Progesterone cream

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, May 15, 2003.

1. namow

namow New Member

I wonder who has tried progesterone cream any side effects or did it help?? I just started it today and wondering. My doctor thinks it would help my depression and sleep.
    I would appreciate any help with this
  2. baybe

baybe New Member

I swithched from Prempro or whatever the pill form of hormones are after hearing Jake Teitlebaum speak at the Fibromyalgia Convention in DC. My progesterone is mixed with something called Estriol, don't ask me, I'm the worst at keeping track of medications. Too tell the truth I don't really know if it makes a difference or not. I decided to take hormones due to the fact their is a history of osteo-perosis (sp) in my family. Teitlebaum was adamant that if you take hormones, make sure they are human and not horse urine. My only problem with this cream is remembering to apply it. Also, it took me time to decide where I wanted to apply it. I found that when applied to the inside of the legs I tended to have to put it politely a very earthy smell, the gals whom this cream is derived from are definitely producing all the healthy oils and secretions young women are so abundant in. I finally decided to apply it under my armpit seems to be less active at that point. I do believe it has helped with my menopausal symptoms and I have taken up sweating and secreting those oils that keep my skin from drying up.
    So good luck and good for you. From Fatigued to Fantastic is Teitelbaum's book he may have more information on it in there
  3. catnip51

catnip51 New Member

Hi, I've been using natural porgesterone cream for about a year now. I'm 51 and there are good articles on it so I figure it can't hurt ya and Lord knows going through menopause we need all the help we can get. I have noticed I do sleep better since I've been using it so it must be doing something.

Cathie
  4. nct

nct New Member

I'm actually on the cream as well. I'm only 34, and am on the bc patch.

My DO's assistant put me on it, and they really want to get me off the bc, but I said no to that.
    The assistant said so many people are estrogen dominant anyway, and with me on the patch, I certainly am.

I don't know if it has helped, but it hasn't hurt. I've had a reduction in my headaches, but I'm also seeing a chiropractor, and we think that's because of the adjustments.

I use J Teitelbaum's sleep formula at night, so there you go.

I actually put the cream on before I go to bed, on the inside of my upper arms. No smell concern, b/c I wash it off in the shower the next morning before I go to work...

good luck.

Nancy
  5. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

I am post-meno and have tried various forms of hormone replacement. Natural progesterone cream works the best. From what I've read and researched, progesterone levels drop considerably lower than estrogens do when hormones start to decline. At meno, levels are at almost zero, while production of estrogen is only reduced 40-60%. The best way to achieve balance is with natural progesterone (that is bio-identical to what our bodies produce). There are two ways - with the cream (no prescription needed) and in micronized capsule form (prescription needed). Progesterone is calming and does indeed help with sleep problems. I also read that progesterone is superior to estrogen in protecting bones as it actually helps lay down new bone not just keep what's there. It is important that the cream has 500mg progesterone per ounce so that each 1/4 teaspoon has approx 20mg (this is the therapeutic dose, give or take). Different creams have different supporting factors and that is a matter of preference. I began learning about all this when I became convinced that fibro is somehow related to declining hormones. If you type Dr John Lee in a search engine, you will find more info and a list of creams that have 500 mg per ounce. Hope you find all this helpful.

Cheers
    Carolyn
  6. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I have been using progesterone cream for the last couple of years, and it has helped me tremendously. The only side effect I don't like is that it increases my appetite - not something I need!
    Kitty =^..^=
  7. namow

namow New Member

Thank you so much for answering my question, it sure helps to hear the results from people who has done it before you.
    Good luck to all of you!!!!
    Namow
  8. angelheart

angelheart New Member

I am on the Guai Protocol and after looking at the ingredients in the cream I am afraid it would block the Guai because it contains sals. This is a huge disappointment because I have endometreosis and am having a terrible time with it. My FM is so much better on the Guai that I am afraid to do anything to change that. What to do, what to do! My chiro (who is my niece) really wanted me to try it. She just started her practice and is studying to learn the Guai protocol so she can help others too, so she doesn't fully understand how it works yet....but she is a trying!

Blessings,

Angelheart