Problems with work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Dec 30, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I thought I had been having good days, boy, did I call it wrong. I had been feeling good and today went back to work from Christmas break and boss informs me that she wants to add more duties (with no more pay). I am maxed out now! After a long discussion with her I came home feeling so overloaded and used up and I just wanted to die. can she not see how much I do now. There is just not enough of me to go around! Now I am hurting, my back is killing me, my hands and feet are swelling, I feel feverish and feels very much like a flare. Does anyone ever flare after emotional stress?
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi poodlegirl~~read your post and thought it sounded just like mine. I work 3 days a week, but in order to keep my job--I have to cram 5 days work into 3, and it really takes a toll on me. After working those 3 days, I am bed-ridden for the next two days.

The director where I work is NOT at all supportive. I do have a mate, but he is so in debt that he cannot pay all his bills much less help out with the household bills, living expenses, or help me financially. I am my sole financial support and would be bankrupt without my job. Depending on my mate is completely out of the question.

And the workload at the office never ends, and the more I do--the more the director piles on me--also without no additional compensation. I haven't had a raise in the 10 years I've worked there even though my year-end performance evaluations have all been Outstanding.

However, after being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease two years ago and having so much back pain on top of FM/CFS, arthritis, severe asthma, and other ailments--I ended up collapsing one day at work from sheer exhaustion and quit breathing. After that, I realized that I had to start setting limits on how much work I could realisticly do. This did not go over well with the director, and since then he has been trying to find some "legal" reason to get rid of me.

However, every hour of my day at work is filled with clients, meetings, and documentation which is logged in my appointment book. I keep good records about all the work I do and how all my work hours are accounted for. And the director is aware of this. I have had to learn how to decline "additional work" gracefully. Your health comes first--I learned that the hard way.

There is only so much of you to go around; only so much work you can do in an 8 hour day. If you don't already, keep a daily, hourly log of everything you do--good documentation is the key to survival. If your boss knows about your chronic illness, she may be deliberately trying to overload you to make you look incompetent, and thus, be able to discredit you enough to validate firing you. Another thing, any duties added on to your job that are not included in your present job description must be adequately compensated.

Do not allow your boss to literally work you to death. You have Rights. Educate yourself about the laws regarding the accommodations for chronically ill people; read the company's personnel manual about additional duties not in your job description, document your work time, and learn how to "decline" unrealistic job duties especially without additional compensation. Educate yourself--it will be your strongest frame of reference.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you get to feeling better. These flares do pass, but in the meantime they drain us, and we need to pamper and nurture ourselves back to health. Be kind to yourself, and let us know how you are doing. Blessings, Carol...