PROMETRIUM ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi All,

This disease also messes with your hormones, as you know.

Anyone have any experience with prometrium, the progestrone supplement?

My Gyno has prescribed it for me for low progestrone, heavy periods, thickening uterine wall and PMS.

I"M AFRAID TO TAKE IT!

I have to take baby doses of everything, I get many side effects. I read the pamplet that came with the prescribtion and it scared me. Dizziness, migraines, sick stomach, etc.

2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I really really like this hormone. When I first started taking it (for PMS), I got a dramatic improvement in my life.

I would tend to think that it's far better than the alternative that might have been prescribed (fake progesterone, called progestin) and am impressed that your doctor prescribed it.

The pamphlet describes the side effects from progestin---they just put the same one in the progesterone. I don't know huge numbers of people who have taken this, but the only side effects I've heard of from books are sleepiness and maybe minor temporary depression.

They have peanut oil in them. If you're allergic to peanuts, you shouldn't take it. (I do have a minor peanut allergy, but I think they're really talking about deadly ones.)

Unfortunately it only comes in 100 mg softcaps, and so you can't experiment with a lower dosage.

Hopefully if you do well on it (I'd imagine you probably will although CFS sufferers' bodies are weird and you never know), other people here will consider it. I think it's extremely underutilized.

A good book about hormones is called "Natural Hormone Balance for Women" by Uzzi Reiss M.D. It has several chapters on natural progesterone.
  3. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Pro gest from the health food store. Im trying to get off meds and I have the same problems you do it sounds like. I just rum 1/4 tsp on the back of my arms every morning and thats it. I also take female support which has black cohash (sp) and a bunch of stuff in it. I have been doing this for two months and I believe I am seeing a difference. My husband doesnt want his breakfast to go now!!! LOL. I read this book called pre-menapause what you doctor wont tell you and followed her advise.
    Hope you get to feeling better.
    Melinda
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have taken it for years. I originally started taking it years ago for PMS. It really helped with PMS symptoms.

I now take it as part of HRT along with a low dose estrogen patch. (I'm in menopause now)

Prometrium is a micronized progesterone and supposed to be as close to our own natural progesterone as you can get.

It comes in two sizes: 100mg and 200mg softcaps.

I took 100mg for several years at bedtime. After I went to FFC, they uppped me to 200mg.

I'm about to go back down to 100mg. From everything I have read and from my OB/Gyn and PCP, it is a good source of natural progesterone. I've been happy with it.

If you want a lower dose than the 100mg, you could take 100mg every other day.
  5. TKB

TKB New Member

I have used Prometrium for many years without any side effects. Chose it because it is a bio-identical, natural progresterone (vs. synthetic) and to complement the estrogen (also bio-identical) I have been taking.

My only concern with it is that only a small percentage is actually absorbed/available because it goes through the liver first, etc.I've been struggling with heavy periods and a D & C recently, and the gyn wanted to insert a synthetic progestin secreting IUD to stop the bleeding - I am 51 and am in menopause according to my estrogen level - "9", yet, still was having heavy, frequent periods. Doesn't make any sense.

So, I thought perhaps because of the CFS/hormone problems, that maybe the Prometrium (progesterone) is being converted to something else (many other hormones) instead of being used as progesterone... Thought maybe I am still estrogen dominant and that might be causing the bleeding. My estrogen levels were as high as 611 at one time. So, I recently added topical progesterone from the health food store along with the Prometrium and sure enough my bleeding/heavy periods stopped!

I am not sure if what I am doing is the right thing, but I wasn't getting good medical advice from the gyn - she just did the D & C and told me I was a "hormonal mess!" I didn't want the synthetic progestin or an IUD, so decided to use my own intuition about the problem and so far it is working. You do have to be careful not to use too much progesterone, but as we age, progesterone levels drop faster than estrogen. I think I probably wasn't getting enough progesterone for some reason.

Good luck.

TKB
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I took this for several years without side effects. I went off my hormones a while ago. The only thing my Gyno said was to take it in the evening as it can cause sleepiness. I'm not sure it did but I took it in the evening anyway.

They have to list every side effect that ever surfaced even if it only happened to one person! If you need it, give it a try. It's one of the better ones.

Kathy
  7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Thank you all Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your replies. I'll take it tonight and report back how I do.

This is why I love this place.
  8. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

I had just posted a question for Lisa P. about this.

I have a new Rx for Prometrium, 100mg. I too am a little nervous about taking it.

However, I like the idea of starting out with one tablet every other day. I'll try this!

Thanks everyone.

Jillian
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Over the counter progesterone is not very strong and also varies from batch to batch.

If I were to use a progesterone cream, I would get it compounded so that I knew exactly how much I was using.

Of course, not all doctors use compounding pharmacies.
  10. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I tried the over the counter creams with no success, and I tried it for over a year.
  11. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have porphyria and am very sensitive to hormones, so I poked a hole in the capsule with a pin and rubbed a little on my skin every day. It still made me a little dizzy and like I had morning sickness, but reduced the heavy periods.

Jan
  12. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Oh boy, I hate to hear that.

I have a anxiety disorder and one of my "things" is being dizzy or sick like that.
  13. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Just wanted to update those who are interested. I did not take it last night. The last post made me afraid to take it.
    (yes, I'm THAT bad..)
  14. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

I have a small pitutary adenoma/tumor which messes with my hormone levels periodically and was placed on Prometrium which actually didn't do anything for me, but we're all different. What helped lower my testosterone which ultimately got my progesterone levels normal was Aldactone/Spirolonactone. Unfortunately, the side effects of Aldactone are extreme muscle pain and weakness...as if I need anymore of that! lol

I'm in the .5% that reacts to meds, foods, herbs (don't try them anymore), certain vitamins, scents, etc., so I know how you feel about having reservations as to whether you should try the med.

I'd say try it and see what happens. It doesn't work overnight, but it can be very effective. It just wasn't for me. I was 28 at the time. I'm now 32. Best of luck! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just wanted to share my experience with it.

Keep us posted!

LB32 (Leeza)
  15. actually FOR SLEEP...kind of my integrative medicine doctor's, safer, last-ditch, more 'natural' approach (as opposed to the Ambien, Lunesta, etc-which didn't work either, and $$$$). It did not help me, and .....I have NO CLUE how y'all even SWALLOW THOSE things!

Mine were very deceptive-looks-wise...little round Sixlet (chocolate candy :) looking orange pill...I've taken horse pills, that were like sandpaper, and got those down (4, 3 times a day!) easier than the Prometrium pill! :-0 ??
    (the horse-pill/sandpaper-just if you're curious, (LOL) was Viokase...prescription digestive enzymes for my pancreas problems...and, I'd put them in pudding, and could swallow them.

I put prometrium in pudding....pudding would all go down, pill stuck in throat everytime. Or...my spasms (esophageal) would "clobber" that sucker & I'd get a massively painful knot, where the pill was stuck.. OUCH.

It may* be me..I've been having problems with spasms, my throat 'sticking' to itself (HUH?! LOL) when I just sometimes swallow even saliva, (I have no clue to see 1.) neuro,(MS-type issue?) 2.) primary doc,(swollen glands/thyroid) 3.) gastro (reflux can cause trouble swallowing/spasms, or a new doc for me, 4.) Ear, Nose, & Throat doc...

Another I had major trouble with, was Flagyl? I think..NEVER will I take that again. (I also reacted TERRIBLY (Nausea) with it), and, those pills were nearly identical to Phenergan, which I've been on for yrs at a time, with no prob, the Flagyl was just slightly thicker..same shape, size, etc just thicker...

I'm really sorry you have anxiety, and that it can be so severe. We all have our "issues" so-to-speak. I've just in the past 14 months, or so...began to develop severe anxiety....I didn't even know at first, I was just quickly isolating (SEVERELY-I talk to my sister, and my husband. that is IT)....and then other problems/panic situations happened. One, so bad, in our truck, on the interstate, that had me clutching the inside handle (what the heck are those called in trucks/SUV's???)

(people in Indiana call them Oh SH** handles!, LOL)

anyways, clutching it so hard, you'd have thought I was going to rip it right off, and also at the same time, had my head IN MY LAP, BAWLING so hard, I became very sick to my stomach. Hubby had to get off the interstate at an exit.....I never would have imagined that would happen...did NOT understand it at ALL, and it was TERRIBLE!

The only thing I can think of, is that, I had a bad car accident, at age 19, and....now??? when I'm not driving (I dont anymore...not really able, for many reasons), I'm extremely uncomfortable in vehicles, ESPECIALLY on the interstate.. and, it's worst, in our truck, I'm terrified, because it rides "rough" so to speak...it just feels so wobbly to me, at higher speeds...I freak.

Lovely, lovely, isolating illness.

Anyways, I hope* honestly, that you can possibly allow yourself to try this med, it may really help you. Lord knows it would be WONDERFUL to have lighter, less painful periods, and you definitely do not want the thickening of your uterine wall, that's no good.

Hugs,

Laura

I use Natural Woman (I THINK???) Progesterone cream, from the GNC store, my dietician & integrative med doc, want me on this.....now I have bad sweating issues...they HAD gone away, around sept-oct...now I've gotten a bad cold...(NO fever now..)and sweating again...It worries me that it could get as bad as previously....which was not tolerable..I hope the cream stops them, or after this cold they'll go away...but, I had them one day last month, too, so I think it's possibly hormone related, rather than due to this cold I have...

I've been told to (my progesterone levels were actually HIGH....so, I have NO clue....low* estrogen, DHEA, and my testosterone was "in the basement")--but, I was told to use the cream, and even avoid "estrogen dominant" foods*, due to an ovarian cyst, I've had for 6 yrs.. (along with staying on a strict elimination diet...the dietician said* the cyst should* just "shrink right up, in time"....well, it hasn't...in fact, my last check up (first in 2 yrs! oops) showed it's actually *grown* .4cm UGH!

(singing--VERY sarcastically) "I enjoyyyyy being a girlll"