Profuse SWEATING!!! Need help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ertekate, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ertekate

ertekate New Member

I think I'm leaking away!!! No joke, I probably sweat 1/2 to 1 cup a day. Sometimes I'm not even hot and I start to drip. I've soaked the bed for the last several nights, and had to change nightgowns in the middle of the night.

I'm bathing twice a day - once a bedtime, so that I'm not grungy, and another in the morning because hair, skin, etc. are drenched.

I'm on estrogen and, besides, I did the menopause thing years 15 ago in a hysterectomy. I drink lots of everything, so I don't think dehydration is likely.

Does sanyone else experience this and is there anything to be done about it? Draining away, KatieB
  2. tilla

tilla New Member

when my thyroid is out of whack I have sweating problems. Plus antidepressants tend to make me hot all the time.

Tilla
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

It's not constant, but I get it at different times, sometimes at night and sometimes during the day. I had my thyroid removed in February and am still hypothyroid (low), so I think it could be from that. Plus, I've had a hysterectomy and after being on HRT for years, my doctor took me off of them about a year ago. I would definitely ask your doctor to check out your thyroid along with other testing.

Don't you just hate it though? I feel like I need to take at least two to three showers a day just to feel clean.

Dara
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I don't sweat alot just only on my head and neck and face. Walking thought astore within a few moments I will be dripping with sweat running down the back of my neck. I wil look like I just got out of the shower and didn't even towel dry my hair. And if that is not enough I will be standing looking at a book to ead and I will have drops that go PLOP ! on the floor, my glasses, my shirt you name it. But it is only me head, I drip drop and dribble with the sweat as it runs downs my neck and on the the back of my head , It will be a wet as if I was in the shower, IT is so smbarassing to be be writing a checcck and have the sweat Dripping in BIG DROPS, that hit the check and leave a wet splotch on the check and I will have drops of sweat running down my face faster than I can wipe them off.

I look like i have been caught ina sudden down pour and have been soaked to the skin and I will have drops of water hitting my glasses, and nose and in myeyes and it really bites so much, I thought that when they did my total abdominal hyeserectomy in 1990 that I was in surgical menopause and I would, no thave to go the all the hot flashes as i was going th ough them NOW right after the surgery and it sucked.

It hass been 15 years since they removed my uterus, tubes, cervix, and all that made me able to bear children. So I don't have a uterus , ovaries, tubes, cervix and my appendix too. so no more babies for me I was 34 years old and i wanted another baby but I could not get pregnant.
    AFter the surgery I got the repooort, My ovaries I had vercosous viens that swelled with each months cycle.O had a cyst on the left ovary that was the size of a large ducks egg, it was filled with everything but eggs, there may have been a few but not many of them, I had infection in that oveary and it was so bad, my right ovary had cysts in it instead of eggs, and the uterus was just mixed up instead of having endometerusis i had the reverse, every month with my cycle started the blood viens of the uterus would raise and maaake the layer for the embryo but I didn'tget pregnant so it would all go out the normal way but the veins were do seal off before they went back into the uterus and mine kept on bleeding in to the unterus muscle. and it was NOT fun. I had a infection in my appendix so it was good that it was gone to. but I had a hard time healing from this surgery. Emotionally it was so hard as i did want a baby so bad and I could not have one. But I got over it, I had hot flashes and night sweats from the day I had the surgery and was given estrogen shots to ease it and they didn't help much only causing me MORE PAIN.

I don't have night sweats and I am not on the hormaones either as they didn't seem to do a thing for me, so I quit taking them over a year ago and I had more surgery to pull up what had fallen down and couldn't get back up after the hyester. MY vaginia had twisted inside out and my bladder fall down and so they fixed it all and now a year and a half later the only sweating I do is when I Move and my head, neck ,face and hair all sweat and drip, drip and i don't like it at all. Buyt other than that I am " Normal as normal can be"

I don't like the head sweating as it is emabressing to hae your facedripping sweat in to your eyes and down you face so fast that I can't keep it wiped up and my hair looks like i am in the shower soaking wet. I hope that it will chage soon as I really don't like it atall.

rosemarie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us are sensitive to exposure to all kinds of toxins in the environment. Our bodies will sometimes sweat to get rid of these toxins.

As mentioned above, infection will cause this. Many of us suffer from stealth chronic infections which aren't obvious.

When I'm in a flare, I sweat like a pig. I'm glad I found a way to put that delicately :)

Love, Mikie
  6. estelita

estelita New Member

I always just blamed it on being German!!! :)
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I think the Dr's are the only ones who can determine what is causing it.

I'm 49, hypothyroid, on anti-depressents and supposedly have a zero estrogen reading (I had a hysterectomy at 34, but they left one ovary in)

I stopped estrogen two years ago and only had the occasional sweats. Now it's ten times worse. Unfortunately, because we seem to get so many varying conditions, I honestly don't think it boils down to one answer.

If anyone get's one, let me know. I'd love it.

Eileen

8. gravitychallenged

gravitychallenged New Member

I don't get the sweating nearly as bad as most of you but I still do get hot flashes now and then - had a surgical hysterectomy 10 years ago. This may sound silly but the only thnig that helps me when I get like that is to literally stick my head in the freezer for several minutes. And I meen really get it in there. after about 3-5 minutes, my body temperature cools off enough to give me some relief that lasts for a good hour or so.

GC
  9. ertekate

ertekate New Member

These are some excellent ideas, and I'll talk to the doc the next time I see him.

I mostly sweat from the collarbone up - the rest of me behaves pretty normally.

I am on Vicodin for pain, and it may be tied to that. Anyway, I'll check it out.

Once again, thank you for all of your input! {{{ hugs}}} KatieB
  10. glafdy

glafdy New Member

Rosemarie - I can sympathize with you because I have the same problem. I have had this problem since I was 30 (I am now 54). The doctor has run every test imaginable. They have checked my thyroid, he took me off every medication for awhile. I had a complete hysterectomy at age 45, no change in the sweating.

Any small amount of heat, exertion, or stress will cause me to literally drip all over. It is so VERY embarrasing. In my job that I had until last fall when I went on disability, I would have to get up in front of groups and talk - I felt so foolish because my hair was wet and dripping, my glasses wouldn't stay on because my face was so wet, the salt from sweating got in my eyes, dripped on my notes, and who knows what I said when I was up there.

If you can find an answer to get rid of all this sweat, I'm ready to hear it.

I'm all wet - alot of the time. Glafdy
  11. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I feel your pain. Or shall I say, your sweatiness. Now, that didn't sound a bit nice, so let me start over!

I too, was told I did not have to worry about going through menopause after my hyster because I went through enough after having that done. But gosh-dog it, about three weeks ago the sweating started up and it would manifest itself as a little heater kicking on in my insides and the next thing I knew I'd be so hot I'd feel as if I could not breathe!

The hyster was done while I was in my thirties and I am now looking at 50 so I am making an appointment to see my GYN and have my hormone levels tested ASAP.

Have you had any other symptoms that may reflect a hormone imbalance, such as mood swings and/or insomnia? The later, insomnia, is a tricky one as most of us fibro folks don't sleep all that well, but the insomnia I have developed means pretty much no sleeping at all. I hope you will get checked and let us know what you find out!
  12. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

i have always been a sweater. sweat a lot when i do exercise and when i get nervous or am in a social situation.

i just think of it as one of thoses things and try not to get too hung up on it. as soon as i become aware of it it gets worse, and then worse. so like i said i try not to let it worry me.

it's pretty hot in london today and i am sitting wearing a t-shirt with salt stains on it from sweating!
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Rosemarie, I do that face, head sweating too after dinner. I have always thought it was because I have had diabetes for 28 years. It can be so bad that I have to go to the family room to sit under the ceiling fan. Seems to be related to if I eat a hot dinner or not.

I don't have night sweats because I sleep under a ceiling fan on medium all night and morning.

It's miserable... If I go outside I'll do the head and face sweating too. Can't figure out why it is just my head and face.

I am on meds for hypothyroidism. I'm past menopause and mine started when I was 39 and I'm 55 now. I'm not on any HRT.

I just figured the sweating was a complication of diabetes and being obese.

Hugs,
    Cat
  14. longrdhome

longrdhome New Member

Hi
    I've been taking baths with epson salts, 5 cups in the water and I have been sweating alot less, because this helps to release toxins, I learned this from my massage therapist, and for Fibro, athritis it helps when you overdo it, or you just plain hurt. I take one of these epson salt baths 3 times a week and afterwards just sit and relax for about 15 minutes at least. I have been having trouble with sweating for years and I believe this has helped a great deal. Good luck, HeatherK
  15. cgburdette

cgburdette New Member

It is horrible. I have to change my clothes at least twice during the night. I've had blood work...sometimes it comes and goes..had it before, during and after my last pregnancy, so it doesn't seem to be related to hormones.
  16. maggierae

maggierae New Member

I've had this sweating just like you all have described for almost 5 years. I've never heard of anyone else having this. It RUNS from my scalp and down my forehead and everywhere else too. I take an antidepressant and thyroid med, plus other things for panic. I also take PremPhase. I haven't been able to figure out why this is happening. It's very embarrassing. I'm sorry for all of you who have this, but I'm glad I'm not alone!
    maggierae
  17. carebelle

carebelle New Member

18. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I don't have anything to add to what everyone else has said except ME TOO! It is embarrassing and in the hot summer I feel actually nausea and ill.

Sweaty hugs to all of you
    Redwillow