Progabalin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jillsy, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Has this drug been FDA approved. If so, does anyone have experience with it insofar as pain control is concerned?
    thanks for your help.
    Jillsy
  2. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Has this drug been FDA approved. If so, does anyone have experience with it insofar as pain control is concerned?
    thanks for your help.
    Jillsy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From the name of the drug that it deals with GABA in the brain. These types of drugs are usually not pain meds, but rather meds to regulate the amoung of GABA which affects our ability to sleep, our anxiety, and our sensory overload. That said, when these symptoms are treated, it usually does affect our levels of pain, but not directly as with opiods.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The drug is called PREGABALIN, and is the newer, much stronger version of Neurontin.
    I believe it is not quite available yet. It is in the final trials and is showing all the signs of being a winner.
    Since it's action would be similar to Neurontin, I recommend a search of old posts here on Neurontin to get an idea of what it does. There was a good article on this posted here just a couple of days ago.
    You could also do a websearch on it and would probably find many articles on the research being done.
    Klutzo
  5. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Klutzo...thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know that it was like Neurontin. In fact, it has been so long since I have done research on the subject of FM that I didn't even know that Neurontin was being used. I think there are other things I would like to try before taking such a drug.
    Have you tried Malic acid and Mag.??
  6. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever tried Malic acid and Mag.??
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, I've taken Malic acid and magnesium with no result. I now take plain magnesium citrate at bedtime (340 mgs.) just on general principles, since we know FMSers need more of it. I eat an apple every day, so that gives me malic acid. I talked to a doctor who had CFS and he told me most of the results he sees with the combo are people who have CFS, with fatigue as their main complaint, but that it doesn't work as well for those whose primary complaint is pain. It won't hurt you to try it, and I agree, always try the weaker stuff with less side-effects first. You might also try ZMA instead, which is sold here at ProHealth and really helps a lot of our members. My husband is taking it with great results as to increasing his energy, though he does not have FMS. Do a search of previous posts to find out more about ZMA.
    Klutzo
  8. solargirl451

solargirl451 New Member

Yes, I know of the drug. It is now in the second phase of clinical trials and will not be presented to the FDA for approval until March 15th. It may be one year from that point before it is on the market. I called Pfizer in New York City and talked with a pharmacist. She told me that the drug is primarily for neuropathic pain and anxiety. I asked if I could be in a clinical trial, but at this time they did not need me. I, as all of you, am desperate for pain relief. I hope this year passes quickly.
  9. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Thanks for the information on Magnesium. I saw my doc yesterday and she gave me a requisition for blood work to measure my magnesium level. If it's low, I'll give it a try.
    Usually, I manage quite well with a physiotherapist who is great at muscle releases. That along with exercise usually helps but,these days I am having a horrid exacerbation. It seems that all trigger points are on fire.
    Jillsy
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Solargirl - thanks for the clarification as to how far along in the approval process the drug is.

Jillsy - Blood is the last place Magnesium will be low....by the time it's low in your blood, you are in serious trouble. Research shows that FMS patients have very low TISSUE levels of magnesium, so I strongly suggest taking it anyway, even if your blood level is normal like mine is. All the time I run across people who are not taking Calcium when they have disorders like osteopenia, or hypothryoidism, both of which require calcium supplementation. Their reason? Their blood levels of calcium are normal. I could shoot doctors for not explaining this to patients, but then I remember that most docs know diddly about nutrition to begin with!

Klutzo
  11. Jillsy

Jillsy Guest

Hi and thanks for being so dilligent in passing on information. The reason I am having my blood level checked is because you have to be careful with taking Magnesium because it effects heart rhythm and various other things. So, I'll start with blood levels and then discuss with doc that which you have told me. Thanks again
    Jillsy
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Just me, being diligent again!
    The main risk in supplemental magnesium is kidney failure at high doses in those who already have kidney problems. And of course, diarreha, if you don't build up the dose slowly.
    The dose recommended for Fibro (about 350 mgs. daily) should not hurt you otherwise, and many of us have heart rhythm problems like PVC's from Mitral Valve Prolapse, that respond favorably to the magnesium, since our tissues are so deficient in it.
    Most doctors know zero about nutritional subjects. I hope yours is not one of those.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo