Prolotherapy anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renner43, Mar 15, 2003.

1. renner43

renner43 New Member

Monday, march 17 I am going in for prolotherapy. I'm terrified! Has anyone had this treatment before??? I need to hear about others experiences. PLEASE? Robin
  2. tiredtim

tiredtim New Member

I've read about this and asked my Dr. about it, but he didn't know anything, so I'm anxious to hear about your experiences! Please come back to the board and tell us about the therapy and if it helped!

Tim

Also, would be interested to know where, as there are none around here who practice it.
  3. dolly79

dolly79 New Member

I have had it before and it really helped me. It may take 4-5 treatment sessions but it has good results. Mine have lasted for several years and I have had two rounds of treatment. My brother-in-law has had it done numerous times (he even went to Canada to have it done before they could do it in the US)and it has helped him to remain active even though he has MS. I have just been diagnosed this week with FMS and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It is good to know I'm not crazy though. I have also got an app't this week with a doctor who does prolotherapy and I hope to be able to have the treatment done again. My old doctor is not around anymore and I am traveling quite a distance to see this new doctor. That should tell you how anxious and desperate I am for some relief. Good luck to you!!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Robin, welcome to the board. Can't help With the Prolotherapy, just stopped to welcome you.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. renner43

renner43 New Member

Thanks to all of your responses. I made it through the first set of injections..It hurts but it's supposed to. I'll post more as I go along.
  6. dolly79

dolly79 New Member

I went to see a new doctor this week so I didn't know if he would go ahead and do the treatment but he did. It was really painful this time and he said that just showed how bad I was. I had it two days ago and am still in pain but I know it will help in the long run. I hope this treatment works as well for you as it has for me in the past. Good luck! Angela
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

on April 29th. My Dr. has prescribed an anesthetic cream to use on my skin two hours before my appointment.

Karen
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't have any idea what Prolotherapy is. Can you explain it to me? Maybe it's something that might help me.
    Thanks.
  9. renner43

renner43 New Member

There are several books at Barnes and Nobles about Prolotherapy. Basically they inject dextrose and lydicane into a tender point. It then causes an inflamation which somehow heals the spot. I'm taking the conservative route and only having small sections done at a time (I have FM throughout my entire body!) There are usually 4-6 treatments with 6 weeks between each treatment. I believe in this doctor (unlike others) and think he knows what he's doing. It hurts while it's being done, but I'm used to pain. I've tried many other approaches so I'm hoping this will be THE CURE? I hope that answered your question. Robin