PROLOTHERAPY Anyone trythis with Results??.......................

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Jul 11, 2005.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I was wondering if you have heard about Prolotherapy for sprained or torn ligaments. I hurt my top ankle area-- anterior talofibular ligament over six months ago. I didn't get anywhere with the Podiatrist that I saw, and I just chalked it up to -- Fibromyalgia, since I have it in my back.

I came across an article about RSD in the feet. It said that the area affected is the ANt. talo. lig. This is where my pain is exactly. The article also said that Prolotherapy could be used to help strengthen the tendons and ligaments. Have you heard of this therapy? Also, what doctor should I see? An Orthopaedic? Could it still help if it is Fibro?

Thanks for any help, I guess I am getting desperate here. I use to hike in the E. Sierras and walk a lot.

-Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006]
  2. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Dr. Mark Pellegrino recommended it for me due to tendonitis and ankle sprain that wouldn't heal.

One of his partners Dr. Vladimir Djurik was the only doctor (in the state of Ohio at that time) who was certified to do prolotherapy.

It helped considerably but the injections sure did hurt.

Cindy
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I do appreciate your responses. I will look into the prolotherapy. I feel like I need to at least try something,
    thanks again,

Laura
  4. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

OsteoMed (Dr. Sherri Tenpenny's office in Middleburg Heights) is now offering it so now there are two doctors in Ohio who do prolotherapy.

C. Everett Koop used it in the 1950's for his back.

By the way, simply put-it's sugar water, it works, and my insurance covered it!

Cindy
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

I have had most of it done on my back VERY successfully. I have had them done in my ankle....but that was before we knew parts of it were way past the point of no return!

I did OK with the "sugar water",but the sodium morulate (fish oil type injectable) gave me a massive headache. The shots are painful,but worth it. What you are actually doing is "recreating" the injury,and giving your body another chance to heal.

I think they said the healing opportunity post-injury was up to 72 hrs,then you were done....the series of shots keeps the healing process going. You will be a bit sore though. The doctor explained it like tack-welding and he was scarring things back into place. Daneen
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I have an appointment with the Podiatrist next week. I will ask him about prolotherapy. I also found an Osteopathic doctor who does this in San Diego. I hope it helps, now both of my ankles hurt.

Thanks for ALL of your help.......
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Just letting you know that Ralph was banned from the board a few months ago.
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi, I'm not quite sure why Stormy bumped this, I knew Ralph was banned, sorry to see him go--thanks anyway....

Laura