Prolotherapy here too

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Mar 18, 2003.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I saw my osteo today. He had suggested we try prolotherapy a couple of years ago after my last back surgery, but several months of physical therapy improved my back. Today I asked him about injecting my elbows again since I cannot even lift a gallon of milk, or a pot when I'm cooking right now. I had sworn off cortisone injections because they didn't have much effect on me, but at this point I will take any little bit of relief I can get. Since the cortisone injections haven't really helped me in ANY of the locations I've had it, he suggested prolotherapy for my elbows.

So........when I go back in 6 weeks I'm going to have it done on both elbows.

This is directly quoted from the patient info he gave me:

"Prolotherapy involves injecting dextrose, xylocaine, sodium morrhuate, glycerin or phenol into structures, which may have been damaged, are loose, or causing chronic pain. This procedures does NOT involve the injections of corticosteroids. Experiments in both animals and humans have shown that such structures are thickened and strenghtened by this therapy. Randomized, double blind studies have shown this to be an effective therapy in relieving chronic pain.

Prolotherapy involves injecting small amounts of solution into ligamentous structures that are painful and/or weak. Depending on the site and size of area involved, this may necessitate many injections at one office visit. These injections are uncomfortable because they require multiple needle sticks. Many patients tolerate this, but some patients may require oral pain medication or anesthetic cream for pain control prior to the procedure.

After the procedure, most patients feel fullness and numbness in the areas injected. Often times their pain is relieved at this point because of the local anesthetic; subesequently over the next 24-48 hours, the pain may return and may be initially more severe. It then gradually reduces in intensity.

Results vary from having little or no pain after injection and pain stays relieved permanently, to pain being relieved initially but returning after 2-3 weeks necessitating further injection.

The number of injections to obtain relief varies considerably from patient to patient and injury to injury. Some people are relieved totally with one injection; others usually require a series of injections, sometimes totaling 15-20 sessions. Generally, if there is no relief after 3-4 injections the therapy will not be pursued"
  2. bejo

bejo New Member

I've never heard of it.Let us know if it helps.Sorry this is so short,I think my fog is thick tonight.LOL
    bejo
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

There have been a few posts on it recently. Renner43 was supposed to have it done yesterday. I'm really interested to hear the results. This is new to me too.

Karen