Protein helps with fatigue? It did!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Oct 22, 2010.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I doubt seriously if this will work every time, in fact, I'm pretty sure it WON'T, but I don't turn down ANYTHING that works even some of the time. I have accidentally discovered that having some protein will sometimes counteract my fatigue.

One day we were at me in-law's and I was just at the end of my energy so we left. We stopped by Walmart so my husband could go in and look for something and I stayed in the car. They didn't have what he wanted and he asked if I was too tired to go by Dick's Sporting Goods. I said it didn't matter to me cause I could sit in the car, but asked if we could get something to eat first. We went to McDonald's and I got a cheeseburger and after I ate I felt MUCH better (still stayed in the car though!).

Yesterday after work, I was drained so I came home and hit the sofa, but later I ate a balogna sandwich and again noticed I felt better. HMMM. So I tried a little experiment. Today I took to work with me a can of chunk chicken and ate that around noon when I was starting to wane, and again, it worked!! I was very excited! So I wanted to share and also to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks!
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

For anyone over the age of 50, we need more protein than younger people. I don't know how it affects energy, however, we do need it to maintain muscle. Are you making sure that you get protein with each meal every day? It could be that you haven't been eating enough.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Could you have blood sugar problems? Just a thought as this is one of the symptoms..

4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, lvjesus.

Many (and perhaps most) people with CFS find that a high-protein diet makes them feel better, and also that they don't gain as much weight as they do on a high-carb diet.

I think that the reason is that most PWCs are low in amino acids, which is what protein is broken down to when digested.

There appear to be two reasons for the low amino acids. One is that stomach acid is often low in PWCs, and the gut also has dysbiosis. The result is that protein is not digested well, and bacteria tend to ferment the amino acids in the gut, rather than them being absorbed into the body.

The other reason is that the Krebs cycle in the mitochondria is not able to burn carbs and fats well in CFS, because of a partial block at aconitase, due to oxidizing free radicals, which rise because of glutathione depletion. So carbs are converted to stored fat, and ingested fats are stored, also, causing weight gain and not supplying energy.

Amino acids can be burned by the Krebs cycle in PWCs, because they are able to enter the cycle downstream of the partial block. So they supply energy, but this also means that they are burned up, and not available for the other things they are normally used for, such as building the proteins that the body needs, and they go low.

Eating a high-protein diet can help some, but in my opinion, the ultimate solution to this problem is to get glutathione back up, so that this partial block can be lifted. To do that,
    we have found that it is necessary to lift a partial block in the methylation cycle, which is upstream of glutathione synthesis.

If you want to read about a suggested treatment for doing this, as well as the results of a clinical study of the treatment, you can find them at www dot cfsresearch dot org by clicking on CFS/M.E. and then on my name.

If you are interested in testing to see if you have a partial methylation cycle block, you can ask your doctor or chiropracter to order the methyation pathways panel. The contact info for this panel is below.

I am not financially connected with this lab test or with the supplements used in the treatment protocol I've suggested. My position is that a person must be under the care of a physician when using this treatment. A small number of people have experienced serious adverse effects while on this treatment. About two-thirds of those who have tried it have reported significant improvement.

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
    540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 4930
    South Amboy, NJ 08879
    Phone: (732) 721-1234
    Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I am sure you probably should eat protein with each meal. It sounds like you've been waiting until your blood sugar levels plummet before eating, which will wipe you out and obviously is not a good thing to do.

Rich was right, many of us have problems with getting enough protein for various reasons. I eat protein with every meal, and sometimes in between.

Some good snacks are nuts (almonds are really good), string cheese.

I eat low-carb (very little bread or rice or white potatoes or pasta), lots of veggies, moderate amount of fruit, and of course protein (meat, fish, yogurt, protein powder, nuts). It does help keep my weight under control as well.

6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I should have said I have fibro, but I know they are alike in many ways. Good info and something to think about. By the way, I just ate a bologna sandwich and now am eating some beans and I feel better already! Interesting...
  7. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Adequate protein is necessary for fibromyalgia patients, and it is also necessary in anyone with an infection--up to 50% more required daily--which of course makes it necessary for M.E. and often CFS patients, too.

Get your protein, everyone! It's absolutely essential!

I find myself feeling better with red meat, in particular, perhaps because of its high Co Q-10 content. Good for mitochondria. But regardless, protein in general we need. NEED.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You make a good point. We need a certain amount of protein and you listed a good source for them. We also need to balance our diet with the right amount of fruit, veggies and other food groups.

lvjesus, I would think that a cheeseburger at McDonald's would have more fat than anything else but I am not sure about that. I am not a doctor, but it does sound like you might be having blood sugar problems from my experience with the same sort of symptoms. But you can't just rely on symptoms.

Have you had a recent check up with blood tests. Not just a cbc but also liver function, thyroid, ferritin?

Sometimes we gtt so focused on our DD that we forget other things can be going on. I know this has happened to me several times.

Take care.

ETA Boy was I off. The number one content for a McDonald's cheeseburger is

For more information go to:[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2011]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have you read, "Excitoxins: The Taste That Kills?" The author talks about glutamate and how it interrupts the Krebs cycle and the production of energy. He also talks about how the excitoxins also kill neurons when the glutamate pierces the blood/brain barrier. He mentions how people who eat MSG, Aspertame, and other neuro-exictotoxins are low in glutathione.

As you know, I'm getting ready to do the peptide injections (I'm seeing the doc tomorrow to get the ball rolling) and, evidently, MSG can cause the injectiuons not to work. I've cleaned up my diet to rid it of as much MSG as possible and gotten rid of all processed foods. I no longer drink Diet Coke. Just changing my diet has helped me to feel better.

I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, and "natural" fish, poultry and meat. The fish is fresh caught and flash frozen, nothing raised on fish farms. The meat and poultry are raised without the use of hormones, ABX, or other substances. All are fed vegetarian diets. I buy organic produce where I can and where it's much safer, as in celery. This food tastes soooo much better and I don't need as much so it's costing me no more, and probably a little less, than to be eating poorly.

Soooo, I think while one is trying to increase glutathione, it is wise to get rid of foods which increase glutamate. It should make the methylation protocol work even better. Just a thought.

Love, Mikie