I'll let you know what I find out, and you do the same, OK??

Dara
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

First of all before I get started on UNUM, I have to agree with you about Hospital administration. For that matter, any business involved in the medical field. You would think they would be the most compassionate ones since they deal with sick people every day. When my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia, she was in the hospital for intensive high dose chemotherapy. Her first stay was over seven weeks. Anyway, she worked for a doctor's office. Wouldn't you know, while she was in the hospital, not knowing if she would even live, they sent her a letter of termination. She also was an excellent employee, had worked there for about two or three years and had many promotions and never missed one day of work from being sick. So, I really understand how you feel about them.

Now onto to UNUM, I'm wondering if you spoke with the same smart mouthed employee I did? She was a real B****. She had me in tears many many times. Totally rude, no compassion, no customer service, nothing...

Too bad we can't compare the nasty little comments they wrote to us. First they turned me down because I wasn't following the doctor's orders (which I was), they said I wasn't trying physical therapy, water therapy, etc. When I wrote back to them and said I had tried it but couldn't continue because it made the problems worse, they wrote back and said that if I was able to try and do them then I wasn't as sick as I and the doctor said I was. One of their so called doctors even wrote that if my doctor thought I was so sick then why didn't he report me to the Department of Motor Vehicles as an impaired driver? Just thinking of them makes my blood boil.

I did turn them in to the State Insurance Commissioner's Office. They called me back last week and said after reading their policy that I basically would not be determined disabled by UNUM unless I was completely bed ridden, I would not be able to do one thing for myself. I made the mistake in the beginning of saying that on "good days" (which are few and far between), I was able to do light housekeeping. Now I'm not talking about cleaning, vacuuming, etc., I meant maybe load the dishwasher, of course they didn't take into consideration that it could take me all day to accomplish that.

When I got my approval from SSD I really thought that for that reason alone they would approve my disability. But, no they did not.

I would love to take this to an attorney, but don't know if an attorney would even touch it. Since there is no monetary gain, then they wouldn't do it on a contingency basis and I sure don't have the money to pay an attorney by the hour.

Have you appeared in fron of the ALJ for SSD yet? I have posted a lot on here about my experience with that, if you're interested just do a search under my name. If there's anything I can help you with just let me know.

Dara
  7. rigby

rigby New Member

I had UNUM they refused to pay me and I had sugery plus FM this has been going on since Oct I sent my thing to lawyer for him to look at UNUM does not believe in FM I saw different doctors, physical therapy, chiroprartic, and psychotherapist but I'm not sick then I had heart attack Rigby
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

get your disability from UNUM? I don't think it should make any difference if UNUM believes in FM or not. If so, then they should have listed it in their policy as an exclusion or a non-covered illness. I hope you're recovering after your heart attack. I don't think the stress that is put on a person from these insurance companies helps our health at all.

Dara
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

class action lawsuits, there were over five pages of them. I'm sure if you'll do the search you'll find a lot of information, maybe something that can help you. Good luck..

Dara
  10. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

As I said before, I have Standard, not UNUM, but they're similar. I lucked out in finding my lawyer. Standard does NOT like him! They don't like him so much that they've filed harassment charges against him and I don't know what else. When the US Dept of Labor finally investigated them, he went to Washington DC to testify against them.

I don't know how you'd go about finding an attorney like that for UNUM. I'd guess the 5 pages of class action lawsuits might be a good place to start.
  11. mswilcat

mswilcat New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a couple years ago through Georgetown University in Washington DC. I had some of the best doctors in the country send in reports on me. Unum turned me down and what I did was send them a letter that I knew about the Class Action Lawsuit against them and that I would get my own attorney to file suit against them. I may have even had an attorney write them a letter and I think I only paid a couple hundred dollars to do that. It took me about 9 months before I told them about the lawsuit I knew about and before you know it, they settled with me and said they'd give me one years salary to go away. I took it and ran with it. So, my advice is to learn as much as you can about the class action lawsuit, maybe have your attorney who represented you with social security, write them a letter and the turnaround should be quite fast. More importantly, try to join the class action lawsuit, but if you choose not to, at least now you know there's hope out there. Good luck and I know they will change their mind before you know it!
  12. erkymm

erkymm New Member

hello i went through the same thing as many others did with unum. i had to get done my job after 31 yrs have severe fibro ,coild no longer do my job. or any other secondly job, i am now waiting for hearing date with judge been denied twice,they paid me 7 weeks short term dis , then stoped paying, used every excuse they could think of to deny me.my drs all were backing me. i have also osteo , mps plmd.depression , i think i won it on my depression, so maybe you should consider that route talk to dr. about how your depression also stops you from working also. good luck. let us know how you make out.
  13. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

is that there's often a 2-year limitation on mental health issues. So if they approve, they'll pay you for two years and then they'll stop and you'll have to fight all over again. Of course, at least that gives you two years of income.

And now, of course, they're including a limitation on CFS and maybe FMS as well. (You'll have to look at your policy to see what limitations are in place and how long they're for.) If you're in that boat, it probably doesn't matter why you're approved.
  14. annepat

annepat New Member

What about looking into who follows the company? ie; financial industry analysts. You could then check their financial statements to see wether they are accurately documenting their liability risks for their stockholders.

Unum stockholders get paid AFTER unum execs boardmembers and yes, Unum consultant "physicians" and attorneys. I'm from Maine-the local analysts who follow the co. downgraded after the dateline and 60 min. stories (actually, I'm from Portland, and we somehow had an emergency "power outage" when the Unum 60 m inute story was being aired). Co. execs lost big $$$$, but worse still, they've been downgraded on the social circuit-

You might want to write a letter, send it certified mail. Explain that you are curious about their ability to comply with Sarbanes Oxley given their ongoing legal maneuvers to avoid claim payouts. Ask for the hourly rate oif the "physician Consultants" and attorneys who are involved in your claim-they won't answer-Carbon copy an analyst. Also-check the SEC website-it lists significant purachases and sales of stock by co. insiders. Plug in "up the ladder" into the SEC website-it is a portion of Sarbanes dealing with attorney compliance that was in review. I haven't check the status of it, but you might want t read it, print it out, highlight a few significant sentences, and send it in with your letter.

Another thought would be to copy in the board of overseers for the state/attorney that is in charge of your claim, and copy in Unum's corporate counsel. It mught get their attention.

I've been having trouble with my health insurer-Anthem. I went in. They are still problematic, but since I went in and innocently excplained to a customer service rep. that my designated beneficiary (the person thta they get to deal with if anything happens to me) is a mergers and acquisitions attoreny who specializes in SEC compliance, and pointed out that we were becoming "concerned" with their "billing errors",lost documents...i'm having far fewer problems....
  15. Dara

Dara New Member

they must still be in business. You couldn't prove it by me, I haven't heard one word from them since my last denial and that's been quite awhile ago. I did send all my information to a group of attorney's out of state who are involved in cases against UNUM. They are reviewing my file and said they would get back to me.

Let me know how you do on your quest to fight them. I'd love to see them shut down for fraudulent practices of selling a product and then not delivering. I believe it's called "bad faith".

Dara
  16. rigby

rigby New Member

I to this day have not receive but 2 weeks from them they say I'm not sick even if I had surgery the MI with stent placement. All the lawyer I have talked with want take on my case as the first 10 weeks are short term before it becomes long term I still keep trying on my own. Rigby
  17. Dara

Dara New Member

lawyer, then I wish you lots of luck. I got no where with them, and not even sure if the attorney will or not. Have you contacted your State Insurance Commissioner? I think they should be thrown out of the insurance business. Let me know how things turn out for you, I'll be interested to hear.

Dara
  18. calzy

calzy New Member

They have made my life miserable for 4 years!!!!! I hate them, and am filing a lawsuit under the Rico Act. My attorney is in Miami and is taking this on a contingency basis. There are disablity lawyers who will take cases on the contingency basis. DO NOT give up, go after them!
    Calzy
  19. calzy

calzy New Member

They have made my life miserable for 4 years!!!!! I hate them, and am filing a lawsuit under the Rico Act. My attorney is in Miami and is taking this on a contingency basis. There are disablity lawyers who will take cases on the contingency basis. DO NOT give up, go after them!
    Calzy
  20. annepat

annepat New Member

The STRONGEST of the 2 up the ladder provisions has passed, and the ABA is indicating thta it WILL be enforced.

Go the the ABA or SEC websites for complete info-it has teeth.

anne