Products for the Chemically Sensitive

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, May 22, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We started a list of these a while back, but it was accidentally deleted. These are products that may be useful for those of us who are very sensitive to most ordinary household or personal care products.

I would like to find a shampoo that's gentle, for normal hair, and fragrance free. Also, at a good price. The one I used in the past has been discontinued.

Some products I find helpful:

Dove Sensitive Skin Deodorant

Dove Sensitive Skin Soap

Tide Free Liquid Laundry Detergent

Bounce Free Dryer Sheets
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. I used Tide Free and Dove Sensitive Skin soap BEFORE MCS but cannot use any of those things listed now because of the petro-chemicals.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Laura, I have had good results with those so far. We had to stop using Comet Cleanser and Palmolive Dish Soap though. I've used those for many years until about 5 years ago.

I really need to find a good shampoo. Most shampoos these days are for special hair problems. They always have extra ingredients added for dry hair, oily hair, permed, colored, curly, thin hair, etc.

I need hypoallergenic, fragrance free, for normal hair. So far, no luck!
  4. I hope you find a shampoo that works for you.

I have used dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap (baby or peppermint) as shampoo for 13 years.

At first it was awful but after a couple of weeks my hair was soft and shiny.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

I have to wonder if all those specialty shampoos really make a difference. There's only so many ways you can tweak those basic ingredients. Except for fragrances, and a lot of us can't tolerate any of those.

gb66- don't you just hate it when manufacturers stop making the things that have worked? There's so much pressure to develop "new" products - it's all about $$. When I can afford it I stock up on the things I really like, if I think they will keeep. Thanks for the deoderant suggestion. I break out with so many of them, I'd rather stink :p
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Laura, I may give that a try. Thanks.

Ninkinindy, Yes, and I have lost a lot of my favorite products over the last few years. I used Ivory shampoo for many years and loved it, they discontinued it. Then had to change to Dove. It was pretty good but they had to change that too. Now it says it's intensive therapy for damaged hair and it's much too strong for me.

I lost my Cover Girl lip gloss too. I've been ordering the old Dove shampoo and lip gloss on Ebay and sometimes Amazon for awhile now but have to pay much higher prices for both since they're not available in stores. Makes no sense to take good products away.
  7. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

Like I said - to me, I think it's all about $$. It's kind of like "keeping up with the Jones'" " Let's try to fool the consumers we've the latest and greatest." Several years ago I went to get some Dove Sensitive Skin facial wash. I noticed there were only a few left on the shelf, and also noticed a new Dove product was on the shelf. I snapped those "old" babies up. Since I only need to use a dab twice a day, I still have one left. Someday, though, I'll run out.

I used to do the same things with bras. If I found one I liked, I'd get several, because each style is usually discontinued sooner rather than later.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I've done that too. When Ivory shampoo was being discontinued I bought up so many bottles they lasted a year. Sometimes companies do have to admit they made a mistake. Like with classic coca cola that time.

Not long ago Kraft changed their Catalina style salad dressing but they went back to the old one also. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

Has anyone with MCS used Debra Lynn Dadd's website or read her books?

They have been the best guide for me in learning what is toxic, and what to replace it with. She also has a questions and answers part, to see what problems other MCS people have, and solutions.

She is also called 'The Queen of Green'. She was my guide through her books in my learning what to get rid of in my house.... perfumes, artificial fragrances, scented candles (also they are made of harmful petroleum - soy based are great), matresses, paints, on and on.

I don't know what I would have done without her! I had to learn from scratch about toxins. And what are healthy alternatives.