protecting myself for the future

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nitalynn, Dec 15, 2002.

1. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

I have a question. I sincerely hope I wont have to use this information. I work full time and at this point I cannot see myself having to give it up but I do read some real horror stories here, and I do believe them. There may come a day when I am simply not able to go on. What do I need to be doing now to protect myself legally?
  2. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

I have a question. I sincerely hope I wont have to use this information. I work full time and at this point I cannot see myself having to give it up but I do read some real horror stories here, and I do believe them. There may come a day when I am simply not able to go on. What do I need to be doing now to protect myself legally?
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

is to be sure that you have good documentation of your illness. Keep up on seeing your doctor, getting appropriate tests done, etc.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

My job had a wonderful disability plan. A few years ago they added it and made it opt out and very inexpensive, under $10 a month, so just about everyone kept it. It has been a lifesaver for me since I am single. I guess that would be my suggestion, like Mel's, to look into a disability plan if you are not already covered. However you need to be careful about exclusion of pre-existing conditions. Sometimes they only have a limit, like a year.

Good luck to you. I have CFS with NMH anad FM. If it were only the FM I might still be working, but the NMH and CFS are really disabling to me.

Barbara
  5. Mariah

Mariah New Member

teach6 (Barbara): you said "If it were only the FM I might still be working, but the NMH and CFS are really disabling to me."

How do you know the difference in your symptoms between the FMS and the CFIDS? I have FMS and have often wondered if I have CFIDS as well but I've never brought it up to a dr and no dr has ever suggested it to me. So if I was going on the assumption that my degree of daily struggle is the FMS only, I'd have to say that your statement is unfair to those who suffer greatly with their FMS. I am unable to work because of the FMS and it has all but destroyed my life.

My sister and mother have both been dx'd as having FMS but what they experience compared to what I do, is like comparing a scratch on the skin to a broken arm. My mom's only FMS symptom is occasional pain in her neck and a chiropractor told her that she has FMS. My sister has widespread mild muscle tenderness and a lot of pain in a hip she had replaced and was dx'd by a dr as having FMS. So naturally they think that I can't suffer as badly as I do, since they've been given their bogus dx's. (They weren't given the tender point test, etc.)

Perhaps I also have CFIDS and that is where the heart of all my problems are, but I've read so many posts from people who's only dx is the FMS and their whole lives have been destroyed as mine has. So my question for you is, do you really think that FMS is a benign condition compared to CFIDS? That it's not as disabling for some? I ask this with respect, as my intentions are for you to look at this in a different light... to realize that both illnesses have varying degrees of disability and that one can be as bad as the other.
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I have Fibro... and I can't function... I think its hard to discrimate symptoms cause they are really ALL ONE THING!!!!! that's my personal opinion... Good luck~
  7. Mariah

Mariah New Member

dlizard- I think that it's a really good possibility that FMS and CFIDS are one in the same, too.
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

You guys misunderstood me. I didn't say FM is not disabling. I said for me FM is the least disabling of my dx's. NMH keeps me off my feet most of the time and with them propped up one way or another the rest of the time. It is also a contributor to my fatigue.

My CFIDS symptoms are by far my worst symptoms. I must take a nap every afternoon. I forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence. I get lost on familiar roads. I forget words I have used to most of my life. I often find math impossible to do. After doing my taxes for 24 years I have been unable to them for the past 7. I am almost always fatigued, even when I've just awakened. If I try to do something like cook a meal I have to lie for a long time to recover. Planting a few bulbs, sitting down, put me in bed for a day.

Trust me, I can tell which symptoms are which. I've read a lot and have learned to discern one from another.

I realize that many people are disabled from FM. All I said was it is not my most disabling dx.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2002]
  9. Mariah

Mariah New Member

I understand what you're saying now. I'm glad you replied to let us know....I feel much better about things now :)

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine but this whole time (since 1988) I have been told that it is from FMS. Do you think I should see a rheumy to ask about CFS? And what is NMH?

Sorry I got off on the wrong foot with you hon. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me.

10. lucky

lucky New Member

As you, having both CFS and FMS, the CFS in my case is also more disabling than the FMS - they are both bad enough - but on top of all the FMS problems the CFS symptoms do not make life easier. May be for some people these illnesses are overlapping and they don't know about it.
    Lucky